F2P [PC] Command & Conquer (Victory Games/EA - F2P)

ExxoSoul

Folding Member
cnc_logo_metallic.png

New Command & Conquer revealed

Victory Games will be headed by Jon Van Caneghem, an industry veteran who joined EA a few years ago. According to Von Caneghem, they're now at work on a "AAA Command & Conquer game" that will remain focused on the PC as its primary platform.

Von Caneghem also says that the team is "updating a lot of the core technology to create a stable base for future development, and leveraging that work on this first game." In other words, EA is apparently thinking long-term on jumpstarting their main strategy franchise.

Shortly after going live, the new website was pulled, so apparently EA wasn't quite ready to make this official. We've contacted the publisher for confirmation and will keep an eye out for official word.

This weekend, Electronic Arts announced BioWare would be resurrecting a branch of the Command & Conquer franchise many fans had given up for dead. Generals came out in 2003 and has no overt connection to either the Tiberian (original C&C) or Red Alert series, instead focusing on the near-future's superpowers grappling with a well-organized terrorist organization. Victory Games - previously part of EA Los Angeles - has been absorbed into the BioWare umbrella and renamed BioWare Victory to develop Generals 2 using the Frostbite 2 engine. The strategy sequel will be for PCs only and released sometime in 2013.

Trailer

::::: Site Oficial :::::

:: ::

Data de Lançamento: 2013

Última edição:
Ia agora mesmo criar um tópico para isto, mas adiantaste-te :P

Mais alguma informação:

The Command and Conquer community will be buzzing soon because the franchise doesn't look quite so dead after all. There appears to be a new Command and Conquer website, and along with it several interesting bits of content. First, EA has found a new Global Community Manager to replace former fan favorite Aaron "Apoc" Kaufman. Eric aka "CIRE" will have some big shoes to fill, but he seems confident enough in a mini-bio that was posted at the new site. Eric has community roots, and will be working out of a new studio in Los Angeles called Victory Games.
The other big surprise is an interview with Victory Games General Manager Jon Van Caneghem. Victory Games is an entirely new studio with three development locations. From our understanding, Victory Games will be filling the gap left behind after the former EA Los Angeles team behind Command and Conquer and Battle for Middle Earth games were let go last year.

I am here with Jon Van Caneghem, the GM of Victory Games. Today you announced the name of your new studio as Victory Games – can you talk about what that means?
Sure. Victory Games was created to be the focal point for the creation of strategy games for the Games Label at EA. Our current focus is making a AAA Command & Conquer game, which I am very excited to be working on. I’ve always been a big Command & Conquer fan.

A new Command & Conquer game? What can you tell me about it?

I can tell you it’s a Command & Conquer game for the PC, but we’re not yet at a stage where I can go into any details—we’ll be prepared to make a more formal announcement later in the year. We’re not just working on a game, though. Our general focus is on the future of Command & Conquer. That means updating a lot of the core technology to create a stable base for future development, and leveraging that work on this first game.
Devo acrescentar que o comentário sobre a EA Los Angeles ter sido encerrada é completamente falso, o estúdio continua operacional e também engloba a Danger Close Games (equipa responsável pelo singleplayer do último Medal of Honor). Relativamente ao Jon Van Caneghem, é sem dúvida uma boa escolha. Para quem não sabe, trata-se do criador da série Might & Magic e posteriormente do Heroes of Might & Magic, para além do King's Bounty original.

Este pequeno excerto também apareceu no site:

“With over 30 million sold, Command & Conquer now looks to the future, with plans to combine classic RTS gameplay with bold new technology, innovative new concepts and, as always, tanks by the dozen.”

Última edição:
Monday this week we had a surprise. A new Command & Conquer game! This was surprising on two counts. Firstly, EA had rather publicly given up on the series last year. Secondly, there was no build up, no tiresome PR campaign. Just POW! News! So of course it was an accident. The site so keenly spotted by VE3D was hastily pulled, the story buried. But fortunately by the magic of caching Alec was able to fetch the important details. Our hearts were set to Believe*. And now EA, perhaps sooner than they’d hoped, have made the news official.

A brand new C&C site is up at the proper location, and it’s emblazoned with the logos of the surprise new development studio, Victory Games. They describe themselves as:

“Victory Games is Electronic Arts’ dedicated Strategy Gaming studio. Formed in 2010 under the leadership of Jon Van Caneghem, Victory Games has offices in Los Angeles, CA; Austin, TX; and Shanghai, China and is currently focused on the Command & Conquer franchise.”
Fonte

Entrevista no site oficial:
EA Starts New Strategy Studio: Victory Games

Eric, Global C&C Community Manager, interviews Jon Van Caneghem, Vice President Strategy Games. Jon joined Electronic Arts in 2009 after nearly three decades in the electronic entertainment industry. He is renowned for founding New World Computing and creating the best-selling franchises Heroes and Might & Magic.

Eric: I am here with Jon Van Caneghem, the GM of Victory Games. Today you announced the name of your new studio as Victory Games – can you talk about what that means?

JVC: Sure. Victory Games was created to be the focal point for the creation of strategy games for the Games Label at EA. Our current focus is making a AAA Command & Conquer game, which I am very excited to be working on. I’ve always been a big Command & Conquer fan.

Eric: A new Command & Conquer game? What can you tell me about it?

JVC: I can tell you it’s a Command & Conquer game for the PC, but we’re not yet at a stage where I can go into any details—we’ll be prepared to make a more formal announcement later in the year. We’re not just working on a game, though. Our general focus is on the future of Command & Conquer. That means updating a lot of the core technology to create a stable base for future development, and leveraging that work on this first game.

Eric: Sounds like you’re very busy, and I’m looking forward to that announcement. Back to the studio, why “Victory Games?”

JVC: The initial idea came from the obvious parallel of winning in a strategy game, where the word “Victory” often ends up on your screen. The reason I think it fits so well is when you look at how to be successful in strategy games: it’s the ability to anticipate, plan, and react. This is no different when it comes to the gaming industry – you must anticipate the direction of the genre and marketplace, plan for what the consumers are looking for, and stay nimble enough to react to environmental changes.

Eric: Where is Victory Games located?

JVC: We have offices in Los Angeles, CA; Austin, TX; and Shanghai, China. It almost feels like one location though, as we have video conferencing systems setup 24/7 which offers us a stronger and more personal level of communication between offices.

Eric: You re-launched the Command & Conquer website today – can you talk about that?

JVC: Yes, you will notice a few key upgrades on www.commandandconquer.com today. We’ve got a new look and feel, new and improved forums, and a much cleaner interface. Luckily we’ve hired a talented new community manager to help support all of these initiatives.

Eric: Why thank you! What else can you tell us about the people behind Victory Games?

JVC: We’ve put together a team made up of some of the best talent from previous Command & Conquer games along with a great mix of quality industry veterans. Everyone that we’ve brought on board is very passionate about making strategy games.

Eric: That sounds great. What strategy games do you play?

JVC: I play almost every strategy game that comes out, with the two most recent games being Civilization V and Starcraft 2. I still have all the Command & Conquer and Heroes of Might and Magic games on my machine and play them regularly as well.

Eric: What’s your favorite Command & Conquer memory?

JVC: The original Command & Conquer released the same month as the original Heroes of Might and Magic game that I created at New World Computing. Right after we shipped Heroes, we were hard at work getting a Win95 version ready. We were also starting work on Heroes II, but every day work stopped a little bit earlier and earlier and earlier as everyone was jumping into LAN games of Command & Conquer. After months of working on a game that featured classical music and fantasy sound effects, it was an experience to have the office filled with the sounds of combat, explosions, and “Got a present for ya!” That’s what makes this so exciting for me, to appreciate the franchise as both a game maker and a game player and to have the opportunity to bring back the magic that made the Command & Conquer games so great over the last fifteen years.

Eric: In closing, do you have anything you’d like to say to the fans?

JVC: Absolutely! I want the fans to know that Victory Games is committed to bringing Command & Conquer back to the forefront for the next ten years and beyond. We’ll be announcing our first new game later this year, check out www.commandandconquer.com for new updates and information!

Última edição:
Eu gostava de saber era em que Universo será este jogo centrado... Sei que há muito pessoal que não liga, mas eu achava a narrativa da série até ao Red Alert simplesmente genial; Aquele Joseph Kuncan como Kane era demais; Era ele o realizador dos FMV's e tudo.

De C&C só os Red Alert é que me agradaram, principalmente o 1º e o 2º (o 3º foi razoável, mas estava a espera de mais).
A EA tem capacidade para fazer grandes jogos, mas às vezes também dá tiros nos pés, espero que acertem desta vez e tragam mesmo um AAA :)

Porque é que dizes isso? O Generals era diferente do estilo tradicional da série, mas ao contrário do C&C 4, era um bom jogo.

Eu não gostei muito sinceramente... Nem da história, nem da engine, nem das unidades em si. Tenho o jogo 2x - o original quando saiu e na First Decade - e nunca o acabei.

Eu não gostei muito sinceramente... Nem da história, nem da engine, nem das unidades em si. Tenho o jogo 2x - o original quando saiu e na First Decade - e nunca o acabei.
O Generals (zero hour) é um jogo realista com uma excelente jogabilidade, não muito complexo e fácil de jogar com bons gráficos, o jogo tem missões mas também tem o modo skirmish que para mim é perfeito para jogar online ou em rede, apesar de ser relativamente simples o jogo tem muitas opções de estratégia especialmente quando se joga online/rede contra outros, sem duvida é um jogo que se passa umas boas horas a divertir! :P Por isso tenho pena não lançarem mais nenhum do género assim realista, detesto coisas futuristas especialmente quando temos excelentes exércitos e tecnologia actual muito avançada! :D

Sim, não me surpreende. Era um bom jogo mas fugia bastante ao molde C&C, daí que seja um dos jogos que divide mais as opiniões dentro dos fãs da série; tens pessoal que adora o jogo, e outros que não o podem ver à frente. Eu gostei, mas não é dos meus C&C favoritos.

Mas o que eu estava mesmo a perguntar é a razão pela qual achaste que esse jogo espetou o prego no caixão. Tanto o Tiberium Wars como o Red Alert 3 são bons jogos, que se mantêm fiéis ao estilo C&C; chegaste a experimentar algum deles ou não gostaste?

Última edição:
Sim, não me surpreende. Era um bom jogo mas fugia bastante ao molde C&C, daí que seja um dos jogos que divide mais as opiniões dentro dos fãs da série; tens pessoal que adora o jogo, e outros que não o podem ver à frente. Eu gostei, mas não é dos meus C&C favoritos.

Mas o que eu estava mesmo a perguntar é a razão pela qual achaste que esse jogo espetou o prego no caixão. Tanto o Tiberium Wars como o Red Alert 3 são bons jogos, que se mantêm fiéis ao estilo C&C; chegaste a experimentar algum deles ou não gostaste?

Achei que era o prego no caixão, pois dava para ver - pelo menos do meu ponto de vista - que já não havia ideias para o futuro do franchise, que pelo menos fossem consideradas viáveis por parte da EA, no que diz respeito à narrativa e próprio gameplay... O simples facto de aderirem a um setting moderno, influenciado - do pouco que vi e joguei - na temática Ocidente VS Extremistas, matou a série para mim, isto para não falar na já muito debatida e desnecessária divisão entre os Universos da série, quando originalmente eram só um.

Como já disse, ao Tiberium Wars e ao RA3 não joguei, pois cá aguardo que saia outra compilação, mas do que pude presumir da demo do RA3, não me diz nada pura e simplesmente... Não gosto das cutscenes nem como o humor é forçado, a narrativa tornou-se uma paródia e o visual da série tornou-se muito cartoony; Nem o Joseph Kuncan salva a Tiberium Saga para mim.

Último jogo que gostei da série, mesmo sendo muito diferente e ficado longe daquilo que esperava, foi o Renegade, mas ao menos foi divertido enquanto durou.

O Red Alert 3 é bastante cheesy, mas a saga Red Alert já tinha adoptado esse tipo de humor especialmente no segundo jogo. Como jogo devo dizer que vale a pena, mantém o estilo tradicional com grandes batalhas em água, terra e mar, e a introdução do modo co-op na campanha é um pau de dois bicos, por um lado é uma excelente adição para quem quiser passar o jogo com um amigo, por outro também força a que tenhas sempre um segundo Commander em jogo, o que para quem gosta duma experiência totalmente singleplayer pode não ser a melhor opção. Não joguei a demo portanto não te sei dizer se era uma boa representação do jogo final, mas se gostavas da série acho que ias gostar do Red Alert 3. A mudança de direcção artística pode parecer algo estranha, mas em movimento mantém um estilo visual bastante porreiro.

Quanto ao Tiberium Wars, a nível de história e representação não foge muito aos anteriores, também é um pouco cheesy mas mantém uma postura mais séria em vez de ser over the top como o Red Alert 3. Como jogo não toma muitas liberdades a nível de inovação, mas não deixa de ser um bom C&C.

Embora não estejam ao nível do auge da série, nomeadamente o Red Alert 2 e o Tiberian Sun, acho que continuam a ser bons jogos e que cumprem o que se espera deles. É pena que não vão mais longe, mas ao contrário do C&C 4 que tentou seguir uma direcção distinta e falhou por completo, estes têm o seu mérito por compreenderem o que torna a série interessante, coisa que hoje em dia muitos developers esquecem quando estão a desenvolver sequelas.

Não sei se sabes mas há uma promoção no Steam este fim de semana, os últimos C&C estão todos com desconto. Podes encontrar o Red Alert 3 e o Tiberium Wars a €4,99 cada um; talvez seja uma boa oportunidade pois não estou a ver a EA a meter uma nova compilação cá fora em breve.

O Red Alert 3 é bastante cheesy, mas a saga Red Alert já tinha adoptado esse tipo de humor especialmente no segundo jogo. Como jogo devo dizer que vale a pena, mantém o estilo tradicional com grandes batalhas em água, terra e mar, e a introdução do modo co-op na campanha é um pau de dois bicos, por um lado é uma excelente adição para quem quiser passar o jogo com um amigo, por outro também força a que tenhas sempre um segundo Commander em jogo, o que para quem gosta duma experiência totalmente singleplayer pode não ser a melhor opção. Não joguei a demo portanto não te sei dizer se era uma boa representação do jogo final, mas se gostavas da série acho que ias gostar do Red Alert 3. A mudança de direcção artística pode parecer algo estranha, mas em movimento mantém um estilo visual bastante porreiro.

Sempre adoptou esse género de humor é verdade, mas era uma coisa ainda si contida, não muito abusada... Eu quando vi a demo do jogo na PS3 fiquei logo do género, WTF...?! Foram um algo longe de mais nesse aspecto na minha opinião e nem o elenco conseguia omitir isso, quanto muito beneficiava essa abordagem. Acho que já aí não era o Kuncan o realizador das cutscenes.

Quanto ao Tiberium Wars, a nível de história e representação não foge muito aos anteriores, também é um pouco cheesy mas mantém uma postura mais séria em vez de ser over the top como o Red Alert 3. Como jogo não toma muitas liberdades a nível de inovação, mas não deixa de ser um bom C&C.

Com os actores que foram buscar, só podia ser cheesy. :-D :-D

Mas agora a sério... Eu até que estava com expectativas para este jogo da série, já que em termos de antevisões parecia ser um regresso à fórmula antiga por assim dizer, tanto em termos de visual como de narrativa, mas no final, pelo que li, acabou por me parecer mais uma amálgama daquilo que já por si tinha sido o Generals e o RE2. Não me agradou...

Embora não estejam ao nível do auge da série, nomeadamente o Red Alert 2 e o Tiberian Sun, acho que continuam a ser bons jogos e que cumprem o que se espera deles. É pena que não vão mais longe, mas ao contrário do C&C 4 que tentou seguir uma direcção distinta e falhou por completo, estes têm o seu mérito por compreenderem o que torna a série interessante, coisa que hoje em dia muitos developers esquecem quando estão a desenvolver sequelas.

Eu esses ainda joguei... Não desgosto, mas para mim foi o princípio da estagnação, tanto a nível do próprio gameplay, como do visual da série, em que se assistiu a um retrocesso monumental face àquilo que foram os dois primeiros visualmente, isto para não falar na tal divisão do franchise, em Universos distintos, que nada avançaram, excepto a carteia da EA claro, que enquanto não esventrou o franchise e a própria Westwood de uma ponta à outra não descansou.

Não sei se sabes mas há uma promoção no Steam este fim de semana, os últimos C&C estão todos com desconto. Podes encontrar o Red Alert 3 e o Tiberium Wars a €4,99 cada um; talvez seja uma boa oportunidade pois não estou a ver a EA a meter uma nova compilação cá fora em breve.

Eu já tinha reparado o pessoal a falar nisso no tópico do STEAM, mas para ser sincero, ando a tentar conter as minhas compras em formato digital, já que ainda sou um algo old-fashioned nesse aspecto... Prefiro em formato físico, embora deva dizer que estão a excelente preço, até porque o mais barato que vi por cá foi o RE3 - creio eu - por volta de 10 euros.

Quanto a uma nova compilação é esperar para aí até finas de 2016, que é quando faz 10 anos que saiu a First Decade. :-D ;)

O Tiberian Sun e o Red Alert 2 têm a melhor execução e são os jogos mais 'completos' de cada universo (nesta altura já tinham separado os universos), daí considerá-los o auge da série. Se fosse falar dos que mais gostei já era mais difícil, porque a nostalgia entra em vigor. Eu era um grande fã da Westwood, o que também me torna mais parcial neste caso.

Eu tenho o Tiberium Wars e o Red Alert 3 em formato físico, mas por este preço acho que não há muito a pensar. Se conheceres mais alguém interessado devias aproveitar para comprar pelo menos o Red Alert 3, especialmente se gostares de experiências cooperativas; vai ajudar a elevar a tua opinião sobre o jogo. Também vale a pena em singleplayer, mas em coop fica melhor.

O Tiberian Sun e o Red Alert 2 têm a melhor execução e são os jogos mais 'completos' de cada universo (nesta altura já tinham separado os universos), daí considerá-los o auge da série. Se fosse falar dos que mais gostei já era mais difícil, porque a nostalgia entra em vigor. Eu era um grande fã da Westwood, o que também me torna mais parcial neste caso.

Eu discordo, mas compreendo quem tenha essa opinião. Apenas achei o TS e o RA2, tanto em estrutura das missões como de gameplay, menos atractivos e / ou memoráveis, face ao primeiro C&C ou RA original. Eu também era um grande fã da Westwood, logo sou igualmente parcial, mas acho que isso não deve ter peso aquando da discussão de quais são os melhores jogos da série... A Westwood enquanto a produtora que conhecíamos morreu quando foi comprada pela EA pura e simplesmente.

Eu tenho o Tiberium Wars e o Red Alert 3 em formato físico, mas por este preço acho que não há muito a pensar. Se conheceres mais alguém interessado devias aproveitar para comprar pelo menos o Red Alert 3, especialmente se gostares de experiências cooperativas; vai ajudar a elevar a tua opinião sobre o jogo. Também vale a pena em singleplayer, mas em coop fica melhor.

Tive agora a ver o preço e contando com todos, com excepção do Tiberium Twilight, realmente é um bom negócio, já que fica a menos de 20 euros... Como presumo que vá durar até ao final do FDS, cá vou ficar a ponderar se compro ou não afinal. Obrigado pela sugestão. ;)

No Single-Player for Command & Conquer: Generals 2 at Release

Command & Conquer: Generals 2 will apparently launch without a single-player campaign, according to developer Bioware Victory.

In an interview with PC Gamer, the company's general manager John Van Caneghem explained that “co-operative and competitive” skirmishes would be the main focus of the title initially, with other modes being added later based on community feedback.

Speaking about the potential of a story campaign being one such mode, Van Caneghem said, "It is something we haven’t announced yet how we’re going to do it." He explained that one of the main benefits of the game being online was that it facilitated the easy testing of new play styles, claiming, "As a live service I think the exciting part is you can try things. You can see what the community wants, you can give it a shot, you can put it up
for a weekend and see how it goes, develop towards what the fans like."

While he didn't comment on EA's decision to make the game free-to-play, he did reveal that Command & Conquer: Generals 2 will be the first in a new series of online C&C games that explore the series' history.

"We decided to choose Generals as the first set of games we build under the universe, but we’ll be expanding after that, like Tiberium and Red Alert as well as some others as well," he said. "Generals 2 was the first one, and it was one of the biggest sellers, as well as the fanbase has been asking for it for some time."

He rounded up the interview by explaining that Bioware Victory is keen for the upcoming RTS game to break onto the e-sports scene. To this end, alongside multiplayer deathmatch and co-operative modes, Van Caneghem claimed that, "We’re really going to run the gambit of what people enjoy in a multiplayer environment.

"I don’t think we’re making a list of the features yet, but I think you can basically make a list of the assumed ones that you’d need to be an e-sports game, and it’s definitely part of the plan," he added.

Command & Conquer: Generals 2 will release as a free-to-play title on PC sometime in 2013, but you can register your interest for the beta now.

Fonte: IGN Uk

Back