ATI: Wii Graphics at E3 "Tip of the Iceberg"

Ridley

Power Member
Following the Consumer Electronics Show 2006 held in Las Vegas, Nevada last week, Revolution Report had the opportunity to discuss Nintendo and its next-generation console, code-named the Nintendo Revolution, with the system's GPU provider ATI Technologies (www.ati.com). The interview occurred between Revolution Report's Senior Editor Shawn White and ATI's Public Relations Manager for Consumer Products, John Swinimer.

Revolution Report:
How long have you been working at ATI and what responsibilities does your job encompass?

John Swinimer: I've been working here since February 2001. Not as long as some of the people who've been working on the game console side. Certainly, its been very exciting. I was very, very excited and pleased to be able to stand up at Nintendo's booth back in 2001 at E3 and proudly wear one of the specially made ATI Dolphin shirts. I was very proud to be a part of that and I'm hoping the time comes where I can do that again. Since before the day I joined, we were working on building that relationship from that announcement. I work on other matters here too; I work on the digital TV side, the multimedia side, we have another division here that works on embedded display graphics. While ATI has other divisions, my responsibilities here go beyond ATI's desktop graphics division, to include ATI's other business units and ATI has many different divisions.

Revolution Report: Is Hollywood based off Flipper, a current or upcoming PC architecture, or built from the ground up?

Swinimer: Hollywood is a specific design and is in no way reflective of PC technology. Even when the Flipper chips came out, people were asking that question: "Is this a spin-off of something done on the PC?", and the answer is no. It is designed the same as the Flipper was -- from the ground up for a specific console. Totally different sort of architecture from what you might find on the PC. Certainly, there are some underlying values—you know, how you get graphics on the screen—that's there. It's not, for example, like we took a PC design and said 'oh, you know what? If we tweak this and test this, it will work in a console.' [That's] not the case.

Revolution Report: Considering the form factor of the Revolution, heating has become a concern. Has this been a challenge for ATI in development of Hollywood?

Swinimer: The form factor design of even some of the newer consumer electronics devices are getting smaller and smaller, and we are taking that into great consideration, all across the board. I don't know if you are aware of this, but ATI has graphics chips in Motorola RAZRs. ATI has graphics chips inside many consumer electronic designs and heat is definitely a consideration, so we definitely take that into consideration when we are designing new chips. There's a lot of technology you can put into the chip now that can reduce the level of [heat] output.

For example, on a totally different side note, on our PC side we are very conscious of that and we try to, over the course of the design of a PC chip, get it to the point where you do not need a fan. These are things we have to take into consideration. Putting a fan on PC cards, retail cards such as ATI’s Radeon cards, adds more cost and complexity to the design of the chip. If we can get the design to the point where you don't need the fan to keep it cool, you've exceeded on a number of different levels. ATI in general is very conscious of this when we are working with not only PC vendors, but also consumer electronics manufacturers.

Revolution Report: A number of Web sites have inferred that Revolution will be significantly inferior graphically. While it certainly seems like Revolution won't output in HD, is it safe to assume that Hollywood will not feature a comparable polygon count or the same amount of graphical effects as the Xbox 360's GPU?

Swinimer: What I can say is that ATI is focused, as is Nintendo, in making [Revolution] a great, gaming entertainment platform. I know that a lot of journalists are very focused on specs. It's the big thing; as a geek, I look for that too. The key thing to keep in mind is that Nintendo, with ATI's help, is trying to create a game console where you don't have to look at [specs].

From a broader perspective, we share in Nintendo's position that this console will be devoted to the general gamer. When you have a game developer developing [for] this, the goal is to ensure that they don't have to worry about the complexity that is required to develop the games by making them "jump through hoops." That was one of the benefits of working on the GameCube; developers were saying that it is quite easy to develop for and there are not a lot of complexities so they could produce titles easily. That being said, we want consumers to look at the game, play the game and be involved in it. We are doing our very best to make this Nintendo gaming experience the very best it can be.

Revolution Report:
Is Hollywood finalized? If not, when is work expected to be finished?

Swinimer: I know that Nintendo has committed to 2006 availability. Certainly, game developers need some time to start developing games for it. I can't say anything more than that.

Revolution Report: Have you had the opportunity to demo the Revolution controller yourself?

Swinimer: No I haven't. I have seen the video of it. And believe it or not, there was someone on the Web that put together a paper cut-out.

Revolution Report: Yes, I actually made one of those, it was quite interesting.

Swinimer: I did too. So I showed it off to people by saying: 'Hey, look at this, it’s pretty cool.' People are sort of skeptical whether this can actually work, but looking at the videos and certainly based what Nintendo has promised, it has a lot of potential. I think game developers will realize that over time, it’s a great way to attract more general gamers, casual gamers.

Revolution Report: Do you expect there will be an ATI sticker on each Revolution like we saw with GameCube?

Swinimer:
That was a very unique situation. However, ATI in general tries to do cooperative marketing when possible. For example, there are laptops that include ATI stickers and now this co-marketing is extending to televisions. So if it makes sense for the chip and from a consumer perspective, certainly we would be very glad for that logo process to happen. But I can't comment on whether or not that will that will happen at this time.

Having the ATI logo on Nintendo Gamecube was a very nice thing, though. In fact, I don't know if you ever saw the chip on the motherboard, but the chip actually had the ATI logo. It was ATI's new current logo. That was the very first instance of it ever appearing. At the time it came out, ATI was still using the old logo, so it took some time for the rest of the company to catch up. So the GameCube was revolutionary in many respects with that branding of ATI's logo. I thought that was quite interesting.

Revolution Report: What is the difference between making graphics cards for PCs and graphics chips for consoles?

Swinimer: There are different, unique aspects to it. There are complexities that are required. The underlying value is there -- getting pixels on the screen. that's the bottom line. Beyond that, you have to consider other things about the audio, and about the form factor. When working on a PC, there are industry specifications or standards that you have to adhere to. There are video standards; there are actual requirements when you put it on a PC.. When you are working on the console space, those specifications are not as rigid..

Revolution Report: There's more flexibility?

Swinimer: Yes, there's more flexibility in design. With PCs, it's a little more regimented. If a manufacturing PC customer comes to you and says, 'I want you to design a board or chip for me that helps me solve this problem,' we know exactly what is going on and have pre-made plans. From a console point, you can extrapolate some of those technologies, but you are sort of working free-form with what the customer requires, which can be an exciting prospect.

Revolution Report: Any closing comments about the Hollywood chip?

Swinimer: I think it's too early to provide more information. As you can respect in a customer relationship, as in all our customer relationships, we don't want to pre-announce what the customer intends to do. So we have to wait and see what Nintendo plans to announce and we will support them with whatever we can when the time comes.

Revolution Report: Thank you for your time Mr. Swinimer and have a good day.

Swinimer: Will do, I hope to chat with you in the future.

http://www.revolutionreport.com/articles/read/254

Última edição:
Não diz grande coisa.. aparte de nos dar a certeza que afinal não é uma X1600 alterada.

Deve andar mais perto do R500 da x360.. talvez com menos memória "on-die" (não é bem on-die) e menos pixel shaders.

ToTTenTranz disse:
Não diz grande coisa.. aparte de nos dar a certeza que afinal não é uma X1600 alterada.

Deve andar mais perto do R500 da x360.. talvez com menos memória "on-die" (não é bem on-die) e menos pixel shaders.
mal posso esperar por saber mais...

De resto pareçe que é um core feito de origem ou muito afastado dos PC's porque ele claramente diz que foi desenhado de raiz para a consola e não é um spinoff de um GPU de desktop (como é o caso do GPU da X360), por um lado soa bem, por outro acho que poderia ser bem mais cost effective ter uma x1600 que é mass produced e tem tendencia a baixar de custo, mas se tiver o nivel de optimização que eles prometem espero que seja muito bom.

hm, podem estar a usar uma low spec que optimize bem, resultado Boa imagem e barato, alem disso secalhar tambem pode ser aplicada a jogos já feitos :)

INFeCT1oN disse:
hm, podem estar a usar uma low spec que optimize bem, resultado Boa imagem e barato, alem disso secalhar tambem pode ser aplicada a jogos já feitos :)
não sei se será tão low spec assim, o flipper não era nada low spec para a sua altura (4 pipelines em 2001), era simplesmente totalmente independente dos desenhos de GPU's caseiros, para algumas coisas para melhor, para outras para pior.

Mas de facto o GPU ideal para emular um flipper out of the box teria/deveria ter algum suporte legacy, ou então teria de ser parcialmente emulado por CPU ou por packets, aquela coisa tem dois alpha registers e outras features a dobrar e muitos jogos exclusivos usam as mesmas.

Agora para mim é uma completa incógnita de que potencia/eficiencia estaremos a falar desta vez. Mas um GPU dedicado em desenvolvimento desde 2001... Não se pode ficar mal no que se propõe a fazer, o problema é que não sabemos, afinal a que se propõe ele, apesar de responsaveis da nintendo dizerem que será comparável aos graficos de proxima geração que as outras consolas estão a fazer.

É esperar pela E3.

Esta informação é um trecho de um post feito por um moderador nos forums da Nintendo America, é bastante credivel.
5. Can you convince gamers that power doesn’t matter?

No. And, we're not really trying to. Unless we start to try, then, nevermind... =P

Even the folks who are number-junkies will see a Revolution demo in a store in the future, and get a chance to form an opinion based on the Whoa! This is a cool control and fun game!-factor.

If someone is picking their system based on raw power numbers, they won't pick our system. If someone's getting a game system based on pure raw numbers, they should go out and get one of the high-end PC gaming machines, with the latest chipsets, dual-graphics cards, etc. (Currently going for about $3500, less for systems that aren't using the latest stuff, double that if you're using bleeding-edge, overclocked, liquid-cooled systems.)

When talking power in the XBox 360/PS3/Revolution generation, you gotta mention HD. The other guys have it, we won't. Why not? Well, I could tell you that the saturation rate for people with HDTV hasn't even hit 20% yet...but I haven't looked up the actual numbers for a few months. I will tell you that HD is the reason you need all that power. If you double the resolution, you need four times the power for the same performance. Revolution will do 480p, and it's games will look great. If we went with HD, our system would have to be more powerful to push all those pixels.

Hey, I personally think GoldenEye 007 (N64) is a better game than GoldenEye: Rogue Agent (GCN). Sure, the GCN is more powerful than the N64, but when friends come over, it's the N64 version we're playing (I have both).
Fonte: http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo...ssage.id=745578&view=by_date_ascending&page=2
(O link não abre no browser Opera)

Acho esta informação uma boa adição a esta thread, mais uma vez a reafirmação (desta vez não oficial) que eles estão a fazer uma consola para fazer os mesmos graficos que as outras fazem, mas... sem suporte HD, nada de novo, mas bom de ver reafirmado.

EDIT:Só não concordo numa coisa ali... não é presiso dar $3500 por um PC topo de gama para bater uma Xbox 360...

INFeCT1oN disse:
I_Eat_All low-spec comparando aos GPUS das outras consolas :P
Talvez... mas não deixo de estar curioso do que consegue fazer... a ATi dá a dica de que possivelmente nem terá ventoinha, e de que será muito optimizado, o que eu espero não é a tecnologia de ontem, é a tecnologia de hoje usada no sentido de estabilidade e optimização em vez de potencia bruta... claro que não vai ter o mesmo horse-power, mas... comparativamente nem a Gamecube o tinha em poligonos RAW (face à xbox por exemplo) no entanto faz mais poligonos texturados devido à optimização... se esta geração a nintendo conseguir igualar no que toca a poligonos texturados face à xbox 360... estaremos perante um GPU muito bem desenhado e eficiente. Se fizer isso eu não considerarei "low-spec", e é isso que eu quero ver, do que ele é capaz.

Última edição:
I_Eat_All disse:
EDIT:Só não concordo numa coisa ali... não é presiso dar $3500 por um PC topo de gama para bater uma Xbox 360...

Bem... Como é dito, utilizando tudo do bom e do melhor, pode ser que sim.
Monitor todo pipi... Placa gráfica com todas as mariquices, disco rígido à altura...
E se quiseres coisas que durem mais do que dois meses... Até acredito.

eyeliner disse:
Bem... Como é dito, utilizando tudo do bom e do melhor, pode ser que sim.
Monitor todo pipi... Placa gráfica com todas as mariquices, disco rígido à altura...
E se quiseres coisas que durem mais do que dois meses... Até acredito.
É possivel montar um PC estável por bem menos, não presisa de ser tudo peças topo de gama, apenas o tal nicho "qualidade/preço", a favorecer uma placa topo de gama, processador por exemplo, pode ser gama média, quanto a overclocks e sistemas puxados ao nivel da instabilidade... não me tava a referir a eles quando disse aquilo.

O preço da TV HD não está incluido (nem é obrigatório) no preço da Xbox 360, portanto também não vejo porquê inclui-lo para um PC, quase toda a gente já tem um monitor, assim como quase toda a gente já tem uma TV Standard Definition.

$3500 é muito dinheiro para gastar num PC... muito mesmo, a esse preço os Macs Quad Core pareçem baratos... :(

É o que afirmo, a Revolution tem a normal evolução gráfica sem o suporte HD, a Xbox360 e PS3 são a evolução gráfica + o poder de processamento para suportar o HD.
Eu acho que a Revolution vai permitir correr jogo como RE5 e outros jogos com belos gráficos.

Quem é que vai comprar uma consola só porque tem um processador poderosíssimo?
Quem compra uma consola apenas por este motivo é um tolo que nem deve ser levado em consideração.

Ridley disse:
Quem é que vai comprar uma consola só porque tem um processador poderosíssimo?
Quem compra uma consola apenas por este motivo é um tolo que nem deve ser levado em consideração.

O que quase toda a gente quer é eye-candy.

Ou então a next big thing. O monstro que puxa polígonos, corre jogos a 500 fps, com grande
processador e números incompreensíveis e que fazem com que seja a inveja dos amiguinhos do
bairro.

eyeliner disse:
O que quase toda a gente quer é eye-candy.

Ou então a next big thing. O monstro que puxa polígonos, corre jogos a 500 fps, com grande
processador e números incompreensíveis e que fazem com que seja a inveja dos amiguinhos do
bairro.

Eu lembro-me na altura da Playstation 1 quem a tinha era quem fazia inveja aos outros e eu tinha a N64 com melhores gráficos mas com um apoio das softwarehouses francamente inferior.
Quem tem a Ps2 e é quem faz inveja aos outros e apesar de a GC ter melhores gráficos praticamente todos gostam mais da Ps2 .

Porque será?

Melhores "efeitos" gráficos (reflexos, etc), porque a limitação de espaço nas cartridges obrigava a que os developers filtrassem as texturas de uma forma excessiva (para que a sua baixa resolução não revelasse o "dithering", ou a pixelização, das mesmas).

Isto fazia com que os jogos ficassem todos com um aspecto demasiado "deslavado", sem detalhe e com superfícies muito planas, sobretudo em objectos com poucos polígonos.

Foi um erro enorme da Nintendo na altura (1996) não terem apostado em CD-ROM, sobretudo porque as Playstation e Sega Saturn já o usavam há ano e meio, e com ganhos evidentes.
E nos PC's já estavam a implementar-se desde 1990.

Eu aínda tenho para ali guardada uma cassete VHS de promoção à N64 (dos tempos iniciais, lançamento em Portugal, etc), e já na altura comentava isso mesmo com os meus amigos.

Eu quando falei ali em Low-specs falei em Horse Power. btw muita gente que tem PS2 nem sabe o que é 1 poligono, PS2 é moda, assim como a PSP é, mas neste momento quem vende bem quem é? DS.
Se a Nintendo quer roubar a atenção de Hardcore Gamers e Casual Gamers, na mesma consola, a consola precisa de Ser simples e efectiva, O comando é bastante simples mas muito eficaz, a consola por ex, nem tem que se estar a carregar num butão para abrir a portinha do CD é só enfiar lá para dentro. E além disso tem que equalar bons gráficos e preços baixos.

INFeCT1oN disse:
Eu quando falei ali em Low-specs falei em Horse Power. btw muita gente que tem PS2 nem sabe o que é 1 poligono, PS2 é moda, assim como a PSP é, mas neste momento quem vende bem quem é? DS.

Onde viste isso?
Tas a falar do Japão ñ?

Hm...

passa pelos últimos tópicos, vais encontrar dados que chegue....se não me engano, na última semana de dezembro a DS vendeu mais que as consolas todas juntas nessa mesma semana

A Ds a Nível mundial vendeu mais uns quantos milhões que a PSP, na América não existe uma diferença entre as 2, na Europa tanto a DS como a PSP vendem bem mas não sei os n.º, no Japão os a DS tem uns milhões a + que a PSP.

A PSP vende por razões diferentes da DS tem que entender isso, é indiferente à DS as vendas da PSP, ela é um sucesso como um aparelho de jogos.

Back