PC Ghost of a Tale (SeithCG)

Alexrd

Moderador
Staff
Poster-FInal_smaller2.jpg

You are Tilo, a courageous minstrel Mouse on a perilous quest to find his true love. Use stealth and cunning as you explore Dwindling Heights Keep—from its tallest towers to its deepest dungeons, evading its dangers and discovering its most ancient secrets.

Sítio Oficial

GOG.com

Imagens:

10.jpg

46.jpg

Screen-Shot-02-15-18-at-10.34-AM-001.jpg

ScreenShot-2015_04_06-163222001GK.jpg

63.jpg

2n1ckrd.png

Ghost of a Tale is a third-person adventure game, set in a medieval world that is inhabited by only animals. The story follows the the quest of a "courageous minstrel mouse" named Tilo, who is searching for his lost family. The game combines elements of classic adventure and exploration games with "highly immersive visuals."

While playing as Tilo, the player will have to take a more stealthy approach to their surroundings. Tilo is a tiny mouse, afterall, so fighting your enemies head-on is not a great strategy. Sneaking around will allow the player to traverse the world unnoticed, but if you are found, then you must find somewhere to hide and wait for your enemies to leave. Sneaking also allows players to be more aware of their surroundings such as enemy footsteps becoming more audible, and chest, barrels, and other items becoming more visible.

The game will have several puzzles that you'll need to solve to progress on your way. If you look closely enough, Tilo will display certain body language to key that useful items are nearby. Some of these items may include different outfits to wear in order to disguise yourself to pass through a certain area. If all else fails, using sharp bursts of speed from Tilo's agility will help you evade pursuers. Luring them into traps is a handy trick as well.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

http://www.ghostofatale.com/

6C49w1H.png

"Welcome to a new game development update! This will be a lengthy one, so please bear with me. In order to make your reading more palatable I’ve interspersed a couple of screenshots for your viewing pleasure…
icon_smile.gif

The last couple of weeks have been particularly productive. Paul and I met to lock everything in terms of quests, story and structure. The result is an even clearer understanding of the game’s scope.

Regarding that topic, it is interesting to note how much the game has evolved since the Indiegogo campaign. At the time I only had a very rough idea of what I wanted the game to be, but many important elements were still up in the air.

For example I thought the game would take place on Periclave, this huge island you would roam around, fighting enemies and… well that was about it really. There was no sneaking involved, no interaction with the environments, no detailed story for the world and its characters, no real AI no speak of, etc…

So I decided (about a year ago) the game actually wouldn’t take place on Periclave at all but rather happen on the mainland, in and around an ancient keep called Dwindling Heights. And you would get a chance to know who Tilo is before he embarks for Periclave. So to anyone wondering why the game doesn’t take place on Periclave, here are a couple of reasons.

First, the story turned out so nice that it simply felt like wasting it by starting the game on Periclave, with no proper introduction to the world whatsoever. Plus I wasn’t sure I could do justice to my ambitious designs for the island. Which brings me to the next point.

Over-ambition will kill even the best of projects and I want the game to be released this year, not linger into the realms of vaporware and pretty screenshots. Biting more than I could chew was a real danger.

But the main reason is this: I want to maintain a very high level of quality throughout the project. From story to coding to visuals. And that means focusing on a smaller (relatively speaking) track of land and making sure everything works there.

Then if the game is successful (which I VERY much hope!), it will be my immense joy to expend the scope in the next game and to do justice to the intricate world of Ghost of a Tale.

But enough rambling. Suffice it to say that despite the huge workload I am indeed very happy with the way the game is turning out. Alright, and now for something completely different!

I was lucky enough to be interviewed by Canal Plus not long ago to talk about the game and I thought French-speaking visitors might be interested in watching the show online here: http://www.canalplus.fr/c-infos-documentaires/pid1829-c-le-journal-des-jeux-video.html?vid=1212596

It was a fun virtual experience; by that I mean on the picture you can see Fred (the show host) on the left and Fabien (from PastaGames) on the right, but if you look closely on the right hand side I’m visible on a tiny screen. I was remotely controlling a Segway equipped with a webcam from the other side of the country, if you can believe it!

In the footage that was shown you can get a glimpse of the new in-game water interaction (among other things). Here’s a fun little video of Tilo wading through murky waters; I had to develop the shader to get exactly that look. It took me two days, but I feel it was worth it. I like how foam breaks in Tilo’s wake. Of course it looks better when not shot from my handheld phone!

Finally, I’m proud to announce we have a first build of the game running on an actual Xbox One, thanks to Cyrille!

This is great news because the building process itself is fairly smooth and I’m told no computer was hurt in the making of it. And even though the Xbox One version is not the main priority (finishing the game on PC is!) it’s still nice to know Ghost of a Tale can run on the console even though no specific optimization has taken place yet. So big kudos to Cyrille!"

Isto vem deste update.

@stinkytick Tens aqui mais um. :cool:

(Alguém me quer oferecer uma One para eu jogar estas pequenas pérolas? Não? :wscared:)

Lembrei-me hoje quem tinha lido o post numa aula e tinha ficado de ver o vídeo e acabei por me esquecer.

Que aspecto incrível! So houve uma coisa que me deixou um bocado de pé atrás no trailer mas pode muito bem ter sido por ter entrado à espera de outra coisa. A banda sonora. Pelo aspecto dos screencaps esperava uma coisa mais leve no espírito do bardo que o Tilo aparenta ser, mas também estou a julgar baseado num trailer de um minuto.

Fora isso, e depois de ter visto o tópico do Beyond Eyes, cada vez mais me convenço que os Indies (ao contrários do que muita gente diz) são a melhor coisa que a indústria tem neste momento. Esta vontade de trazer conceitos novos e de arriscar (que nos grandes estúdios só se traduz no que a Media Molecule faz) tem dado coisas tão boas (e muitas que ainda não joguei), como o Child of Light, Valiant Hearts, Never Alone, Brothers, Guacamelee, Ori, Max, ou seja, todo este catálogo sem fim que as pessoas acabam por dizer "Oh *****, outro indie a ser oferecido, sem terem bem noção da pérola que estão a passar ao lado"

______
Edit: Curiosamente reparei agora que dentro dos jogos que arriscam e são criativos acabei por falar dos mais banais, mas também é compreensível já que projectos como o "That Dragon, Cancer" ou "Papers Please" arriscam ainda mais, mas pegam em temas tão pesados e controversos que aí já se compreende que não se tornem tão apelativos.

Última edição:
Adorava que o Papers Please saisse na xbox. Sei que não é jogo para uma consola mas pronto. Os jogos indie, de indie têm pouco x). Eu neste momento os jogos que mais anseio é o hotline miami 2( q n saí na one) e o Ori and the blind forest.

"Hello everyone! I’m still hard at work on the game’s environments and things are moving forward smoothly, although it’s quite intense; balancing artistic ambitions with gameplay layout and technical feasibility…

While I was going through my stash of screenshots I found some old ones (well they’re from last year) and it was quite the eye-opener to see how far the project has come.

Here’s an example with the keep’s courtyard you get to explore when you escape the jail (I hope I don’t need to tell you which one’s the new screenshot
icon_smile.gif
):

Of course on those screenshots the camera angle is not quite the same but still it’s close enough to measure the overall progress.

I have a feeling the contrast provided between dark environments and sun-drenched ones is going to be pretty effective. I’ve been experimenting with so-called “God Rays” (rays of light catching particles in suspension in the air) and I think I’m getting close.

It’s really neat walking through patches of light this way; it certain adds a dramatic flair to some locations. When in motion you can even see fine particles of dust moving across.

After I’m done with the current task of doing a first pass on most of the environments it will be time to test streaming solutions to load locations as needed. This is something that’s a bit scary because it needs to work perfectly in order to avoid stuttering framerates and maintain a smooth experience.

I’m also looking forward to tweaking and improving the animations; Unity 5.0 brings a lot of new features for refined control over animation states.

On a different topic Paul and I recently talked a lot about gameplay interactions based on Tilo’s lute. It’s not implemented yet but we’re both very happy with the direction it’s taken. I’ll probably go more into details about that in a future update.

Anyway, back to work now!
icon_razz.gif
"

Lembrei-me hoje quem tinha lido o post numa aula e tinha ficado de ver o vídeo e acabei por me esquecer.

Que aspecto incrível! So houve uma coisa que me deixou um bocado de pé atrás no trailer mas pode muito bem ter sido por ter entrado à espera de outra coisa. A banda sonora. Pelo aspecto dos screencaps esperava uma coisa mais leve no espírito do bardo que o Tilo aparenta ser, mas também estou a julgar baseado num trailer de um minuto.

Fora isso, e depois de ter visto o tópico do Beyond Eyes, cada vez mais me convenço que os Indies (ao contrários do que muita gente diz) são a melhor coisa que a indústria tem neste momento. Esta vontade de trazer conceitos novos e de arriscar (que nos grandes estúdios só se traduz no que a Media Molecule faz) tem dado coisas tão boas (e muitas que ainda não joguei), como o Child of Light, Valiant Hearts, Never Alone, Brothers, Guacamelee, Ori, Max, ou seja, todo este catálogo sem fim que as pessoas acabam por dizer "Oh *******, outro indie a ser oferecido, sem terem bem noção da pérola que estão a passar ao lado"

______
Edit: Curiosamente reparei agora que dentro dos jogos que arriscam e são criativos acabei por falar dos mais banais, mas também é compreensível já que projectos como o "That Dragon, Cancer" ou "Papers Please" arriscam ainda mais, mas pegam em temas tão pesados e controversos que aí já se compreende que não se tornem tão apelativos.

Não se vem para o fórum durante as aulas. :P

Isso que falas da banda sonora já foi referido em alguns sítios algumas vezes. A atmosfera do jogo, o próprio ambiente à volta da personagem às vezes fazem lembrar um pouco Dark Souls. No entanto os senhores que o estão a fazer já confirmaram que não estão a seguir essa direcção, mas que no entanto querem fazer com que se sinta que o Tilo é realmente pequeno, e pequeno num mundo de gigantes e de perigos sérios.

Cada um sabe de si mas eu prefiro dar os 20 ou 30€ que estes "indies" pedem e ter um jogo excelente que me dão durante uma semana uma aventura/experiência que eu realmente aprecio e vou recordar que 60/70€ por algo formulaico e genérico.

Do "outro lado" houve dois jogos destes na geração passada que arriscaram, que foram originais e na minha opinião absolutamente irrepreensíveis. Infelizmente só um deles teve o reconhecimento que devia. E já esse teve sorte porque os visuais ajudaram a cativar atenções num período em que toda a gente ignorava este tipo de jogos. Já do "nosso lado" tivemos mais sorte e fomos reconhecendo este tipo de jogos e o seu mérito mais frequentemente.

"Welcome to this new development update! While working on the environments I have recently finished converting the shaders to proper physically-based ones, thanks to Shader Forge’s newest release (thank you Joachim!) which supports the latest Unity 5 features in relation to lighting.

Here is a screenshot showing the result; Tilo seems positively fascinated with the fire…
icon_smile.gif

A nice side-effect of this shader update is that the framerate is now super-smooth on my machine. The main phase of optimization for the game will only come later in the development cycle but to be able to run around in those environments in such a smooth way is soooo nice.

Here’s Tilo exploring one of Dwindling Height’s collapsed towers. It is safe to say the keep has seen better days. Indeed many years ago Dwindling Heights sustained a large attack by the Ferrets of Saltar and it’s been falling in a state of disrepair ever since…

On a different topic, sometimes I get asked “How can I support Ghost of a Tale”? And here’s the short answer: for now, the best way to support the game is to talk about it to your friends. On Facebook. On Twitter. Spread the word. Awareness is going to be the most important thing when the release date nears.

Currently, the plan is to begin letting people financially support the game within a couple of months. In return you will be able to download and play the beginning of the game (on PC). Of course, if you were an Indiegogo campaign backer you will access all this (and the final game) at no additional cost.

This early access period will help in catching bugs that would have eluded QA and also of course start to provide some much-needed revenues. The final price for Ghost of a Tale is not yet set, but will be announced later on.

The release date of the game (on PC) is planned towards the end of autumn (hopefully with the Xbox One version not too long after that). As soon as I have more elements I will post a definitive release date.

That’s it for now. Hope you enjoyed the update!
icon_smile.gif
"

Acho excelente este contacto direto com a comunidade e com o pessoal que vai seguindo o jogo. Este modo de comunicação aberta é excelente para se ir estando a par do desenvolvimento do jogo, pelo que, por mim: "kudos to them"!

Quanto ao jogo, acho que já está confirmado o excelente aspeto que tem e a interessante premissa da sua história.

Se tudo correr bem, pelo que li, cá o teremos na One antes do final do ano. Óptimo.

Mais um update (é muito interessante este feedback que permite ver a evolução de um videojogo):

“So far, so good!”

Hello everyone! Here’s a quick development update. Everything’s advancing as smoothly as possible with new and exciting in-game improvements I’m VERY happy about. I’ll talk more about those in upcoming updates but suffice to say the game is really taking shape.
On the technical side Cyrille recently developed a super-simple tool which allows me to concentrate on creating the game’s environments without slowing down my workflow. It’s basically something that lets me import/export locations from the game with a single click. And it’s awesome!
Especially because, as you know, Dwindling Heights (and everything around it) makes for a rather large environment with secrets passages and both open-air and subterranean areas. This way I can concentrate on specific locations while not being slowed down by having to display the entirety of the game’s environments at once.

If any French-speaking reader is interested, there’s currently a very nice double-page about Ghost Of a Tale published in “Jeux Video Magazine” (issue #172). The pages appear just after an article about “The Witcher 3″, which is always nice (if only slightly intimidating)…
icon_razz.gif

jvm.jpg

Finally I’ve started implementing better vegetation in the game. It will improve before the release of course but I thought you guys might get a kick out of knowing that a lot of it comes from the faraway lands of… my backyard. Here’s a picture detailing the process, starting with taking a photograph, then applying it to a model in Maya.
Note the model itself remains very simple since the sheer number is going to convey a feeling of fullness. And finally the look in-game. By the way the most observant amongst you may notice that the area around the well can also be seen on the magazine screenshot and it has really improved since the screenshot was taken!
http://www.ghostofatale.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/grass_makingof_small.jpg
grass_makingof_small.jpg

I hope you enjoyed this update! As always, don’t hesitate to leave your questions (and/or encouragements) in the comments below, they are much appreciated! I’ll go back to work now…

fonte: http://www.ghostofatale.com/so-far-so-good/

"Ghost of a Tale is often called a one-man game. While in a sense this could be considered as true (as in “if I didn’t work on this game it would never exist”), I wanted to give a detailed breakdown of who directly participates in the creation of Ghost of a Tale.

Please forgive me for starting with myself but let’s get it out of the way quickly: I create all of the game’s visuals on my own. That includes all the art, characters, models, rigging, animations, lighting, textures, environments, etc…

I’m also responsible for about 95% of the game’s code (including AI behaviors, mechanics, interface, controls, etc…). In other words, if something breaks down or looks ugly, I’m to blame for that!
icon_smile.gif

But all this would be rather lonely and daunting if I didn’t get any help. Luckily I do!

Starting with Paul Gardner, who is the writer for the game. He puts up valiantly with all my nagging regarding finding specific “voices” for the characters. But Paul’s role is not “just” writing for the game; he’s also a professional game designer (having worked on quite a few titles at Namco and Traveler’s Tale).

So we talk a lot about ideas, back and forth several times a week. Our discussions range from game mechanics to dialogs to back-story to level design. And I never move forward if he disagrees strongly with something. If Ghost of a Tale is anywhere near what it is today it’s thanks to Paul’s steadfast collaboration.

On the technical side I have the considerable benefit of receiving help and support from Cyrille Paulhiac who is an experienced coder. As I mentioned previously Cyrille has created a couple of amazing tools that allow me to concentrate on creating the game itself rather than dealing with technical tediousness. His work often remains “behind the curtain” but is nonetheless very cool.

As a concrete example during the weeks leading up to Gamescom last year I had to manually model all the tessellated environment colliders (using Maya) for the demo. Which was a thankless, time-consuming job. Since then, Cyrille has coded a tool which creates those colliders in seconds with just one click, directly within Unity!

Last but not least I want to talk about the very talented Jeremiah Pena. He’s the composer for the game’s soundtrack and his work gives its auditory identity to Ghost of a Tale. There again I feel very lucky indeed to have been contacted by him just before the Indiegogo campaign went live.

From the get go I used one of his existing compositions to edit the very first alpha trailer. I had even thought of leaving it in, but Jeremiah was confident he could come up with something much more fitting to the game’s mood. And what he did blew me away, obviously. That’s when I knew I could entrust the entire game’s soundtrack to him.

Needless to say I am extremely grateful for Paul, Cyrille and Jeremiah’s continuous involvement with the project.

Of course there are many people who at one time or another generously lent their help (and sometimes still do) to the game, but I hope next time I mention Paul, Cyrille or Jeremiah you guys have a better idea about their respective roles.

Talk to you all next time!
icon_smile.gif
"

"Hello all, welcome to this new update! Lately I’ve been hard at work on the UI side of the game. Which comprises the inventory, the 2D interactions with the world, textual feedback, etc…

For example in this animated picture you can see Tilo looting the contents of a chest. As a player you can choose which item you want to take or you can take everything in one go.

You’ll also notice that the chest remains slightly ajar when Tilo’s done, which is a visual indication (useful at a distance) that this container has been emptied. This way if you don’t remember you looted the chest you don’t need to come and check again. The mention “(empty)” is also added so there’s no confusion as to why you can’t access the contents anymore.

And here is the way Tilo can switch his currently equipped item on the fly. Note that you can also equip items from within the inventory of course but this is a much more direct way to do so.

I have also finalized the quest system! I’ve looked long and hard at using an existing Unity quest manager asset but I finally opted for writing one from scratch (which took me a couple of days). This way I’m sure it’s an exact fit for the game.

The inventory itself is not 100% finalized yet (there are still some data to fit in there) but it’s really exciting to see all of it coming together. It looks and feels like a proper game and as a result Tilo is more of an actor and less of a witness now.

Finally, on a totally different topic I feel the need to address the fact that the game is going to be one year late of what I thought when I did the Indiegogo campaign (it’s been 2 years to the month since the campaign ended).

As you all know it has been a learning process for me but I assure you I do work very hard each and every day (the concept of week-end seems like a nice memory). Thankfully all of you are supportive and follow closely the game’s development. And I just want to express my gratitude for this rather mature behavior. It is rare enough on the internet to be appreciated as such!

E o senhor partilha o desenvolvimento disto quase todos os dias. É muito interessante acompanhar tão "de perto" o desenvolvimento do jogo.

(Também manda umas bocas jeitosas de vez em quando. A semana passada foi à CD Project Red, e com razão.)

Back