eAR OS Media Center

APLinhares

OpenSource
Mais uma solução para MediaCenter, segundo dizem e baseado em Ubuntu.

eAR OS
bottom.jpg

http://arhifi.com/shop/default.aspeAR OS is an installable live CD. The boot options are similar to those of Ubuntu 8.04 and the installer is exactly the same. The only problem I noted with the installer was with user setup, which didn't actually add my user. The eAR desktop uses the "earmusic" user, with the password "earmusic."
I had high expectations for the Media Center, since it is the focus and purpose of this distribution. It opens full-screen with a list of multimedia tasks available, including Listen to Favorites, TV, DVD, Video, Music, Radio, Photo, and More. The menu list is navigable with the arrow keys or by using the mouse. If you'd like to access the regular desktop without shutting down the Media Center, you can use the Ctrl-Alt-Arrow key combination to change to another virtual desktop.
But you may not have to shut down the Media Center or arrow to another desktop, because under the More heading is a menu of commonly used applications that can be launched right from the Media Center. Key portions of the desktop will show as well, such as the panel and Simdock docking bar. This is handy in expanding the functionality of the interface, particularly on a computer that has been dedicated to being a home theater machine, where one would might prefer to leave the Media Center visible at all times. Some of the applications available include Firefox, OpenOffice.org, Pidgin, GIMP, Skype, and the GNOME Control Center.
Click to enlarge The Listen to Favorites choice displays your personal playlist. It ships with a few examples, but you can add online radio stations, digital broadcast channels, on-disk music or videos, or music CD tracks to your Favorites. Depress the "p" key to access the list of Playlist Commands.
TV is for watching Digital Video Broadcasts using Kaffeine. That application must be able to detect and configure your TV card. I would like to see support for BTTV broadcast tuner cards included. I could use xawtv since Kaffeine doesn't support analog cards, but it's inconvenient and disappointing that this functionality isn't integrated into the eAR Media Center. As a compromise I was able to make a launcher in the eAR-More directory for xawtv so that it would appear in the More screen menu, but my family found it confusing to watch television through the More menu instead of the TV. Another alternative is to connect to a traditional television set (through S-Video or VGA-out for example), but that would require flipping the video input on the TV to watch, which is far from an integrated solution.
DVD is, obviously, for watching DVDs, and this choice too uses Kaffeine. Encrypted DVDs are no problem. The "d" key brings up the DVD menu, which gives access to other features available on a DVD. "s" controls subtitles, "f" raises the volume, "l" lowers the volume, and the space bar pauses and resumes a movie. The arrow keys fast-forward or go back in the video.
The Video menu lets you watch videos on your hard drive. Clicking it brings up a screen with several listed folders. Files should be stored in the subdirectories of /home/earmusic/eAR-Video, as there doesn't appear to be any way to add additional directories. All of the formats I tested (AVI, MPEG, and MPEG-4) played without issue.
Like Video, Music opens a screen of folders where your music should be stored. Also like Video, the files are stored in the /home/earmusic directory, and I didn't find a way to utilize directories of music stored elsewhere. You can listen to audio CDs too. While at the main screen with Music highlighted, if you use the right arrow key or move your mouse rightward, the entry will change to Listen to CD. If you choose that, Soundjuicer opens to play or extract the tracks.
Radio is for listening to Internet radio stations. eAR OS comes with an amazingly comprehensive list of stations to use, which is nice as I didn't see an easy way to add others.
Photo is for viewing a directory of images. As with Video and Music, images are stored in a hard-coded directory, specifically /home/earmusic/eAR-Photos.

OS infrastructure

The desktop is built using GNOME 2.22.2 and features SimDock 1.2. SimDock has several launchers, including ones for Firefox, F-Spot, the GIMP, and the eAR Media Center. The panel is set up with some handy applets such as Disk Mounter, Weather Report, Update Manager, Network Manager, Trash, and a Volume applet.
The menu contains a few standalone applications, including Wine, GIMP 2.4.5, Audacity, Sound Juicer, K3b, Kaffeine, Exaile, and VLC media player. For online activities Firefox 2.0.0.14 (with support for Web-based multimedia), Thunderbird, and Pidgin are available.
Under System -> Preferences you will find the GNOME Control Center, Screen Resolution, and Sound configuration, while present under Administration are the PolicyKit graphical configuration, Firestarter, Restricted Drivers, and Language and Network tools.

Although eAR OS is designed to be a home theater system, it could be used as a mobile system if desired.
Análise completa

Bem ao menos podiam ter posto o KDE como Desktop Environment visto que o K3b e o Keffeine estão aí. Vou experimentar no Desktop e talvez me agrade visto eu gostar deste tipo de SO's.

Bom já experimentei e agora aqui vai o feedback

Comecei por ver que há uma falha no "label" do CD visto estar escrito eAR OS Live DVD, mas trata-se de um CD. Bom mas isso pouco importa.
Assim que arrancamos pelo CD aparece-nos logo o GRUB já com 3 opções para escolher das quais, obviamente, arrancar pelo CD.

Assim que se entra no SO nota-se bem o visual alusivo ao MAC OS X, bastante bonito e agradável, tanto nas janelas como na Dock presente no fundo do ecrã. O GNOME está bom e a barra de cima está bem recheada de applets como a temperatura, ícones dos HDD, Lixo, áreas de trabalho e acesso rápido a algumas configurações do Sistema. Confirma-se a base no Ubuntu Hardy Heron mas os Devs deste eAR OS decidiram não mostrar tanta evidencia nesse facto pelo que mudaram bastante os programas instalados e a aparência do sistema.

Começando pelas pontos fortes - O software está bastante actualizado, Wine 1.0, Firefox 3.0, Exaile 0.2.11, e muitas mais que podem ler no post inicial.

A Distro corre bem, rápida e sem bugs nem problemas de maior nada que não se resolva. Claro que eu fiz isto tudo em Live CD e algumas coisas podem ter escapado.

Curiosamente, o Firefox traz 3 add-ons instalados Adblock Plus, FlashBlock e Mediaplayerconectivity e também alguns bookmarks. traz tambem plugins como o Flash e o Java.

Tem alguns bons programas de multimédia embora o Kaffeine e o K3b sejam de KDE o que significa que as libs de KDE estão aqui misturadas com o GNOME.

Depois para configurarem tudo têm o eAR Control Panel acessível pela Dock e é aí que tudo se configura, e também onde se pode aceder ao APT.

Pontos fracos - Pois é estão presentes alguns problemas que não se compreendem.

Coloquei uma musica em MP3 para ouvir no Exaile mas quando foi para tocar.....não há codecs!! Nenhuns!! Quer dizer, uma distro que se diz direccionada para Media Center não traz nenhum codec para se ouvir musica? E ainda por cima os programas não nos redireccionam para um site ou para a instalação dos mesmos, não há e pronto ele mando-nos á fava. Ainda tentei instalar pelo APT mas continuava sem tocar e como não sou um perito em Linux não consegui resolver. No entanto o SO dá som pois vi vídeos no Youtube e estava tudo OK.

Outra coisa má é a Dock. quando passamos o rato por cima não nos aparece nenhum nome do programa que vamos abrir, só podemos ver pelo icone. O "zoom" que a Dock faz é bastante deformado e lento e para piorar as coisas, a dock sobrepõe-se aos programas e não se pode alterar essa condição, o máximo que consegui foi colocar mais para baixo para não estorvar tanto.

Enfim, é uma boa distro sim senhor, sendo também baseada em Ubuntu o que é bom, mas vão ter de perder algum tempo a personalizar ao vosso gosto, tanto a Dock como a barra do GNOME. E vão ter também de instalar os Codecs por vocês próprios para poderem ouvir musica e ver vídeos. Passando estes pequenos problemas têm uma distro simples e prática com tudo actualizado e bem polida.

Última edição:
Da dock, depende da aplicação. Existem docks boas, por acaso nem testei pra ver qual vem.
Agora dos codecs acho muito estranho, pois
Like Ubuntu, eAR OS uses APT with Synaptic for package management. It comes set up with Ubuntu, Medibuntu, and WineHQ repositories. eAR OS uses codecs and libraries from the Medibuntu project to enable multimedia playback support that may be excluded from Ubuntu.

Para o tipo de utilização a que se propõe, parece-me uma boa opção, o facto de ser baseada em Ubuntu e partilhar os seus repositórios é logo um ponto bastante positivo.

Só não percebo o porquê de terem incluido o Kaffeine e o K3B, quando existem excelentes alternativas em Gnome, mas pronto são opções, já que temos que levar as libs do KDE atrás podiam colocar também o AmaroK :p

Como não se adequa ao meu tipo de utilização, não a deverei instalar, mas pode ser que perca o amor a um CD e teste o LiveCD este fim de semana :D

Desculpem lá o tamanho das imagens mas assim até se vê melhor.

EDIT: Pronto fica em thumbnail :)

Última edição:
Tão na review feita por ele :)
Alguem sabe qual é a password do chaveiro ? nao consigo definir uma minha...

Última edição:
Onde é que está o 10ft UI ? Sem isso, qualquer SO que se rotule como ideal para "Media Center" torna-se quase inútil.

Pois... Realmente torna-se um bocado para o inútil...

Nas férias vou ver se arranjo uma distro porreira para instalar no PC antigo e uso-o como media center na TV da sala.

Boas... Podem-me explicar como posso instalar este aer OS num portatil acer? É possivel? É que gostei muito do visual e queria experimentar... Já tentei meter linux uma vez num portatil e nao me correr nada bem, por isso agrandecia que me ajudassem com este processo...
Obrigado...

Back