Afinal sempre há drivers para Win98 nas ATI 9xxx

Zealot

I quit My Job for Folding
CANADIAN GRAPHICS firm ATI has moved fast to allay worries about support for its future 9000 Pro and 9700 devices.
(See ATI driver support "disappointing" and Radeon 9000, 9700 "won't run on Windows 98")

A representative from the firm has pointed us to a Microsoft statement which indicates why there are some problems – which sooner or later other devices will run up against.

The note from Microsoft reads:

WHQL will no longer accept certain submissions
"Beginning 01 July 2002, at 12:01 A.M. PST, WHQL will no longer accept submissions for all hardware devices and systems for the following operating systems. This includes all submission types for all devices and systems.

"Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition (SE)
"Windows NT 4.0 Workstation
"Windows NT 4.0 Server

"As a reminder, WHQL previously stopped accepting submissions for Windows 98 Gold in the latter part of 1999.

See here".

The ATI representative told the INQUIRER today that the only operating systems that Microsoft currently accepts as part of their WHQL (Windows Hardware Quality Labs) certification process are Windows 2000, Windows ME and Windows XP.

He said: "Since the RADEON 9700 and RADEON 9000 series of cards from ATI were released after the July 1st date, there was no way to obtain certification for these drivers.

"Microsoft certification of drivers is the most significant 3rd party qualification of a devices stability and quality. ATI's CATALYST drivers are based on the foundation of stability and quality and as such every driver that ATI makes available must go through Microsoft certification.

"Although Microsoft no longer certifies devices under those operating systems, ATI still supports them. Users of Windows 98 and Windows 98 (SE) just simply need to use the WHQL certified Windows ME driver provided both on our shipping CD's and on our website. ATI also has an NT4 driver available for the RADEON 9000 and RADEON 9000 Pro which will be made available shortly.

"Furthermore users of those operating systems are still supported by ATI's customer care program and can still obtain technical support."

It's all part of Microsoft's cunning plan to persuade everyone in the universe to move to Windows Eyecandy XP, like it or not, in our view.

Fonte: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=4619

Para aqueles que têm o win 98 em dual boot para os jogos velhinhos, já não precisam de se preocupar. :)

Pah acho perfeitamente normal que comecem a descontinuar o Win98... para além de ser normal é mais um motivo para as pessoas se manterem actualizadas.

Eu prefiro o 2000 e o XP ao 98 MIL VEZES!

Mas pronto agora vai tudo começar a dizer mal da MS ...

Mas Korben, (por exemplo) porque é que eu haveria de ser obrigado a deixar de ter o win 98 em dual boot se eu quero o win 98 para jogar Masters of Orion 2 em Multiplayer, e ter uma 9700 para correr UT2, em 2k/XP?

Agora imagina se os drivers do ME não corressem em 98, lá tinha eu de mudar de SO, e eu não gosto do ME para correr jogos em DOS!

Back