IBM markets Linux to Africa

APLinhares

OpenSource
Um artigo que tem suscitado discussões.
IBM markets Linux to Africa. Why not the U.S?

tuxsmall.jpg
From the 'Year of the Linux Desktop' files:

IBM today announced a continuation of a deal with Linux vendor Ubuntu that will see Linux netbook software and solutions sold in Africa.

The way I see it, this is just the delivery portion of something IBM has been talking about since at least August of 2008. At that time, IBM announced its 'Microsoft-Free' PC effort. The basic idea is to have an Linux OS, with IBM smart client applications called Open Collaboration Client Solution software (OCCS)(Lotus Symphony and Notes) for enterprise apps.

Today's announcement looks remarkably similar to what IBM and Canonical announced nine months ago. Last December, IBM and Canonical (the lead sponsor behind the Ubuntu project) announced a virtual desktop solution (today it's called the 'cloud').

The new news is that IBM is now calling the solution 'The IBM Client for Smart Work' and are marketing the solution across Africa. There are on-premise components as well as cloud (virtual) components. Again, to my eye this is all stuff that IBM and Canonical have already announced. The difference here is about the target market and availability.

In my view, the speed with which the IBM 'Microsoft-Free PC' is coming to market is very questionable. Does it really take more than a year to put together a solution from components that already exist in the market?

Why Africa and not the U.S?

Ubuntu Founder Mark Shuttleworth hints that Africa is really just the beginning.
"Starting with Africa, we see that this smart client package can help realize our vision of eliminating barriers to computer access for emerging markets," Shuttleworth said in a statement "Our IBM partnership brings together the strengths of collaboration to help our customers work smarter using this new approach."
Personally I think both IBM and Canonical are moving far too slow and aren't thinking big enough. While I understand that it can take time to develop marketing and support services, the partners have had more than a year to put this together.

While I understand that Africa might be an easier entry point for the Linux notebook, the global recession is affecting every nation. The need for low cost, standards based solutions that IBM and Ubuntu are proposing for Africa is needed in every corner of the world.

I would expect that both IBM and Canonical know this fact far better than I do.

Just the other day, IBM's top Linux exec Bob Sutor commented that the goal for the Linux desktop shouldn't be word domination, but rather in picking the right spots. That's what IBM is doing here, they're doing market segmentation for a location and a need where they see victory for the Linux desktop.
Fonte
Por um lado percebe-se, pela pirataria e consequente dependência (elevada) em produtos de uma certa empresa...

Back