[E3] Nintendo conf.

Hands on with Nintendo's Wii controller

Posted May 11th 2006 3:15AM by Paul Miller
Filed under: Nintendo Wii, Wireless, E3, Peripherals
Alright, we briefed y'all on what we knew so far about the Wii controller early this morning, but now that we've gotten our paws on the Wiimote itself, we wanted to let you know how it is in the flesh. Nintendo and millions of fanboys are betting a lot on this concept, and Nintendo itself said that "playing is believing" every other sentence of their keynote, so the real question is: do we believe?

The short answer is that we're just not sure yet. The first chance we got with the Wii was for a golfing game (the shortest line we found, go fig) and as soon as we got our hands on the Wiimote we knew it was something special. We slipped the wrist lanyard on so we didn't fling the remote across the room, and held in our hands the light weight, ergonomic, and simply beautiful controller. If this was as far as we'd gotten we would have gone home happy. The controller allows plenty of leverage for the trigger "b" and the large "a" button, and only slipped out of our hand once from a particularly aggressive sword strike in "Red Steel." Click on for the rest.

Unfortunately, we soon realized a flaw in the control scheme for golf, in that there was no frame of reference or feedback for our motions. A traditional analog stick lets you know how extreme your motion was, but we just couldn't quite get a feel for how much power we were putting into our putts. Nintendo's "Tennis" game was quite enjoyable by comparison, but it automates a lot of the control such as the movement of your character. You also can't miss if you time your swing well enough, so we can't say this really tests the controller. That said, it was quite fun and provided a whole new type of play experience that we look forward to more of in the future. Next up, the "Obstacle Course" tech demo, which was so painful to play we almost swore off the controller altogether. Yeah, that fast. The sensitivity was so high that we couldn't keep our character from bouncing all around and losing all his coins, but our opponent managed his character fairly well, so perhaps we just don't got game.

Our hopes were buoyed by the sight of Ubisoft's "Red Steel," but were quickly dashed by the incredibly awkward FPS aiming that this game is banking on. The controls were great and easily learned, and we were soon slashing, parrying, ducking, shooting, reloading, opening and pushing with more convenience than we can ever remember in a shooter, and never had to look down to find a button once. But our aiming could be best compared to that of a hyperactive drunkard, and we seemed to get worse at aiming as the demo progressed. This is bad news for FPS fans who thought they might have found a new home on the Wii, but we have heard that games will allow you to set the controller sensitivity yourself, and Ubi obviously has some polishing time left before release.

We had a much more enjoyable experience aiming in a simple Bomberman mini game in which we shot at balls of lava, but weren't required to pan the camera or anything fancy. The other Bomberman mini games were equally enjoyable, including a balancing act, and a old school Sonic-like tunnel run that had us twisting our wrists in some rather uncomfortable ways -- in a good way. We didn't get to Zelda or Metroid, but we heard conflicting reports as to the ease of aiming in both of those games, with one complaining of the oversensitivity of Zelda, and another claiming Metroid to be the very pinnacle of the series and singing the praises of the FPS control.

The overall story seems to be that Nintendo's Wii controller (along with the expertly crafted and very intuitive nunchuka attachment) is all it claims to be, but software manufacturers still haven't figured out how to get this wonderful hardware to control their games as easily as the gamepads of yore, and our skills have not yet progressed beyond a shaky noob. It might turn out that the controller is just too abstract for some actions, and too hard to hold and control for others (let's hope FPS doesn't fall into that category), but we're going to reserve judgement until the software is more mature and we get a Wii in our living room for a few nights of practice.

So, first impressions in a nutshell: mixed bag. Are we hopeful? You bet. Are we floored? Not yet, but we're not willing to rule anything out. We're expecting to get some more play time this week, so we'll check back with you.

Primeiras impressões independentes :)

Parece-me bem, Sadino.
Uma pessoa tem de ver tambem, que a partir deste momento n conta so se o jogo está bem feito ou não, mas sim a coordenação de cada um, especialmente nestes jogos que desporto que vão sair para a Wii. Acho perfeitamente natural que as primeiras instancias dos jogos terem alguns bugs, ou falta de "feel" ao jogar, a tecnologia ainda é nova tambem para as pessoas que estão a fazer os jogos.

Mais impressões...

Wii: How are the games?
Our columnist gets some hands-on time with Nintendo's next generation titles.
Game Over is a weekly column by Chris Morris
May 9, 2006: 2:40 PM EDT

LOS ANGELES (CNNMoney.com) – Nintendo hopes its new controller will be intuitive for people who are new to gaming or returning after a long absence, but it takes a while to get used to it.
In advance of Tuesday's announcements, I was given the opportunity to play five Wii games that will likely be released around the same time the system is. This was my second time using the controller – and while my accuracy had improved somewhat, I still found myself occasionally waving wildly across the screen (though, in fairness, Nintendo will likely further optimize the Wii controller before the system launches at the end of this year).

The initial titles are a mix of familiar Nintendo franchises and gaming *****. Graphically, they're pretty much on par with the company's current generation GameCube, which can be disappointing after seeing the graphical power of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. But while graphics are important, it's ultimately how fun a game is that counts.
So how did the games fare?
"Wii Sports Tennis" – Mimicking a tennis swing and backhand is a pretty easy thing to do, so it didn't take long to get the hang of this game. The focus is solely on hitting the ball, not chasing it down since your onscreen character will automatically head to where the ball is going to land. But it's up to you to swing at the right time and with the right force. The harder you swing, the faster the ball goes. Visually this game wasn't too appealing, to be honest, but it was fun to play – and I'm happy to say I achieved a tie after two sets with a Nintendo representative.
"Wario Ware: Smooth Moves" – I've always enjoyed the "Wario Ware" collection of five-second mini-games, so it was good to see this in the launch lineup. If you're not familiar with the series, a brief three or four word description of what you're supposed to do flashes on screen, then it's up to you to do it. If you fail, don't worry. Another mini-game starts five seconds later. "Smooth Moves" lets you get used to using the Wii controller in several ways – holding it sideways, resting it on the palm of your hand, and holding it as you would a pen. It would, in fact, be a perfect game to bundle with the system, so people get an idea of what it can do. (Don't count on that to happen.) Graphics, again, are the failing point. The game, visually, looks awful – though the series has never been about looks.
"Excite Truck" – Imagine holding your TV remote control by its ends and pretending it's a steering wheel. Substitute the Wii controller and you've got an idea of how to control "Excite Truck". Driving's pretty easy. The real fun comes when you hit a hill and go sailing into the air. The object is to land with all four wheels on the ground. To do that you'll have to tilt the controller back and forth away from you to stabilize the truck. It's frenetic and fast-paced – and seemed to be everyone's favorite game. I agreed.
"The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess" – This version of the game, which will be sold separately from the GameCube version, uses both the controller and the 'nunchuck' secondary controller and suffered the most from the controller's optimization problems. I tried two different parts of the game – fishing and fighting. Fishing was a fun affair. To cast Link's line, you press one of the controller's buttons, hold your arm up and then fling your arm as if you were casting an actual rod and reel. Shaking your hand lets the lure juke through the water, attracting the fish's attentions. To reel your line in, you can either press a button and have it done or wind the secondary controller as if you were reeling in a line. It's easy and rather calming, though all of my casts hooked right, even when I deliberately threw towards the left.
Combat was more complicated – and where the biggest flaws were apparent. For some reason, Nintendo chose not to allow you use the controller when you were fighting with swords. That's done with button pushing – which takes some of the fun out of it. You simply use the controller to launch a whirling attack. When using your bow and arrow, you do use the controller, but it takes a very steady hand. The first few times I tried, my point of view whipped around the screen so fast I got dizzy. Again, optimization should help this problem.
"Metroid Prime 3: Corruption" – Having played a revamped "Metroid Prime 2" in January , I knew my way around this game. Using a thumbstick on the secondary controller to walk, I used the primary controller to look and shoot. Targeting is easy once you get the hang of it, and I actually did better with the Wii controller than I ever did using the standard one. That could be because I play most shooter games on the PC and the Wii controller (on this game, at least) was akin to using a mouse.

e mais :D

agora devem estar aí aos montes e não vale pena estar a transcrever :-/

Having a Wii good time
By Alfred Hermida
Technology editor, BBC News website in Los Angeles

Nintendo Wii and controllers
The controller looks like a slim TV remote
Gamers are often stereotyped as couch potatoes, sitting in their bedrooms, staring intensely at a screen.

But at the Nintendo stand at the E3 games expo, enthusiasts were eagerly queuing up to have a go at flicking their wrists or swinging their arms.

The reason was Nintendo's new games console, the Wii, (pronounced we), and its unorthodox way of play.

The Japanese games giant has turned its back on the typical gamepad with a myriad of buttons and opted for using motion sensors.

The right-hand controller is shaped like a slim TV remote, while the left-hand one is rounded and curvy.

Nintendo is giving people the chance to try out the controls for themselves at E3, with 27 games for the Wii available to play.

After having tried out a handful of these games, the initial results are surprisingly promising.

Fore!

First off was tennis. In this you use the right-hand remote as a racket, swinging it to hit the ball across the net.

Screenshot of Metroid Prime 3
A playable level of Metroid Prime was available
It takes a couple of misses to connect your actions with the anime characters on the TV screen. But within a few minutes, it was fairly easy to smash the ball and win matches.

The game also quickly revealed that it was not just a case of vague, random movements.

A rapid swing would increase the power of the shot. And turning the controller at an angle would produce a top spin or slice.

Another of the games on offer was golf. Here the device becomes the club and the force of a drive is determined by how far back you swing the controller.

Again, the realism of the experience was impressive. In particular, putting involved controlled strokes, determined by how much you moved the device.

Point and shoot

Sports games like this lend themselves to physical controllers so the real test for the new controller would come with more conventional first-person shooters.

Nintendo Wii controllers
The one on the left is the nunchuck
Most fans of shooters prefer to play with a computer mouse and keyboard due to the degree of control this offers.

On the Wii, the right-hand controller acts lets you point and shoot. The left-hand holds the so-called nunchuck, which has a joystick for movement.

The unconventional set-up takes a while to get used to, especially as it is easy to wonder off to one side of the screen by unwitting moving the controller sideways.

But the point and shot mechanism works well and adds a degree of realism. Whereas in other games, reloading involves pressing a particular button, here a flick of the wrist is enough.

The swordplay was similarly intuitive - swing the right hand to strike and move the left hand to block.

Positive impression

The controls worked less well on another shooter, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption.

The principles were broadly the same, but some of the action also involved a number of button combinations.

Over time, gamers will probably get used to this but it did not have the same pick and play appeal as the sports games.

Of course, it is impossible to pass judgement on the Wii remote after just playing each game for 10 minutes or so.

Initially, it does feel a little strange to wave your arms around. And the remote worked best with the sport titles.

But on first impressions, Nintendo may have just produced a way of playing games that is fits the cliché - easy to play, hard to master.

The initial titles are a mix of familiar Nintendo franchises and gaming *****. Graphically, they're pretty much on par with the company's current generation GameCube, which can be disappointing after seeing the graphical power of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

É natural que a primeira geração dos jogos da Wii tenha o mesmo aspecto que os jogos da gamecube, já que os dev-kits até há pouco tempo eram gamecubes com mais memória.

por esta é que ninguém esperava:

super-smash-bros-brawl-20060510104821602.jpg

DSC_3387.jpg

DSC_3388.jpg

DSC_3389.jpg

best trailer... EVER :D

-> http://media.revolution.ign.com/media/748/748545/vids_1.html

O video tá de partir.

Última edição:
Segundo a joystiq o próprio Kojima já tinha pedido encarecidamente que o Snake entrasse no Super Smash Brothers Melee da GC mas quando pediu o desenvolvimento já ia muito avançado portanto ficou para este lol.

ToTTenTranz disse:
Segundo a joystiq o próprio Kojima já tinha pedido encarecidamente que o Snake entrasse no Super Smash Brothers Melee da GC mas quando pediu o desenvolvimento já ia muito avançado portanto ficou para este lol.
yah, é essa a história, mas deixa-me sem duvida bastante feliz. (e tem bom aspecto gráfico)

Microsoft elogia a Wii:
Peter Moore, vice president of Microsoft's Games Division, told Reuters Thursday that he predicts consumers will choose two consoles: Nintendo's Wii and Microsoft's Xbox 360. "Tell me why you would buy a $600 PS3?" he asked. "People are going to buy two (machines.) They're going to buy an Xbox and they're going to buy a Wii...for the price of one PS3."

Sony will begin selling its PlayStation 3, depending on the hard drive size, for $499 and $599 when it debuts in North America on November 17. Moore told Reuters, "People will always gravitate toward a competitively priced product -- like what I believe Wii will be -- with innovative new designs and great intellectual property like Mario, Zelda and Metroid."
Fonte: http://www.n-sider.com/newsview.php?type=story&storyid=2133

Havok e Freescale (Codewarrior) anunciam SDK's respectivos para a Wii:

Los Angeles, CA, May 9, 2006 - Havok, the game industry's leading supplier of cross-platform middleware solutions, announced today at the "E3" Electronic Entertainment Expo that it will optimize all of its game-play physics and animation software technology for the new Wii™ platform from Nintendo.

Havok has long been a supporter and advocate of Nintendo, with more than fifteen Nintendo GameCube™ titles released using Havok middleware. With this latest announcement Havok strenghtens its relationship with Nintendo, and helps accelerate the development of exciting new titles that take advantage of the Wii's unique capabilities.

"Nintendo has always captured the imagination of game-players and developers alike around the world," says Jeff Yates, VP Product Management at Havok. "Havok is no exception when it comes to the Wii platform. We look forward to seeing the amazing range of new experiences that this game system brings to new-generation developers."

"Havok has become synonymous with state-of-the-art physics in games in recent years," said Ramin Ravanpey, Director of Software Development Support, Nintendo of America. "With this announcement from Havok, we feel Wii developers have another critical tool in their hands that helps unleash the real magic of the Wii platform."

http://www.havok.com/content/view/315/53/

New CodeWarrior® Technology from Freescale Named Official Toolset for Nintendo's Wii™ Console; Freescale Helps Game Developers Turn Imagination into Reality with Industry-trusted CodeWarrior Technology

http://www.planetgamecube.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=11498

eyeliner disse:
De onde vem a PIT?
Não estou a ver o jogo em que tenha marcado presença.
E aquele redondo que luta com ela é um Pókemon?
Pit é a personagem principal de Kid Icarus... finalmente o trouxeram de volta :D agora dêem-lhe um jogo ^_^ mas a idade parece ter-lhe feito bem.

a coisa redonda que luta com o pit... é o Meta-Knight da série Kirby. :D

Pois é. Está na hora do Kid Icarus regressar. Eses jogos da era GBMono / Nes com história digna de
registo são inesquecíveis.

Gostava de ver um remake 3D do Ice Climber. :joker:

eyeliner disse:
Pois é. Está na hora do Kid Icarus regressar. Eses jogos da era GBMono / Nes com história digna de
registo são inesquecíveis.

Gostava de ver um remake 3D do Ice Climber. :joker:
Ice climber por acaso era capaz de funcionar com o wiimote :rolleyes:
----------------------------------------
De resto... A banda sonora do SSBB é orchestrada e o responsável por ela não é nada mais nada menos... que o Nobuo Oematsu 8o do Final Fantasy (fez a banda sonora integral do FF1 ao FFXI, e agora não faz mais FF's só a musica principal de cada jogo) também fez a banda sonora de Chrono Trigger e Chrono Cross... Bem... se a Nintendo consegue meter este a trabalhar com o Koji Kondo (compositor de Mario e Zelda) unidos num jogo... o universo rebenta no que toca a "banda sonora" num jogo...

bom aqui ficam o artwork do SSBB:

RVL_SMB_Snake_00.jpg

RVL_SMB_SZerosuit_00.jpg

supersmashbrosbrawl20060510074.jpg

RVL_SMB_Metaknight_00.jpg

Última edição:
Segundo relatos vindos directamente de Los Angeles, a Wii está a apelar à maioria dos visitantes na E3 2006.

O tempo que se tem de esperar para se pôr as mãos numa Wii nesta E3 é, em estimativa, de 6 horas.
6 Horas numa imensa fila para se poder jogar um dos 27 jogos da Wii por 15 minutos!
Até agora muitos dos visitantes das E3 referem a Wii como o ponto alto da E3 mas que o unico problema são mesmo as filas...
É de notar que enquanto as filas para a Wii são de 4 horas de espera, as da concorrência (PS3 e XBOX360) são de apenas 5 minutos ou menos. A Nintendo conseguiu assim apelar às massas e cativou a curiosidade dos milhares de visitantes que anualmente se deslocam a Los Angeles para poderem jogar em ante-mão os jogos em desenvolvimento e as respectivas consolas. Cá esperamos para ver se o impacto no mercado mundial será o mesmo...

Fonte

Talvez nas ***** de cá também assim seja :-D

Ridley disse:

AHAH

Lá está, é a nintendo em acção.

Os cromitos dos jogos vêm especificações de cpu's e gráficas, vêm os powerpoints da ps3 e vão se babar para cima de números.

Depois as consolas saem.

Depois aquela caganita que tinha um processador fraquinho single-core, uma gráfica sem funções xpto e sem o símbolo da agheia(e agora ainda por cima sem um comando convencional e um nome de linhagem)... Parte a loiça toda para não variar.

Back