Great Programmers Answer Questions From Aspiring Student

Sadino

I'm cool cuz I Fold
Great Programmers Answer Questions From Aspiring Student

Posted by ScuttleMonkey on Tuesday October 10, @07:36AM
from the inquiring-minds-wanna-know dept.
Programming

NathanBFH writes "Many of the questions that make it to the Ask Slashdot pages come from young and aspiring programmers wanting to know the role math and education play in the profession, or what makes certain programmers so much more productive than others, or what the future of the craft will look like. One young programmer by the name of Jarosaw "sztywny" Rzeszótko decided to ask these types of questions (and more) to the programmers he admired the most who also, it turns out, happen to be some of the most influential computer scientists and programmers of the last several decades. The result? Most of them happily responded. The results include the following: Linus Torvalds (Linux), Bjarne Stroustrup (C++), James Gosling (Java), Tim Bray (XML, Atom), Guido Van Rossum (Python), Dave Thomas (Pragmatic Programmer), David Heinemeier Hansson (Rails Framework), and Googlers Steve Yegge and Peter Norvig."

Artigo principal:

Stiff asks, great programmers answer

niedziela, 23 lipiec 2006, w kategoriach: Programowanie, Linux, Ruby, Emacs, Rails

At some hot, boring afternoon I got an _Idea_. With the help of public accessible e-mail adresses I asked 10 questions to a bunch of programmers that I consider very interesting people and I respect them for variuos things they created. Coming out with question was a 5 minute job for me - these are things I would ask about if I could speak with them personally for, let’s say, 10 minutes, and I didn’t have time for thinking too much. The last two question don’t have anything to do with programming, this is simply something I like to know about everyone I talk to, lets say that’s my hobby. Not everyone wanted to answer them, and that’s fine. It was the first „interview” I ever made, so I also made some mistakes, which went out as people started answering… But despite of this, I learnt a lot of interesting stuff, so it was definetly a valuable experience.

Not everyone responded to my e-mail, not everyone agreed to answer the questions, maybe I will also get some answers after I published this, I didn’t have the patience to wait longer, so new things may appear here over time (Update: Bjarne Stroustrup was added on 03.08.2006).

Finally, here we go:

Starring:

Linus Torvalds - The Linux kernel author

Dave Thomas - Author of the „Pragmmatic Programmer”, „Programming Ruby” and other great books about programming. One can read his mainly programming-related thoughts here.

David Heinemeier Hansson - Author of the Rails Framework - the new hot web development framework. He has a weblog here.

Steve Yegge - Proably the least known from guys here, but also made one of the most interestings answers, has a popular weblog about programming. He is also the author of a game called „Wyvern”.

Peter Norvig - Research Director at Google, a well known Lisper, author of famous (in some circles at least) books about AI. See his homepage.

Guido Van Rossum - The Python language creator

Bjarne Stroustrup - C++ creator, has a homepage here

James Gosling - The Java language creator

Tim Bray - One of the XML and Atom specifications author and a blogger too.

And here comes the main content:

(...)

Achei muito interessante (li apenas a introdução que coloquei aqui :o) colocar isto aqui para quem está a iniciar, e mesmo para quem já anda nesta vida :)

Isto vai ser um pseudo-desenterro, acabei de ver este artigo e vinha já cá postar :P

Acho que vale mesmo a pena fazer um bump a esta thread pelo seu conteúdo, grande artigo e grandes respostas!

Pelo perfácio do artigo fiquei mesmo com a ideia de ter sido uma brincadeira que correu bem :)

abraços, HecKel

De facto é uma pena, é um grande artigo!

Se alguém ainda o tiver na cache que coloque aqui, sff! Ainda não tinha acabado de o ler :(

abraços, HecKel

Porque o Bill Gates não é nem nunca foi um programador.

Ele foi e é um empresário e um individuo de marketing.
Olha que não é bem assim :) ele não é, mas FOI programador ;)
Depois arranjou uma equipa e programavam todos.... e depois programavam todos menos ele. No entanto, ele continua a poder ser considerado um programador :) não no activo, mas ainda o é ;)

Agora é um empresário. É natural, já que tem o insucesso que tem :)

A minha indirecta era do género... "Great Programmers"... o Bill Gates, programador, não poderia estar nesta lista :P

Cumps [[[[[[[[]]]]]]]]
angelofwisdom

Gostei muito do artigo :)

Destaco esta resposta à pergunta - What do you think is the most important skill every programmer should posses?

Linus Torvalds disse:
It’s a thing I call “taste”.

I tend to judge the people I work with not by how proficient they are: some people can churn out a _lot_ of code, but more by how they react to other peoples code, and then obviously by what their own code _looks_ like, and what approaches they chose. That tells me whether they have “good taste” or not, and the thing is, a person without “good taste” often is not very good at judging other peoples code, but his own code often ends up not being wonderfully good.

But hey, it’s not the only thing. One thing that is very useful, especially in an open source project, is simply the ability to communicate well what you want to do, and how you are going to do it. The ability to explain to others _why_ you do something a certain way is very important, and not everybody has that ability.

That said, in the end there are also the people who just churn out good code. They may not be good at explaining it, and they may not even have great taste, but the code works well. Sometimes you need another person (one that _does_ have that hard-to-define “taste”) to maybe massage the code into a form where it’s useful in the bigger picture, but just the ability to write clear code for difficult problems is obviously a fairly fundamnetal part of any programmer.

Palavras sabias :)

Back