gNewSense

APLinhares

OpenSource
The fans of free software, as defined by Richard Stallman's Free Software Foundation (FSF), had a chance to rejoice late last week as the gNewSense project announced an updated release of its Ubuntu-based, 100% free Linux distribution (see the "Released Last Week" section below). Interestingly, the release was announced as the project celebrated its second anniversary since the first beta build had hit the download mirrors in August 2006. Brian Brazil, the project's founder and lead developer: "I've just realised that tomorrow will mark the 2-year anniversary of our first release. Accordingly, it's somewhat appropriate that our 10th live CD is released today. It's strange to think that it's well over 2 years since Paul and I started gNewSense. While I remain the main developer, many other people have contributed code, and many many more time and effort, to ensure that this distribution stays free and usable. We were the first to remove all non-free blobs from the kernel and also the first to remove GLX. Through all this work we have produced what is, to the best of my knowledge, the freest GNU/Linux distribution in existence. I'd like to thank everyone for their help and support thus far, and look forward to the future of gNewSense."

gNewSense 2.1 - the freest Linux distribution of them all
(full image size: 302kB, screen resolution: 1280x1024 pixels)
Fonte
Página Oficial

Mais uma versão lançada (nesta distribuição vista como um Ubuntu realmente livre e opensource), também em aspecto festivo.
Features

gNewSense is derived from Ubuntu, and thus has most of the same functionality. There are a number of differences though.

• Non-free firmware removed from kernel in main*
  • Non-free firmware removed from linux-ubuntu-modules**
  • Builder, a tool to produce a distribution
  • Restricted removed
  • Multiverse removed
  • Ubuntu logos replaced
  • Universe enabled by default
  • Emacs, bsdgames, nethack and build-essential part of the default install
Note our goal is to produce a fully free distribution, not to have as many features as possible.

Eu estou. E já agora, para quem quiser, dêem um salto em #gnewsense-pt na FreeNode.

Porquê usar isto em vez do Ubuntu normal? Perdem o que torna o Ubuntu tão bom: repositórios gigantescos e compatibilidade de hardware.

Debian parece-me ser uma melhor opção para quem quem procura um Ubuntu "limpo".

O Ubuntu actualmente não está tão bom em termos de user-friendlyness como há uns tempos, pecando um pouco em termos de estabilidade.. Sinceramente, hoje em dia penso que a melhor distribuição nesse aspecto é mesmo OpenSuse.

Se esta nova distribuição for um Ubuntu mais estável e optimizada, é bem vinda.

O gNewSense existe porque é uma das únicas distribuições mais livres que existe, remove todas as blobs não-livres do kernel,remove todo o software proprietário indo por um caminho mais livre que possa haver, é por isso é que é patrocinado pela FSF

Porquê usar isto em vez do Ubuntu normal?

Porque esta distribuição parece ser realmente livre, ao contrário do Ubuntu.

Perdem o que torna o Ubuntu tão bom: repositórios gigantescos e compatibilidade de hardware.

Perdem-se nuns aspectos, ganham-se noutros. Quase tudo o que é gente que usa Ubuntu, instala controladores proprietários, logo, é normal que esta distribuição peque um pouco nesse aspecto.
Em relação aos repositórios, não faço ideia de como funcionam aqui.

Debian parece-me ser uma melhor opção para quem quem procura um Ubuntu "limpo".

Sim, Debian é uma boa distribuição.
No entanto, o pessoal que usa gNewSense não quer um "Ubuntu limpo", mas sim um "Ubuntu livre".

Atenção que não estou a dizer que esta distribuição é melhor que qualquer outra, até porque só a usei uma vez e foi numa VM.

Back