Processador Intel Haswell Devil's Canyon, Pentium anniversary edition, Broadwell, Haswell-E, C7

Nemesis11

Power Member
The most exciting of those products may be the one based on current Haswell silicon. Intel desktop processors since Ivy Bridge have had limited overclocking headroom due to excessive heat, and over time, enthusiasts have pinned much of the blame on the combination of packaging and thermal interface material (TIM) used in newer CPUs. Folks have even taken to de-lidding their brand-new processors in order to recover some of the clock speed headroom. Intel will address that problem head-on with a new unlocked Haswell part code-named "Devil's Canyon," coming in mid-2014. Devil's Canyon will have redesigned packaging and an improved TIM meant to increase overclocking headroom.

Graff said this product should offer a "very nice performance pop," so I'm hoping its default clock speeds will be quite a bit higher than existing chips, too.

Devil's Canyon will be compatible with Intel's upcoming 9-series chipsets, according to Graff. Motherboards based on those chips are widely expected to be released this spring, so they should be plentiful by the time this CPU hits store shelves.

Also coming in mid-year is an anniversary edition of the Pentium to "celebrate" 20 years of that brand. These days, Pentiums are low-cost variants of Intel's Core processors, usually selling for under $100, which have been neutered in various ways. This anniversary edition looks like it could be interesting, though, for a couple of reasons. One, some Pentium chips recently gained support for Intel's QuickSync video transcoding engine thanks to a driver update, and the anniversary edition will benefit from that change. Two, the anniversary edition Pentium will be unlocked to enable overclocking. We don't know the exact specs of this future product, but today's Pentiums are dual-core Haswells running at 3.3GHz or less. If we can get our hands on one of these chips and take it to 4.7GHz or higher, that could be a very compelling option for the price. At that speed, a dual-core Haswell ought to be more than competent to run most of today's games.

A third upcoming product Graff highlighted tackles several beefs we've had with Intel's product plans. The 14-nm Broadwell refresh of the Core i3/i5/i7 has largely been pegged as a mobile chip, but Graff revealed Intel will be producing a socketed version of Broadwell that will drop into desktop boards based on 9-series chipsets. Not only that, but it will be unlocked to make overclocking straightforward.

And, amazingly, this CPU will include Intel's Iris Pro graphics technology. Now, a relatively fast IGP is one thing, but we suspect Broadwell's Iris Pro implementation will be similar to Haswell's and include an on-package eDRAM cache of 128MB or more. That cache benefits graphics, but it can also improve CPU performance generally in the right workload (like it did for Haswell GT3e in our LuxMark and computational fluid dynamics tests.) Thanks to the cache and the presumptive goodness of Intel's 14-nm fab process, I'd expect this CPU to become Intel's fastest and most energy efficient desktop processor when it arrives. Graff didn't share a time frame for this product's release, though.

Whenever it hits, the socketed Broadwell will likely have to contend for the title of "fastest overall desktop processor" with a formidable sibling: a new Core i7 Extreme Edition based on Haswell-E coming in the second half of 2014.

Intel's enthusiast-class desktop CPUs are based on the same silicon as its server-class Xeon lineup, and the Xeons have been running about one generation behind the mobile and mid-range desktop processors. We noted in our trippy Ivy Bridge-E review that Intel has been holding back on core counts and cache sizes for its Extreme CPUs. Xeons that fit into the same socket have twice the core count and L3 cache capacity of their thousand-dollar desktop counterparts. The upcoming Haswell-E part looks to rectify that deficit somewhat by finally raising the core count from six to eight. Those cores will be better fed with the addition of DDR4 memory, a first on the desktop. Also, this new Core i7 Extreme will come with a new chipset, dubbed X99, that hopefully packs more USB 3 and SATA 6 ports than the aging X79.

Those four new CPUs are obviously the highlight of today's announcements, but Graff also made a simple announcement that rights another wrong. When got our first look at Haswell, we were surprised to find out that much of the power-saving mojo intended to reduce power consumption at idle just didn't do much for our desktop test rigs. That's evidently because those features weren't enabled on desktop systems.

Graff indicated that Intel is moving to correct that oversight by introducing something called Ready Mode Technology, which is a combination of hardware and software. Ready Mode requires the support of the motherboard and a separate piece of software provided either by Intel or the PC maker, and it enables the new low-power C7 sleep states built into Haswell silicon. When it's enabled, the power consumption of a desktop system at idle should drop to 10W or less.

Graff noted that Ready Mode could allow the family desktop PC to remain on at all times, so it can serve as a home hub for media files and the syncing of mobile devices. We nodded.

Most of the talk around Ready Mode concerns PCs from major OEMs, and apparently several Ready Mode-capable systems are already shipping now. We're hoping that makers of DIY motherboards will get on board and support this tech, as well.

http://techreport.com/review/26189/intel-to-renew-commitment-to-desktop-pcs-with-a-slew-of-new-cpus

Parece que a Intel volta a apostar no desktop.

Um haswell "especial", um Pentium para OC, Broadwell em socket com Iris Pro e OC, octo-core Haswell-E e um power save C7 com menos de 10W em idle. :)

Pena que o Haswell especial apenas funcione em Z97... mesmo socket... e quem tem Z87 fica a ver navios... $$ graber...

[h=1]Intel Updates Desktop CPU Roadmap, Haswell-E, Broadwell, Devil's Canyon Blip[/h]
At GDC, Intel announced a backpedal from its plans to eventually reshape desktop CPUs into components that come hardwired to the motherboards across the line, by announcing three new CPU families. It includes the Haswell-E HEDT platform, Broadwell performance platform, and Devil's Canyon. The three are expected to launch in reverse order, beginning with Devil's Canyon. A variant of existing "Haswell" silicon in the LGA1150 package, Devil's Canyon is codename for a breed of hand-picked chips with "insane" overclocking potential. In addition to binned dies, the chips feature a performance-optimized TIM between the die and the integrated heatspreader (IHS). The dies will be placed on special "high tolerance" packages, with equally "special" LGA contact points. The chips will be designed with higher voltage tolerance levels. Devil's Canyon is expected to branded under the existing Core i7-4xxx series, possibly with "Extreme" brand extension. It will be compatible with motherboards based on the Z97 chipset.

Next up, is "Broadwell." A successor to Haswell, Broadwell is its optical shrink to Intel's new 14-nanometer silicon fab process, with minor improvements to IPC, new power-management features, and likely added instruction sets, much like what "Ivy Bridge" was to "Sandy Bridge." It will take advantage of the new process to step up CPU and iGPU clock speeds. Broadwell is expected to launch in the second half of 2014. Lastly, there's Haswell-E. Built in the company's next-gen LGA2011 socket (incompatible with the current LGA2011), this HEDT (high-end desktop) processor will feature up to eight CPU cores, up to 15 MB of L3 cache, a 48-lane PCI-Express 3.0 root complex, and a quad-channel DDR4 integrated memory controller (IMC). Intel is also planning to launch a socketed variant of the Core i7-4770R, which is based on the company's Haswell GT3e silicon, which features the Iris Pro 5200 graphics core, with 40 execution units, and 128 MB of L4 cache.

Lê melhor... so falam em Z97 e não referiram/ não quiseram falar sobre a compatibilidade com os Z87.

Edit: alias isso está no site da Anandtech. Como estou de telemóvel não me dá jeito ca vir por a noticia. Se alguem puder postar por mim agradecia.

Como assim? Explica lá isso!!!

Pelo q entendi, os Devil Canyon sao haswell, como um novo tipo de soldadura o q permite ser tolerante a novos niveis de tensão e melhor dissipaçao de calor, basicamente são um refresh face aos haswell actuais. Agora o z97 permite utilizar todas as potencialidades do broadwell. Como o socket dos z97 sao 1150, todos haswell serão compativeis com as mobo z97.

AnandTech%20Unlocked%20Devil's%20Canyon_678x452.png

Rewind back to the launch of Intel’s 3rd generation processor, Ivy Bridge. Enthusiasts and gamers who overclock the top end model were a little disappointed with the maximum CPU frequency that could be achieved. What used to be a 5.0-5.2 GHz ceiling on Sandy Bridge became 4.8-5.0 GHz on Ivy Bridge, and there was more of a silicon lottery as to whether the user got a good overclocking chip or not. Then move forward to Haswell, and the situation compounded in a similar way. 4.6 GHz to 4.8 GHz became the norm on Haswell, a 200 MHz drop which absorbed any IPC increase the new architecture had.

One of the reasons that enthusiasts attributed to this decrease in overclocking was the thermal interface material between the die on the package and the heatspreader. Various experiments by enthusiasts with removing the heatspreader and replacing the TIM inside the CPU to provide better contact and heat transfer characteristics. The adventurous users even used metallic binding material, but the benefits were published for all to see – depending on how good (or bad) the CPU was in the first place, up to a 20ºC drop was seen for overclocked processors at full load.

As part of the Intel press conference call this week, it was announced that a new Haswell processor will come to market to help adjust some of these issues. This new processor will be a fully unlocked Haswell core, codename ‘Devil’s Canyon’ and should be out mid-year (note, Computex is in June). The features that Intel is promoting are the improved thermal interface material, an updated packaging and 9-series chipset support.

‘Improved TIM’ is a little ambiguous – whether this means a more substantial amount of goop under the heatspreader or a proper metalling binding to the heatspreader I do not know, although I have asked Intel. Updated packaging could lead to a thicker/thinner heatspreader, focusing more on the hot areas of the die, or a different binding agent between the PCB and the heatspreader. It may turn out easier to remove the heatspreader if needed, or harder. The final comment had me a little confused, saying 9-series support but not saying anything about the 8-series. I would assume that as a Haswell processor this new SKU would have 8-series support, although Intel have told us that this new CPU is not targeted at 8-series.

There is no word if this is going to be placed at the same frequency as the i7-4770K or the i7-4771/4790, the name or the rated TDP. Intel will let us know nearer to release, and as soon as we get this information and are able to share with you, we will.

http://anandtech.com/show/7873/new-haswell-k-overclocking-enhancements

Lê melhor... so falam em Z97 e não referiram/ não quiseram falar sobre a compatibilidade com os Z87.

Edit: alias isso está no site da Anandtech. Como estou de telemóvel não me dá jeito ca vir por a noticia. Se alguem puder postar por mim agradecia.

É obvio q não falaram da plataforma z87, a intenção deles é ter lucro. No lugar deles também não falaria do z87.

Estou de telemovel perdoem não por um quote a "embrulhar isto"

The final comment had me a little confused, saying 9-series support but not saying anything about the 8-series. I would assume that as a Haswell processor this new SKU would have 8-series support, although Intel have told us that this new CPU is not targeted at 8-series.

Dizer que não é target das 8-series não quer dizer que não funcione nele. Pelo que percebo, ele vai funcionar, provavelmente com um update de bios. Claro que a Intel quer que se compre as 9-series.

Estou de telemovel perdoem não por um quote a "embrulhar isto"

The final comment had me a little confused, saying 9-series support but not saying anything about the 8-series. I would assume that as a Haswell processor this new SKU would have 8-series support, although Intel have told us that this new CPU is not targeted at 8-series.

OK. Então vamos pensar assim. O sistema de fabrico mudou? Não! A unica coisa q estão a fazer é mudar a pasta térmica para terem melhores temps de overclock. Para mim não falaram do z87 para levarem os consumidores a pensar q precisam do novo chipset para usufruir destes CPU's. A minha duvida q tenho neste momento é: o Z97 vai supportar DDR4? Eu sei q o X99 vai supportar DDR4.

Para não me chatear... não vou comentar as tuas respostas zephoon...

Anyway... Noticias que corroboram a minha versão, se as novas boards não são compatíveis os novos cpus vão ser?

Intel Upcoming 9-series Chipset Won’t Support Haswell

Website Xbit Labs reports that upcoming Intel chipsets for mainstream desktop processors will implement support for yet-unnamed “Haswell Refresh” CPU and future Broadwell parts. Other information leaked points to the fact that those new chipsets will not support current Haswell processors, thus effectively making the 8-series motherboard a single generation products with no upgrade path.

According to documents found by website VR-Zone, the upcoming silicon from Intel will have slightly different power specifications. Although Z97 and its cutdown little brothers will be using the same socket 1150 as current Z87 boards, those differences in power requirements will make the new boards backwards incompatible with Haswell chips. We can also assume that current 4000-series Core “i” processors won’t be able to run in 9-series motherboards, ultimately sealing all upgrade paths for both processors and motherboards of current generation.

The motherboards based on Intel’s 9-series chipset are expected to support both upcoming “Haswell Refresh” chips that are set to show up in mid-2014, as well as codename Broadwell parts which will likely be released some time in 2015. The new board will feature the new SATA Express interface for data transfers of up to 16Gb/s. Broadwell is also expected to support DDR4 memory.

Intel’s 9-series chipsets will support Broadwell

Documents obtained by VR-Zone show Intel’s upcoming 9-series chips will be Broadwell oriented and have a number of slight changes from Haswell that will cause headaches for motherboard vendors.​

Though Intel’s Haswell silicon still has that factory fresh smell, Chipzilla is already working through the planning stages of the 9-series chipset that will succeed it.
Intel’s 9-series is nowhere close to launching yet as it’s expected sometime in the second half of 2014.

While Haswell and the Broadwell-powered 9-series will share the LGA1150 socket, there will be a number of slight changes between the two. The most notable changes are in the V_PROC_IO connection, as it requires a 1.05V power source, VCCST, because of a new type of power supply required, and to THRMTRIP because of a slightly different chip topology. This presents a number of backwards compatibility issues, and means that only motherboards that support refreshed Haswell will be compatible with the 9-series Broadwell chips.

As far as memory bus goes, there is a divide between a batch of leaked information that the platform will support DDR3, and another batch of information that says the chip will support DDR 4. In contrast, AMD will have to wait until Carrizo comes out in 2015 to have a DDR4 compatible chip on the market.
One thing that can be confirmed is that the 9-series will support SATA Express.

Lembra-me a história do socket 775 que também teve algo similar devido aos pins que levavam energia ao cpu.
De qualquer maneira espera-se para ver...

Parece-me que a Intel fez da Série 8 outro socket 1155 e série 5 (Lynnfield/Clarksdale), se bem que desta vez apenas levou com a 1ª geração do Haswell

Mas again, esperar para ver... se eu estiver enganado, estou... não é por isso que fico chateado...
Venham mais notícias...

Última edição:
Se percebo bem, a 8-series vai suportar o Haswell e o Haswell-refresh, logo o Haswell Devil's Canyon, Pentium anniversary edition serão suportados no 8-series, com update de bios.
Se continuo a perceber bem, a 9-series não suporta o Haswell original, mas suporta o Haswell-refresh e o Broadwell.

Que raio de confusão... mas sim, vendo tudo é isso... my bad... apenas os gajos não admitirem o Devil's Canyon nas 8 series faz-me ficar com pulga na orelha...
E se isto for como o socket 775, os primeiros chipsets/boards não eram compatíveis com os C2D (por culpa das diferenças de energia/pinos) e migração dos 90nm para os 65nm...

E tambem acho estranho a Intel usar a série 9 e não mudar de socket com o Broadwell tb

Eu não sei mas estou a achar estranho essa historia de compatibilidade com a serie8 ...mais vale esperar para ver o que ele dizem sobre isso

and means that only motherboards that support refreshed Haswell will be compatible with the 9-series Broadwell chips.

então isto quer dizer q para a serie8 ser compatível com haswell refresh ,iria ser tb compatível com broadwell ? não me parece

Última edição:
Back