Processador AMD ZEN2 7nm (ler primeiro post)

O engraçado mesmo será o preço de cada uma das opções
Para uma empresa como a Cloudflare o preço de aquisição é quase peaners. Daí o normal é a Intel (e AMD, se puder) pedir ao largos milhares por cpu's destes, tendo margens/lucro brutais neste segmento.

O importante desdes cpu's para quem os compra é o TCO, total cost of ownership, onde pesa mais a relação consumo energético/performance e o custo de arrefecimento (relacionado com o consumo energético),.. e na relação performance/consumo energético é uma abada de todo o tamanho que a Intel leva.

Para uma empresa como a Cloudflare o preço de aquisição é quase peaners. Daí o normal é a Intel (e AMD, se puder) pedir ao largos milhares por cpu's destes, tendo margens/lucro brutais neste segmento.

O importante desdes cpu's para quem os compra é o TCO, total cost of ownership, onde pesa mais a relação consumo energético/performance e o custo de arrefecimento (relacionado com o consumo energético),.. e na relação performance/consumo energético é uma abada de todo o tamanho que a Intel leva.

Falava do preço a que vendem cada opção ao público

AMD Gives Itself Massive Cost-cutting Headroom with the Chiplet Design
At its 2020 IEEE ISSCC keynote, AMD presented two slides that detail the extent of cost savings yielded by its bold decision to embrace the MCM (multi-chip module) approach
In the slides below, AMD compares the cost of its current 7 nm + 12 nm MCM approach to a hypothetical monolithic die it would have had to build on 7 nm (including the I/O components).
Kz3cs0RT9fOKcSWg.jpg

9uDSBMVuYGk9WqcD.jpg

https://www.techpowerup.com/264271/...cost-cutting-headroom-with-the-chiplet-design

Assim se percebe melhor as enormes vantagens em termos de estrutura de preços da AMD. Sobretudo no mercado de servidores.

Que havia enormes vantagens na arquitetura chiplet já se sabia.

O interessante aqui é ver a vantagem do custo quantificada: menos de metade do custo do chip monolítico equivalente.

:n1qshok:

Microsoft Azure HBv2 HPC Features AMD EPYC 7002 and Mellanox

The company has been building a supercomputer in the cloud that allows one to consume HPC without having to build out a site. Unlike some other cloud vendors, Microsoft is building specific infrastructure with AMD EPYC 7002 series CPUs with SMT turned off and Mellanox interconnects in their Azure HBv2 instances.

:n1qshok:
The Microsoft Azure HBv2 instances are designed for HPC, and not general-purpose workloads. Each HBv2 virtual machine includes 120 AMD EPYC 7002 series cores at up 3.3GHz. That aligns with the AMD EPYC 7H12 HPC part as well as the EPYC 7642. Rumor has it that these are actually AMD EPYC 7742 CPUs we reviewed. Microsoft says these VM are capable of 4 TFLOPs (double-precision) and 8 TFLOPs (single-precision.)
Networking is also a big story. The Azure HBv2 includes Mellanox HDR Infiniband which runs at 200Gbps. The HPC team at Azure built a high-speed Infiniband network just to service the HPC clusters. This is not re-purposed 25GbE from general-purpose machines. Mellanox HDR requires PCIe Gen4 to run at full speed in a single x16 slot.
https://www.servethehome.com/microsoft-azure-hbv2-hpc-features-amd-epyc-7002-and-mellanox/

O TomsHardware tem um artigo com o tipo que andou a bater records com um 3990X + LN2.

Dt0DBTy.jpg

9sPnSps.jpg

SfikZYM.jpg

O artigo é interessante para quem gosta de OC. Algumas das passagens:

I've spent weeks sorting different versions of Windows 10, Server, Enterprise, Pro, Build 19035, 1909, 1809, 911….all in search of the best operating system to handle the titanic power that is the 3990X. Different benchmarks like different things, but Server 2019 1809 and 2012 delivered such unparalleled performance that I beat liquid nitrogen (LN2) cooling scores with simple water cooling.

Running the chip at 4.5GHz on all 64 cores at a 1.4 vCore pulled a peak of 1280 watts at 0C.

I would put overclocking potential on water cooling for an average 3990X in the comfortable range of 4.3-4.4 GHz depending on your luck in the silicon lottery. High-end air cooling really tops out around 4.00-4.1 GHz.

GSkill designed the Neo line of memory specifically for AMD systems, so it supports tight latencies and lower frequency with stellar results. I can do either 3200 MHz at 11-11-11-11-1t timings or 4400 MHz at 14-14-14-14-1T timings, with either setting at very low voltages for B-die memory kits. I have gotten plenty of binned B-die memory samples before, but this kit has handily beaten any previous kit.

Geekbench3 was my first target for liquid nitrogen benching. It is a real painful bench on 64 cores and takes nearly two minutes to finish. Of course, the hardest sub-test (Ray Trace) is one of the last at around the 1:45 mark. The pass/fail rate on the bleeding edge is around a 10% pass for the test. Can you imagine balancing a 1800W load at -160C for nearly two minutes? That uses about 1.5 liters of LN2 that cost roughly $3 per run. Is that not crazy?

After taking the world record in Geekbench3, I swapped over to Cinebench R20, which is peanuts by comparison. The test is over in roughly five seconds, and while the load is pretty heavy, it isn’t overwhelming.

In a perfect world, you want the highest fabric frequency possible (1867MHz) for this chip. At 1867MHz, 5.1GHz is the max stable core frequency and yields a score of 39,000 in Cinebench R20. If you lower the fabric to 1600MHz, 5.27GHz will pass, and you’ll still score 39,000 in the same benchmark. If you split the difference and run a 1733MHz fabric, 5.2GHz will pass, but you’ll still score 39,000 in R20. This is why I call it a performance cap: You can run any combination of fabric and core speeds at their limits, but you’ll achieve the same score.

On the power front, at 1.65 vCore, depending on the benchmark, the system drew between 1200 and 2000W. While just idling in the OS, the system used 375W, which is nearly the entire power budget of a Core i9-9900K under load. As a result, you have to pour liquid nitrogen constantly on the 3990X rig from the moment you turn it on until the moment you power it down.

https://www.tomshardware.com/features/amd-threadripper-3990x-world-records

A performance pura do 3990X é tão elevada, que ele encontrou uma versão específica de windows onde a performance era maior. Até o software está a limitar o potencial máximo.

A competição é fabulosa!

E mesmo assim o Linux ganha ao Windows em tipo 90% de testes muitithread...

Estes CPUs estão presos pelo software, provavelmente a performance teórica é muito maior, mas ai precisa de compilar e desenvolver OS e o software para tirar partido disso, o que como sabemos não é fácil.

Mais 2 sistemas Cray Shasta, desta vez para o NOAA

The United States’ National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) last week announced plans for a major refresh of its operational weather forecasting supercomputers, part of a 10-year, $505.2 million program, which will secure two HPE Cray systems for NOAA’s National Weather Service to be fielded later this year and put into production in early 2022.
Each identical Cray Shasta system spans 2,560 dual-socket nodes — housed in 10 cabinets — powered by second-gen AMD Epyc ‘Rome’ 64-core 7742 processors, connected by Cray’s Slingshot network. The total system memory per machine is 1.3 petabytes. Cray’s ClusterStor systems provide 26 petabytes of storage per site (a flash storage system with 614 terabytes of usable space and two HDD file systems with 12.5 petabytes of usable storage).
https://www.hpcwire.com/2020/02/24/cray-to-provide-noaa-with-two-amd-powered-supercomputers/

Edit: acabou de ser anunciado que o DoE, vai instalar no Lawrence Livermore National Lab, mais um Cray Shasta, o último supercomputador ainda a concurso, o El Capitan, mas vai ser "Zen 4" e qualquer coisa derivada da Arcturus, ou seja vai fornecer CPU+GPU.
https://www.servethehome.com/hpe-cray-and-amd-win-again-with-el-capitan-2-exaflop-supercomptuer/

Última edição:
Interessante. A Nokia andava a virtualizar o máximo possível, lembro-me que já há 4 anos atrás estavam a tentar passar o máximo de servidores do core de voz e dados para algo virtual. Se eles forem fazer farms de virtualização para os serviços de core, Epyc é uma opção que faz sentido.

Eu percebo muito pouco do mercado de telecomunicações, mas lembrei-me que à pouco tempo a Intel anunciou o Atom P5900, com o novo core a 10 nm e que se destina a esse mercado. A apresentação tem este slide com a Ericson, Nokia e ZTE:
WAJOREd.jpg

Mas no slide de apresentação do Tremont, uns meses antes, a Nokia não estava lá:
rKMpiEs.jpg

Eu não sei se este Atom não concorre directamente com o Epyc, já que vai de 8 a 24 cores e foi feito para o mercado de redes:
AhHlLQf.jpg

Eu percebo muito pouco do mercado de telecomunicações, mas lembrei-me que à pouco tempo a Intel anunciou o Atom P5900, com o novo core a 10 nm e que se destina a esse mercado. A apresentação tem este slide com a Ericson, Nokia e ZTE:
WAJOREd.jpg

Mas no slide de apresentação do Tremont, uns meses antes, a Nokia não estava lá:
rKMpiEs.jpg

Eu não sei se este Atom não concorre directamente com o Epyc, já que vai de 8 a 24 cores e foi feito para o mercado de redes:
AhHlLQf.jpg

É verdade, a Nokia vai estar de volta ;) só esta semana é que eles celebraram o acordo :) por isso que no segundo Slide só tens a Ericsson e a ZTE :)

Back