Largura de banda da memória e o Athlon 64

Zealot

I quit My Job for Folding
In a few weeks Intel is going to announce Canterwood, a chipset with a 800 MHz (200 Mhz Quad) FSB and Dual Channel DDR400 support. According to the official roadmaps, the Athlon 64 would have access to only one DDR333 channel. So we asked Damon Munzy (AMD) if Intel's recent push towards Dual Channel DDR400 would (not) influence AMD's Athlon 64 plans.

"The Current plan for Athlon 64 is to introduce it with a single-channel 64-bit wide memory bus to support current speeds of DDR memory. We will support DDRII as it becomes readily available in the market."
So the Athlon 64 is still planned as single channel, but we have reason to believe that it will use DDR400 as DDR400 will be ubiquitous next September. This would mean that the Athlon 64 has access to 3.2 GB/s while top Pentium 4's have 6.4 GB/s to their disposal.

However, the Athlon 64 has also a separate HyperTransport link to the AGP tunnel. As far as I know, this would mean that fast writes which transport geometry data from the CPU to the AGP card would use this channel while the memory channel bandwidth is available for other tasks. So in case of fast writes, because the interface to the AGP bridge is separate from the memory interface, the overall data transfer achieved by the machine may be greater than the bandwidth of its memory interface alone. So the Athlon 64 has (a little?) more bandwidth than the 3.2 GB/s (or 2.7 GB/s in case of DDR333) memory interface indicates. Comments welcome :).

AMD also told us that they "are evaluating the possibility of moving Athlon XP to a 400FSB".

Fonte: http://www.aceshardware.com/#65000399

Será que a AMD está com tão pouco dinheiro em caixa que não aguenta os custos de R&D para meter o Athlon 64 com a memória com Dual-channel? :(

Zealot,

Não é por ai que está o problema ... o Dual DDR nos sistemas actuais nem sequer traz grande vantagem ...

O problema mesmo é que os CPU's não saiem. Atrasar ainda mais o lançamento para fazer uma alteração desse nivel não me pareçe que fizesse sentido.

Originally posted by pnabais
O problema mesmo é que os CPU's não saiem. Atrasar ainda mais o lançamento para fazer uma alteração desse nivel não me pareçe que fizesse sentido.

Tens razão. A mim também não me parece. ;)

Não sei porquê :rolleyes: , mas depois de ver as specs dos novos PIV que ai veem , acho que o Athlon64 só se safa se o cpu for mesmo um milagre

E aposto que vêm a suportar dual channel DDR , porque senão LOL

SKATAN

Specs são specs...

Dual channel num Athlon nem tira muito proveito em minha opinião... aquilo é mais por causa do acesso a memória do Athlon ser menos eficiente do que a de um PIV... ou seja num Athlon aquilo já anda outdated.

Num Athlon64 espera-se que eles façam que o CPU aumente perfomance nesse sentido... ao menos é o que as specs dizem. ;)

Back