Help: IPv6 e o stress do forwarding

fap

Power Member
Bom, peço desculpa por a mensagem seguinte estar em inglês mas tive a escrever esse mail para uma mailing list de IPv6 e estou bastante cansado para passar para português...peço a quem tiver conhecimentos de redes IPv6 e linux que leia que pode ser que tenha alguma ideia...

btw, o inglês pode não estar famoso mas não escrevo textos em inglês há bastante tempo :P

Hello all!
I'm developing a micro-mobility protocol in an IPv6 network for my final degree project but I'm having some problems using IPv6.

Imagine the following, simple, situation:
I'm connecting only two machines, a gateway and a pc that will work as an access point using hostap. I have assigned global IPv6 addresses (2000::etc/3) to simplify things (the protocol v4 is using global ipv4 for the machines) and my network is an island isolated from the internet.

I've configured the routes to be point-to-point from the GW to the AP and vice-versa.
When I try to ping the AP from the GW, the src addr of the packets transmited from the GW is the global IPv6 addr that I've assigned to the GW (so far so good), but when I try to ping the GW from the AP, the src addr of the packets transmited from the AP is the link local IPv6 addr autoconfigured by the AP... why is that? shouldn't the src addr be the global addr ? they behave differently, the GW and the AP...in both situations, the src addr should be OR the link local, or the global addr, but the should be the same type of addr in both situation.

The second problem is when I turn on ipv6 forwarding using the echo 1 > /proc/.../ipv6/conf/all/forwarding.
When I do this, if I ping the AP from the GW, besides the neighbour discover messages, the echo request gets to the AP but the AP never answers with an echo reply..
If I try to ping the GW from the AP I get the message "connect: network is unreachable"

It sounds weird that turning on ipv6 forwarding "destroys" the *simple* ping point-to-point between AP and GW...

If somebody could help with this two issues I would be very gratefull :)
I'm using debian with a 2.6.8 kernel.
Thanks,

Back