Continue the Whine

blastarr disse:
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2110

É só o segundo recall (o outro era não-oficial por causa da motherboard, mas existiu), a juntar às fichas Mag-Safe queimadas, pasta térmica em excesso que provoca sobreaquecimento, etc, etc.

Agora prefiro poupar tempo! :D

Two sides to every story
By maxplanar on 5/3/2006 1:51:27 PM , Rating: 2
"an infamous whine, AirPort Wi-Fi connection issues, excessive heat, and other minor issues"

I'd just like to present another perspective on these problems. The whine (caused, it seems by CPU throttling) is certainly no worse than on the previous AI Powerbook, and is a sound that is no more intrusive than the soft whine from the drive. It's a problem that's really been overhyped. You can't hear the sound in most environments - in a completely silent room, yes, otherwise no.

As to Airport connection issues, yes, they exist. Currently many users have to manually select the WiFi network when awaking from sleep, which was not neccessary on the previous generation Powerbooks. I have this problem on my MBP. However, anyone who believes this is anything other than a software rev. away from being fixed is a conspiracy theorist - this problem is certain to be rev'd out of existence within the next month or two. And it's not like it's, uh, a major hindrance to my workflow.

Heat? I find my DualCore 2.16GHz MacBook Pro to be no hotter on my lap than my 2003 1.25Ghz G4 Powerbook. They both get hot. Whatever. If it's a problem, it's certainly not a problem specific to this new architecture, and any thin, high performance laptop will suffer from the same problem until power management on laptops is improved. I used a friend's Vaio the other day for a while and it got pretty damn hot on my lap after an hour too. This issue is FUD.

The battery issue? Well, that sounds like it may need some attention, sure. But I don't have it and none of my three other colleagues who own MBP's have it.

People need to maintain some perspective, really.

Take me to the store and point out any brand or model laptop that has absolutely zero issues and I'll show you my giant many-headed Polar Bear.

The Itchy & Scratchy Show! :D (Desculpa lá Madril mas o Sylvester e Tweety são demasiado softcore para se compararem a estes dois...)

ajax disse:
Agora prefiro poupar tempo! :D

Two sides to every story
By maxplanar on 5/3/2006 1:51:27 PM , Rating: 2
"an infamous whine, AirPort Wi-Fi connection issues, excessive heat, and other minor issues"

I'd just like to present another perspective on these problems. The whine (caused, it seems by CPU throttling) is certainly no worse than on the previous AI Powerbook, and is a sound that is no more intrusive than the soft whine from the drive. It's a problem that's really been overhyped. You can't hear the sound in most environments - in a completely silent room, yes, otherwise no.

As to Airport connection issues, yes, they exist. Currently many users have to manually select the WiFi network when awaking from sleep, which was not neccessary on the previous generation Powerbooks. I have this problem on my MBP. However, anyone who believes this is anything other than a software rev. away from being fixed is a conspiracy theorist - this problem is certain to be rev'd out of existence within the next month or two. And it's not like it's, uh, a major hindrance to my workflow.

Heat? I find my DualCore 2.16GHz MacBook Pro to be no hotter on my lap than my 2003 1.25Ghz G4 Powerbook. They both get hot. Whatever. If it's a problem, it's certainly not a problem specific to this new architecture, and any thin, high performance laptop will suffer from the same problem until power management on laptops is improved. I used a friend's Vaio the other day for a while and it got pretty damn hot on my lap after an hour too. This issue is FUD.

The battery issue? Well, that sounds like it may need some attention, sure. But I don't have it and none of my three other colleagues who own MBP's have it.

People need to maintain some perspective, really.

Take me to the store and point out any brand or model laptop that has absolutely zero issues and I'll show you my giant many-headed Polar Bear.

Pois, um quote de um mac lover, mas outras pessoas que lhe responderam discordam...:

Sounds like you are putting up with and tolerant of a number of issues/inconveniences. I never have had anything of the sort with my ThinkPads.

I know that a lot of folks are in love with Apple, but I tend to see them as just another company. Companies all have some good qualities and bad qualities.

I am glad for you that you can tolerate the heat of your MBP, but the heat issue is an extremely serious one that most MBP users have, even if they don't want to admit it. Many people with MBP's (these are Mac fanboys mind you) report that their skin would literally be burned if they touched certain areas on the outside of the notebook for more than 2 seconds during load. This is simply unacceptable, especially because of the reason for this, that Apple has been using ridiculous amount of thermal paste on their cpu's. When some intrepid souls took apart their MBP, scraped off the ridiculous amount of thermal paste, and put on an appropriate amount, they discovered at least 12 degree improvement in temperature, sometimes amounting to as much as a 20 degree difference. And it is not like you can expect to return your MBP to Apple and expect to recieve a replacement that does not have this problem. The scans from the Apple repair manual clearly show that Apple believes an entire tube of thermal paste should be squeezed on each die (cpu, gpu and northbridge), and the picture shows as much. (The correct amount would be a grain of rice sized drop). Apple refuses to acknowledge this critical flaw in their machines that could be easily fixed in the manufacturing process. This is inexcusable. I repeat, the current fix is to completely take apart the MBP, scrape off the current paste, reapply, and put the whole thing back together again. This is not acceptable. I hope you enjoy your expensive defective system.

Back