VIA's New Centaur Designed Isaiah CPU Architecture

CrazyBomber

Power Member
Então ainda ninguém postou isto aqui? Parece que a VIA anda a trabalhar bem :D

If you would have told me last year that I would be able to sit down and play Crysis on a VIA low power CPU, well, I think I would have to had called BS on that, but I did just that yesterday. That get your attention?
This new processor for Centaur and VIA will be an out-of-order superscaler single core CPU at launch. Initially it will not have SSE4 instructions but that will be added on one of it first updates later this year and even a dual core version is possible but not yet planned. The amazing thing about this new processor, which we will refer to as the "CN" (which has yet to be branded, and let's hope VIA comes up with something better than "C7" this time round) from here out, fits into the same power envelope as the current C7. A current C7 at 1.5GHz is rated at 25w TDP. A new CN at 2GHz should fetch 20w TDP or less. (I should mention here that TDP numbers are somewhat misleading. Under normal usage models a 2GHz would likely fetch between 2w to 5w. I also previously misstated that TDP was higher than 20w. 20w is correct and has been verified by Centaur.) Update - 012408:0957) The new CN is pin compatible with the C7 as well. It is entirely possible to take this new CN processor, which could be categorized as being at least “2X more powerful than the C7,” and drop it into current C7 devices. Launch is slated for "Spring of 2008."
We saw a 1.4GHz CN processors running a Blu-ray HD video easily as well as a 1.2GHz passsively cooled CN running 720P video content and plowing through a desktop application benchmark. (Updated 012408:0800_

Without a doubt, what was most impressive was seeing a 1.8GHz CN processor running Crysis. While I am not going to go out of on a limb and say it was the best Crysis experience you might have, there is no doubt that this low power “UMPC” processor was more than up to the task that I would never ever guessed possible on a VIA/Centaur CPU.
A 64-bit superscaler out-of-order processor with enough performance to run Crysis crammed into a 60mm^2 area pulling less than 35w that can be dropped into current UMPC devices fitting into the palm of your hand? Sign me up VIA.

Fonte: HardOCP

Nada que vos faça trocar o belo do QuadCore, mas parece-me uma óptima alternativa para Media centers, escritórios, etc. Bom bom era se fosse ao preço dos Celeron :D

No meu caso era o ideal para um media center. Mas e arranjar cpus desses em PT? eu pelo menos nunca os vi á venda... já agora, são compatíveis com x86? (se pensam implementar o SSE4 devem ser x86, mas alguem que confirme).

No meu caso era o ideal para um media center. Mas e arranjar cpus desses em PT? eu pelo menos nunca os vi á venda... já agora, são compatíveis com x86? (se pensam implementar o SSE4 devem ser x86, mas alguem que confirme).
Sim, são compatíveis com x86 e 64 bits.
Ainda não há à venda porque só saem esta primaveram, segundo ali diz :)

Claro que são x86 (embora a primeira implementação seja single-core).
Suportam o modo 64bit e SSE3, mas não SSE4.

Estas CPU's da VIA normalmente são vendidas em conjunto com a motherboard respectiva, muitas vezes até vem soldada directamente na mesma, em vez de se montar num socket.

Quanto a localizações, podes sempre tentar a loja online internacional.
Em PT há algumas firmas que vendem produtos deste tipo, mas normalmente são mais caros e a selecção é pequena, senão mesmo inexistente.

Sim, eu sei que ainda não sairam. Eu referia-me era a modelos anteriores, a VIA não é propriamente novata em CPUs de baixo consumo... e nunca os vi á venda.

EDIT: já vi a loja internacional, mt porreiro. Tou pensando arranjar um media center que sirva tb de servidor ftp, http, e faça stream de video. Nada de muito potente, é para uso caseiro :) tenho é que arranjar um que suporte uma placa de TV (que já possuo) ou que traga já uma integrada.

Última edição:
Muito bom para PCs "solid state" (sem componentes moveis / fans /whatever)
mas, a intel também tem CPUs de baixo consumo, e que desempenham tarefas quotidianas, com velocidade razoavel.

Ok, é bom para um VIA, mas não é suficientmente bom para despertar desde ja muita atenção.

VIA Launches VIA Nano Processor Family

VIA Technologies, Inc, a leading innovator of power efficient x86 processor platforms, today announced the new VIA Nano processor family based on the VIA Isaiah Architecture. Building on the market-leading energy efficiency of the VIA C7 processor family, the VIA Nano processor family offers as much as four times the performance within the same power range to extend VIA's performance per watt leadership, while pin compatibility with VIA C7 processors will ensure a smooth transition for OEMs and motherboard vendors, and provides them with an easy upgrade path for current system or board designs.

2531914993_fba076a5ca_o_thm.jpg
2531914693_6f7739f242_o_thm.jpg

The first 64-bit, superscalar, speculative out-of-order processors in VIA's x86 platform portfolio, VIA Nano processors have been specifically designed to revitalize traditional desktop and notebook PC markets, delivering truly optimized performance for the most demanding computing, entertainment and connectivity applications, including Blu-ray Disc HD video playback and the latest PC games, such as Crysis.

The VIA Nano processor family leverages Fujitsu's advanced 65 nanometer process technology for enhanced power efficiency, and augments that with aggressive power and thermal management features within the compact 21mm x 21mm nanoBGA2 package for an idle power as low as 100mW (0.1W), extending the reach of power efficient green and silent PCs, thin and light notebooks and mini-notes around the world.

"VIA Nano processors represent the next generation of x86 technology, providing the fundamental building blocks for a new genre of optimized computing solutions," said Wenchi Chen, President and CEO, VIA Technologies, Inc. "'Small is Beautiful' is more than a design strategy; it's our vision of where the PC market is heading and our new processors will help the market realize that dream."

VIA's 'nano' association also extends to VIA's signature silicon and platform design characteristics of power efficiency and form factor size reduction, as demonstrated by VIA's ultra compact Nano-ITX boards and the nanoBGA2 processor packaging used for the current VIA C7 processor family and the first generation of VIA Nano processors.

About the VIA Nano Processor Family
Initially to be launched in two skus, the VIA Nano L-series processors for mainstream desktop and mobile PC systems and the ultra low voltage U-series for small form factor desktop and ultra mobile devices such as mini-notes:

vianano.gif

The VIA Nano processor family boasts the highly efficient VIA V4 bus interface and brings a host of technology firsts to VIA's processor platform line-up, including:

* 64-bit Superscalar Speculative Out-Of-Order MicroArchitecture: Supports a full 64-bit instruction set and provides for macro-fusion and micro-fusion functionality, and sophisticated branch prediction for greater processor efficiency and performance.
* High-Performance Computation and Media Processing: The high-speed, low power VIA V4 Front Side Bus starting at 800MHz, plus a high floating point unit, support for new SSE instructions, and two 64KB L1 caches and 1MB exclusive L2 cache with 16-way associativity gives a big boost to multimedia performance.
* Advanced Power and Thermal Management: Aggressive management of active power includes support for the new "C6" power state, Adaptive PowerSaver Technology, new circuit techniques and mechanisms for managing the die temperature, reducing power draw and improving thermal management.
* Scalable Upgrade to VIA C7 Processor: Pin-to-pin compatibility with current VIA C7 processors enables a smooth transition for OEMs and mainboard vendors, enabling them to offer a wider range of products for different markets with a single board or system design.
* Greener Technology: In addition to full compliance with RoHS and WEEE regulations, product manufacturing will be halogen-free and lead-free at launch, helping to promote a cleaner environment and more sustainable computing.
* Enhanced VIA PadLock Security Engine: Industry-leading on-die hardware cryptographic acceleration and security features, including dual quantum random number generators, an AES Encryption Engine, NX-bit, and SHA-1 and SHA-256 hashing.

VIA Nano Processor Availability
VIA Nano processors are available now for OEMs and motherboard vendors, while systems featuring VIA Nano processors are expected to market in Q3 2008.

fonte

The first 64-bit, superscalar, speculative out-of-order processors in VIA's x86 platform portfolio, VIA Nano processors have been specifically designed to revitalize traditional desktop and notebook PC markets, delivering truly optimized performance for the most demanding computing, entertainment and connectivity applications, including Blu-ray Disc HD video playback and the latest PC games, such as Crysis.

:lol:

O Nano só não ganha em consumos em Load (+10W que o Atom) e perde ligeiramente em aplicações multithreaded, devido à capacidede de HyperThreading do Atom.

De resto, é bem mais rápido que o Atom.

O Nano só não ganha em consumos em Load (+10W que o Atom) e perde ligeiramente em aplicações multithreaded, devido à capacidede de HyperThreading do Atom.

De resto, é bem mais rápido que o Atom.
E consome mais um gazilião de watts. E é bem maior. As comparações só vão resultar em pancadaria :P

E consome mais um gazilião de watts. E é bem maior. As comparações só vão resultar em pancadaria :P

10W. E pela review dá a entender que são em parte por causa da board (mais componentes onboard do que a board do Atom).

As pessoas dizem que são duas categorias diferentes, mas eu não os acho assim muito diferentes. Afinal, vão ambos estar dentro de portáteis como o EEE ou o Wind.

10W. E pela review dá a entender que são em parte por causa da board (mais componentes onboard do que a board do Atom).

As pessoas dizem que são duas categorias diferentes, mas eu não os acho assim muito diferentes. Afinal, vão ambos estar dentro de portáteis como o EEE ou o Wind.
Não, não são 10W. O VIA apresenta TDP de 25W, ao passo que o Atom não passa dos 4W. A diferença é clara e significativa, se considerarmos o mercado a que o Atom se dirige. De facto, basta que a Intel jogue a cartada de mudar o chipset (o que, espero, se dê no futuro próximo) para alguma coisa que não seja produzida a 130nm e um poço sem fundo de consumo de energia, e os resultados serão ainda mais evidentes.

Com isto não quero trazer demérito nenhum ao nano. Na verdade, se o consumo energético não for uma limitação, supera bastante a performance do Atom numa situação real. Para netbooks, no entanto, a VIA tem ainda um caminho a percorrer - não creio que o U2300 ou o U2500 sejam capazes de competir com o Atom :/ (e o L2100 tem um TDP demasiado elevado para ser utilizado com sucesso).

I have spent a good week or so using both the Atom and Nano in a Windows Vista 32-bit environment, and I can tell you now that I never want to be subjected to Atom on the desktop again. Maybe I have been spoiled by high-end processors from Intel over the last year, but Atom on the desktop is sluggish and cumbersome at best. I would hate to think of Atom without Hyperthreading, because Hyperthreading has got to be the one saving grace the Atom has when it comes to usability. On the other hand, the VIA Nano was not a speed demon either, but it allowed a tremendously more fluid and intuitive GUI experience than Atom did on the desktop. If you had to take the Pepsi Challenge, there is no doubt that a user would be able to tell a difference between the Nano and the Atom when it came to using it in Windows. The Atom was slower to react and simply took longer to accomplish simple desktop tasks.

Admira-me que nem o CPU faz mexer o sistema operativo.

Esquecem que o Atom é feito a 45nm enquanto que o Isaiah ainda é a 65nm.

Neste caso para mim tanto faz, a pouca diferença nos consumos entre as duas plataformas olhando para a performance... há testes em que o Atom é comido pelo Isaiah ao pequeno almoço.

Última edição:
Coloquem lá o cpu da VIA nos 45 nm e têm em mãos uma galinha dos ovos de ouro. O futuro é esses netbooks e plataformas com baixo consumo de energia.

Back