[Discussão] Are “instant on” notebooks the future?

Romani48

Power Member
Dell has previewed a new instant on technology that allows users to carry out basic tasks on their notebooks without having to boot up into Windows. Is this the future for notebooks?
laptop_latitude_e4200_overview3.jpg
The technology, called Dell Latitude ON, will feature on the Latitude E4200 and E4300 in the next few months. It will allow users to have near-instant access to a Linux-based environment that offers email, calendar, attachments, contacts (yes, these are going to have to be cloud computing-based since you’re not going to want to have to reenter the same data more than once) and a web browser, all without ever needing to boot into the main operating system. An added advantage of Dell Latitude ON its that it extends the battery life from hours to days. Sweet.
Instant on technology isn’t a new thing. Dell Latitude ON is similar to ASUS’ ExpressGate or Voodoo’s IOS technologies which are powered by Splashtop.
Instant on technologies have a number of potential upsides for the end user. Speed of boot-up (near instant) and increased battery life are two obvious benefits, but there are others. Having your browsing and email isolated from the main bulk of your data is highly desirable (as is browsing within a secure environment that’s resistant to malware such as keyloggers), as is having access to an environment that’s resistant to being crippled by a dodgy driver or misbehaving software could be very useful at times.
If I think about my normal notebook usage patterns, I’m pretty sure I could spend a good 80 - 90% of my time in the instant on environment and only boot into Windows when I needed to do something specifically Windows-centric. In fact, given a properly set up Linux distro as the main OS (which should be a snap to set up since these systems would/should already be Linux-compatible because they are running the Linux-based instant on OS ) which would allow me to handle Microsoft Office docs, and a VPN, I could do away with having Windows on the system altogether and simply connect to a secondary Windows-based PC when I wanted that functionality (when on the road I rarely, if ever, need to run anything heavy such as Photoshop).
The only problem (for Dell at any rate) is that as soon as you start living (and enjoying) the instant on environment, you start wondering whether you need a Dell at all and whether what you really need is something like the ASUS Eee PC.
Given all the attention that instant on is getting, how long until Microsoft develops a similar environment (think cut-down Windows Mobile)? ASUS’ ExpressGate is already bringing a lightweight Linux environment to millions of ASUS motherboard owners, and now Dell is set to make this audience even bigger. For Microsoft, all this focus on end user benefit driven by Linux can’t be a good thing.

FONTE

que dizem?
acho que cada vez mais o tempo é dinheiro, já era verdade no passado, e ainda mais agora no futuro...

E quem já não apenas ligou o PC porque queria ver uma coisita rápida e teve de esperar ainda algum tempo pelo boot do sistema?

É para isso que serve a suspensão. Eu uso bastante no meu portátil, ligo-o em aprox. 30 segundos.

Nem chega a tanto uso o vista, abro a tampa e esta pronto a trabalhar. Sinceramente não me faria escolher um portátil só por isto. E para dar mais uma lenha li por ai algures que se estão a desenvolver umas rams que não perdem a memoria quando a energia e cortada, já não me lembro onde li isso mas já foi a algum tempo. Na minha opinião esse sim seria o passo a dar pois preferia acordar de manhã, meter o pc a fazer boot (2min) enquanto lavo os dentes e depois ler os mails etc enquanto bebo o cafezito em vez de usar um OS meio xunga para ver os mails e depois ter que esperar que o windows entre :D Durante o dia deixava o gajo no sleep.

edit:

Ja encontrei -> http://www.megagames.com/news/html/hardware/hpmemristorthenextleapincomputermemoryevolution.shtml

Última edição:
O Asus M50VM ja traz o expressgate sbem que nunca foi necessário usar, e já agora aquilo acho que nao se porta la muito bem com wireless lol parece que ainda ninguem pos a funcionar.

Tal como foi ai dito, prefiro usar o meu sistema operativo normal e esperar 1/2 minutos que ele carregue completamente, do que usar um SO manhoso

Back