AMD attacks DDR-II latency problems

Zarolho

Power Member
L3 cache isn’t coming for no reason

TALKING WITH ENGINEERS can be a refreshing experience, unlike most of the marchitectural mumbo-jumbo I often encounter. One such conversation happened since I proffered the AMD DDR-II 1066 story during SnowBIT in Hangover. The engineer comes from the wonderful world of DRAM development.

Why was DDR-II 667 support scrapped, and why is AMD gearing up towards DDR-II 800 and possibly faster memory clocks? The reason is the latency of DDR-II, which is considered to be catastrophic for companies with direct access to the memory. This wasn’t a problem for only AMD. Remember the products from ATI and Nvidia with DDR-II memory some time ago, most notably the 256MB version of Radeon 9800Pro and the "dustbuster" known as the GeForce FX5800.

The reason why AMD decided to scrap DDR-II 667 was because it had predicted, or perhaps just hoped, that by the time of migration to the new socket, the latencies of DDR-II would fall to the DDR-I level, and the ideal pick would be 2.5 and 3 latencies at the worst. Sadly for AMD, things went in the other direction and the only logical conclusion was to implement support for higher memory speeds. As memory standards develop, there is a possibility that AMD will add support for faster DDR-II memory by just updating the microcode, but things are far more complicated than that.

The answer is simple in theory. Add another level of cache, go for a big one and you’re home free. In fact, by creating a larger L3 cache, AMD will have the opportunity to reduce the size of L2 cache and save die space. 64+64 L1, 512KB or 1MB L2 and 2-4MB of L3 are the first things that comes to mind. The cache would of course, keep all two or four cores happy and keep the data flowing.

Of course, there is also another possibility. A 256-bit memory controller, doubling the bandwidth of current 128-bit and adding complexity to the memory configuration with at least four populated slots. µ

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30513

heh, claro... Já se sabia k a latência da DDR2 ia cortar muita performance da AMD... Caso eles não lancem nada com timmings mais apertados realmente a cache L3 vai ter de ser a melhor opção...

Mas se ja se sabia.. bem que podiam ter apostado logo numa DDR3 ou algo do genero, que compensasse as latencias altas. É que esta nova plataforma da amd não me parece que vá ter grande sucesso, pelo menos os resultados iniciais apontam pro oposto.

pois realmente tinham d fazer alguma coisa contra os timmings tao elevados....
agr e esperar para ver.. mas pelo que ja s viu... so s o preco for baixo e q tem sucesso que os resultados andam um pco mal..

cache L3... bem, ate nem é mal remendado.
contudo, isso sai caro, e não vai ser a AMD a pagar os custos desta memoria, ainda para mais, nas quantidades referidas. especialmente se for à velocidade do nucleo (o que é sempre preferivel)
mas, esta alteração, seguindo em frente, para mim, so comprova (mais uma vez) que não ha realmente interesse nenhum nesta mudança para DDR2.
bom, é capaz de ser o que vem depois tisto.
este AM2 é quase um flop. :| a AMD vai perder com isto. especialmente na conjuntura que se preve quando estes cpu's estiverem ca fora...

Com a Cache L3 e DDR2 800 isto é capaz de melhorar... Mas sinceramente não estou a ver nada capaz de apanhar o Conroe... A não ser k a AMD tenha alguma coisa escondida na manga...

Koncaman a AMD precisava era dumas BH-15 a DDR800 2-2-2-5 :P

pois, em quantidades de 2 ou 4mb tinha um impacto importante nos custos de produção...
e no consumo, e aquecimento, etc etc...

destr0yer who cares ;) Por acaso nunca me tinha lembrado do 5 ser dos ns... Então venham lá as BH-2 k eu n me importo nada...

Back