FoxConn Refuses Linux Support

APLinhares

OpenSource
Parece que esta empresa não quer de forma alguma suporta (nem tenciona que as suas motherboard corram) sistemas *nix.
Senão vejam o próximo relato
Receiving publicity on SlashDot today is word that Foxconn refuses to support Linux. Foxconn is a large OEM motherboard manufacturer, but according to a thread on the Ubuntu Forums, they refuse to support Linux. There is a bug in one of their DSDT tables for their BIOS that's causing installation issues with Linux. The DSDT for Windows is correct, but Foxconn isn't interested in issuing a (simple) update to fix the Linux support. However, this isn't surprising to us. We've known that Foxconn does not wish to support Linux at all. Going back to 2006, Foxconn has told us at Phoronix that they aren't interested in Linux on their motherboards and they have no desire to support it. For more on motherboards under Linux, check out our motherboard reviews.

Lamentável.
Ainda por cima criam esquemas para enganar o sistema, induzindo 1 ACPI errado propositadamente...

Acho piada a resposta deles ao gajo do ForumUbuntu que descobriu isso. foi algo do genero " A e tal nunca dissemos que isso funcionava com linux, nunca testamos com tal, logo not our problem"

inacio, estes senhores da foxconn fabricam componentes para mts outros fabricantes como asus ou abit por exemplo mas nada de importante pq são apenas componentes basicos como plasticos de protecçao para cpus, conectores serial etc...

Fazem também bastantes componentes tipo sockets, ligações VGA e DVI, coolers, etc. Se repararem nas vossas motherboards e placas gráficas (mesmo de outras marcas) é muito natural que tenham alguma peça com o nome da Foxconn.

É lamentável. Mas parece que aprenderam (apesar de não se livrarem da fama):
Update: I just got off the phone with Foxconn, they called me from China (1 AM in Indiana, heh) and were asking if I would test an improved version of their BIOS based partially on the modifications I've made to mine, hopefully this all blows over, and regardless of who's fault it is or isn't, we can just go back to using our computers with full functionality.

Thanks to the community for helping me get the message to Foxconn.
@ Ubuntu Forums

Muito interessante esta parte

"I've been debugging your AMI BIOS, and the ACPI support on it is far from within compliance with the standards, I've dumped out the debugging data into Canonical's Launchpad bug tracking system so that we may be able to support some sort of a workaround for the bad ACPI tables in your BIOS, I would hope that you will be part of the solution instead of the problem, alienating customers and telling them to go buy a copy of Windows Vista is not service, your product claims to be ACPI compliant and is not, therefore you are falsely advertising it with features it isn't capable of."

faz-me lembrar algo, "Dear diary, JACKPOT" eheheheh

É totalmente ridículo, mas antes tarde que nunca... Enfim, esse tipo de decisões acabam eventualmente por cair. Um bom estudo do mercado e alguma sensibilidade comercial levariam ao não-acontecimento deste tipo de coisas.

Interessante ver o poder que o Ubuntu tem... Pergunto-me se isto tivesse sido "publicitado" nos foruns do Arch, Slackware, Gentoo, etc, se teriamos uma reposta tão rápida e eficaz.

Uso Arch e estou muitissimo satisfeito, mas é nestas coisas que Ubuntu é realmente importante. Dà uma força enorme à comunidade linux.

Back