Finalmente Secure Wireless???

Flyer

Power Member
Industry sources said the IEEE 802.11i specification could be ratified this Thursday, adding a needed layer of security to the Wi-Fi standard.

Sources said the draft specification is on the agenda to be ratified this week as part of an IEEE-SA standards committee meeting in Piscataway, N.J. One source said that although a vote on the proposed specification is not guaranteed, a decision to end the three-year standards process is likely.

The 802.11i standard would add a needed layer of security to Wi-Fi, which has become widespread both in the consumer and corporate spaces. Early attempts at security, such as WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy), provided some basic security but were derided as too easy to crack.

A superior form of encryption, dubbed WPA (Wi-Fi Protected Access), has basically replaced WEP, although it still doesn't meet the stringent standards needed for the transmission of sensitive government data.

802.11i's encryption protocols are based on the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES).

The IEEE began decided in May 2001 to split the quality-of-service and security enhancements to the IEEE 802.11 MAC standard into specific working groups. Since then, the members have gone through a lengthy process of hammering out a spec, submitting comments which are then considered by the working group at large.

IEEE members met most recently in Southern California, according to Paul Lambert of AirGo Networks, to discuss comments on draft specification 10.0. But only two were received, and both were rejected. The task force must decide this week whether the remaining negative comments on the draft specification are worthy of consideration and, if so, whether they necessitate an additional revision.

If the specification is approved, most manufacturers will be able to push out firmware upgrades in a matter of weeks, if not sooner, via firmware upgrades. Actual 802.11i hardware-based support will probably be baked into the next revision of chips, the sources said.

from www.eweek.com

Flyer disse:
Industry sources said the IEEE 802.11i specification could be ratified this Thursday, adding a needed layer of security to the Wi-Fi standard.

The 802.11i standard would add a needed layer of security to Wi-Fi, which has become widespread both in the consumer and corporate spaces. Early attempts at security, such as WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy), provided some basic security but were derided as too easy to crack.

A superior form of encryption, dubbed WPA (Wi-Fi Protected Access), has basically replaced WEP, although it still doesn't meet the stringent standards needed for the transmission of sensitive government data.

O WPA está em uso há pelo menos 2 anos...

Já agora, o facto que que o WEP é inseguro é no mínimo perfeitamente discutível, mas como essa onda ganhou muito "momento" deu nisto...

kazuza disse:
Visto que o airsnort precisa de "capturar" 5 a 10 milhões de packets, e o TKIP muda a key de 10k em 10k ...

Atrás de uma NAT box podes apanhar os pacotes que quiseres que não fazes nada com eles.

Prefiro que apanhem tudo, mas encriptado... :D

Realmente, a mania da perseguição ao wireless não tem parado...

Para o mais comum dos mortais, o hardware que se vendia há um ano (pelo menos da Linksys), já suportava WPA (o WRT54G) e até AES (PCMCIA WPC54G) ...
Alterações wireless por aqui, só quando encontrar o WRT55G no mercado nacional (5GHz), que já saiu até há bastante tempo, mas em Portugal, nem vê-los... :(

Back