Wii Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Mt mal jogado, hoje em dia um FPS sem online... que falha. O jogo pode até ser mt bom, mas toda a gent se farta de jogar contra bots.

Entrevista com a Play:
After playing through the demo version of Metroid Prime 3 Corruption, we had a chance to sit down with the creative staff at Retro Studios to discuss the parts we couldn’t see, the future of the franchise, and the challenge of adapting to Wii demographics.

Play: The demo contained two seemingly self-contained missions. Can you put those into the context of the final game? Is it going to be more mission-based this time around?

Mark Pacini (Game Director):
It won’t be mission-based, although that is a convention that we’re using to help the player understand where they need to go. But what you saw in the demo was actually the very beginning of the game, and a section of the game from way, way later… The core gameplay is similar. Re-traversal is part of a Metroid game, and this game is no different from Prime 1 and Prime 2. But what we’ve done in this game is make it a little more accessible. It’s not as laborious, it’s not as difficult to find out where you need to go, but it’s still very involved in that sort of gameplay.

Michael Kelvaugh (President and CEO of Retro): Re-traversal is a major component of Metroid Prime. That’s something we certainly wouldn’t shy away from.

Play: Well, Hunters had none of that.

MK:
Well, yeah, but if you look at the core design and core mission of that game, it was completely different from the Prime series in general. So that was kind of a departure. It is certainly a major element of Prime 3, and that’s something from Prime 2 that we learned from as it relates to, “you know, maybe it was a little frustrating.” So that’s something we really took a hard look at to make sure that it was a quality experience as opposed to reiteration and re-traversal just for re-traversal’s sake.

Play: Can you tell us a little bit more about the Hypermode? It looks like that was disabled at the point in which you would have had it normally.

MK:
Let me tell you why it’s not in the demo version. It’s a very prevalent feature with a learning curve spread throughout the entirety of the game. It’s not something that we could have just plunked into a level that you could have experienced. It’s prominent, and we want to make sure it’s fully understood…Plus, it’s a really cool feature, and we want to leave something for speculation. That’s why you’re not seeing it today.

Play: So we’re not talking about something simple, like “bullet time” here, I take it.

MK:
It’s a major feature of the game. This is definitely [something] that you haven’t seen before. It’s not another beam, it’s not another suit. It’s something very unique.

Play: Does it evolve throughout the game?

MP:
To some degree, yeah. It’s a management system. It’s not just “push a button, kill things.”

MK: [/B] If you just think about the definition of “corruption”, and apply it to that, you’ll get a fundamental understand as to the future.

Play: Oh, I’m not that deep…

MK:
[Laughs] Well, the whole idea is to get you to move on to another question.

Play: Okay, gotcha! So moving on to the visual side of things, I was wondering if you could talk a bit about how developing for the Wii is different from developing for the GameCube.

MP:
Well, our production pipeline was similar, so it was a lot faster for us to get up and running on the game hardware, which was great. But we were also able to make a great deal of enhancements to the game world. There’s more polygons, higher-res textures, bloom lighting—a lot of graphical enhancements that we were able to make on the Wii that we couldn’t do on the GameCube.

MK: We really looked at the Wii from a philosophy of “wow, look at all the stuff that we can do now,” as opposed to “well, it doesn’t do this, and that’s kind of a bummer.” So for us, we were really able to accomplish a lot more things than we could do on the GameCube. And in my opinon [laughs], it’s the best-looking Wii game out there. I won’t say it was seamless, but it certainly wasn’t like developing on a brand new piece of hardware with a six-month learning curve. The development environment is a cakewalk to work with, and we feel we took advantage of what the hardware has to offer. I’m partial to the bloom lighting, it’s a really nice effect, and we could never have done that on GameCube.

Play: Is there anything you were unable to execute on the GameCube in Prime 1 and 2 that has now become possible?

MP:
Something on the design side that was important to us was being able to make larger environments that have more things going on. We try to tell the story through the way the player travels through the game, and having these larger environments where the player can see farther and see things interacting with each other is something we couldn’t have done on GameCube. Metroid Prime is a traversal sort of game, so the environments have to be very interesting and very different to keep the players interested in walking around. So now we’re able to make these huge, expansive environments and have more things going on on-screen at the same time.

[/B]MK: We were really able to expand on the audio too. We have voice-over in this game, and the score is much more dramatic. So we really put a lot of effort into making the audio a much broader experience.

Play: The ambient soundtrack was one of the more controversial aspects of Metroid Prime 2. This one seems a lot more intense.

MK:
Yeah, this one is kind of like Ben-Hur. It’s very in-your-face dramatic. We explained to [long-time Metroid series composer] Mr. [Kenji] Yamamoto that’s what we wanted to do, and that’s more his style actually, or more his preference. And once he knew that we were on board for that, he was very happy, and as a result, we got just an amazing score.

Play: Were there other aspects of Metroid Prime 2 you weren’t totally happy with?

MK:
Well, we listen to our fans. We’d be crazy not to. And last time we heard two clear things loud and clear: One was that the re-traversal needs to make more sense. The other is the overall difficulty. So the challenge is how do we address that without dumbing down the experience? How do we make it accessible to more people without simply making it easier? And we spent a lot of time making sure that we did that right. When people ask what we did with the extra time, we didn’t add a level or add more bosses. We made sure we revised the experience to make it more accessible without making it easier. It’s hard to do. Making it equally as challenging without making it as difficult… It’s easy to say, but hard to do.

Play: So how do you do that?

MK:
Well, a lot of balance, a lot of polishing. A lot of feedback. It’s not additions or subtractions of particular elements, it’s just fun. Do we continue this battle? Do we make it longer? Do we make it shorter? What is your frustration level? It was a lot of that. A lot of refinements. A LOT of polish. It’s easy to just say “okay, nine hits will kill it now, instead of ten,” but that’s the cheap way.

Play: What would you say to people who are concerned about a hardcore franchise like Metroid Prime being released on a system with a much wider audience? Can you reassure the hardcore gamers that it’s not being dumbed down for grandma?

MP:
It’s definitely not for grandma. But if she wanted to play it, that’s awesome too. We’re trying to reach players that don’t normally play these types of games. First and foremost, we’re here to make a great game for our fans. Beyond that, we wanted to bring over other gamers who might like other types of games, but who might not have given a Metroid game or first-person shooter a chance. We’re not looking to make this game easy as cake for grandma. It’s about knowing our audience, which I think we do, and knowing how much more Metroid can offer to other types of gamers.

Play: You’ve shown a version of Metroid Prime 2 that used this control scheme at the Tokyo Game Show, and Capcom is now re-releasing Resident Evil 4 with Wii controls. Is that something you’ve thought about doing with Metroid Prime 1 and 2?

MK:
You know, that’s not a bad idea. Would you think that would be something of interest to the Metroid audience?

Play: Absolutely. It would be hard to go back to the GameCube versions after getting used to this control scheme.

MK:
Well, that’s something to think about!

Play: So if Corruption is the conclusion of the trilogy, will this be the final game with the “Prime” moniker?

MK:
We knew from the beginning that this would be a three-part trilogy, and this would be the final Prime title. It was nice to know from the outset, in terms of planning the storyline and what have you. This is the end of the Metroid Prime storyline. I’m sure that you’ll see Samus and the Metroid franchise in some form or another. There’s no way Nintendo’s going to write it off and pull a Captain America on Samus. But we’re taking a break from the franchise.

Play: Going back to the start of the franchise, I recall the sense before the original Metroid Prime came out that it was shaping up to be an unmitigated disaster. How did it feel to make a game under those circumstances?

MP:
Well, Prime 1 made good copy. It was a good story. Everyone thought it was going to suck, and thankfully, through a lot of hard work and no sleep, it turned out that people liked it. And that was great. I wouldn’t want to go back to doing something like that again. It was really a very tough development cycle. It’s hard to always be told negative stuff: “why are you guys doing it in first person?” “This is going to be horrible.” “Metroid fans aren’t going to support it.” It was a lot of stuff to fight through. You had to feel confident that the things you were doing were the right decision. We got a lot of support from Nintendo of Japan. It was Mr. Miyamoto’s idea to go into first person so we were committed to seeing that vision through, and we got a lot of great direction and feedback from them. Internally, when we showed it at E3 for the first time, we finally felt validated. When people played it, it was a great feeling. To hear people’s reaction, to hear the confidence in Metroid fans saying “you know what, this may be good,” that kind of carried us through. Things changed after that. We knew we were doing the right thing.

Play: Well if you guys are leaving the series, I’m going to have to insist that you first bring Metroid Prime 1 and 2 out on the Wii, on a single disc. Call it Metroid Prime Saga, beef it up, add the new controls…

MK:
Saga, OK.

Bryan Walker (Senior Producer): [Laughs] You want a royalty for that?

Play: I wouldn’t say no. But a producer credit would be fine.

BW:
You’ll get as much as I get.

MK: [Laughs] A pat on the back. Maybe a lunch.

Play: Great! We’ll be looking forward to Metroid Prime Saga then, as well as Metroid Prime 3 Corruption.
Fonte: http://playmagazine.com/index.php?fuseaction=SiteMain.showGamePage&Game_ID=578&page=1

Entrevista Gamepro:
Feature: Q&A: online play a no-go in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Michael Kelbaugh, President and CEO of Retro Studios, gives us a final update on Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, as well as one bit of bad news: online multiplay will not appear.

What are the biggest differences between Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and the previous two Metroid Prime games?

MK:
It's got to be the controls. The integration of the controls with the Wii controller is a phenomenal difference, and a dramatic improvement in the experience as a whole.

How difficult was it to figure out how the controls would work?

MK:
When we first saw the Wii controller, our game director Mark Pacini was really concerned about being able to take all the controls we used in Metroid Primes 1 and 2 - because, really, you use every single button in those games - and morph them into the Wii controller. So we spent a tremendous amount of time making that as seamless and as intuitive as possible. And I think we accomplished that. I think we did a really good job , so that you can pick the Remote and Nunchuk up and not be intimidated.

The game has three different control schemes, which are essentially three different sensitivity settings. What was the thinking behind including all three instead of just doing one?

MK:
The whole idea behind the controls in Corruption is to make them accessible to any Wii player, whether it's your 8-year-old daughter or your 80-year-old grandmother. So having the different settings gives us the flexibility to accomplish that, and also giving the player the opportunity to modify their control settings as they get further into the game helped us reach that goal as well.

Did you guys look at control schemes for other first-person shooters for the Wii, and if so, did any of them have an effect, either positively or negatively, on what you guys did?

MK:
No. As a rule, we don't look at other games and make any comparisons. We focused on what we think are the best controls for our games and for Metroid Prime fans. We actually started working on this game's controls before any Wii games came out and before we had exposure to any Wii games.

What about in more general terms? Are there any other first-person shooters that you think are big influences on this game?

I just can't say that there are. We really don't develop like that, so it's hard to say...

Because to me, there are a certain things that are very Halo-esque about it--like the music.

MK:
Yeah. Well, I don't mean "yeah" in that I agree with you, but I understand where you're coming from.

One of the primary design objectives was to give this game a more epic feel. You mentioned the audio. Two, three years ago when we started talking about Metroid Prime 3 with Mr. [Kenji] Yamamoto, who's done the audio for all the Metroid games since the inception; we explained that we wanted the audio to convey a more epic feel. And you'll notice that it certainly has a much bigger feel to it. There are a lot of horns and big, dramatic sweeps. Mr. Yamamoto really put a lot into creating a much broader, more grandiose feel.

One of other new things I noticed was when you go into the scan visual mode, you can see Samus' eyes. Was that something that causes any debate amongst the team?

MK:
Well, we've always held Samus close to the heart, but that reflection is probably the most extensive view of Samus without her suit on that you're going to see in a Prime situation. But there was no discussion about doing that, it was just one of those things where someone on the team suggested, "Wouldn't it be cool if....?" And since it was relatively painless, we did it.

This game was supposed to be out earlier. What prompted the delay, and what did the extra time allow you?

MK:
Well, there was never a set date for the game's release, but there was a target date. Mr. [Satoru] Iwata [President of Nintendo] challenged us last fall to make this equal to, if not exceeding, the Zelda experience. And he said he would support it by giving us more time. It was, "Here's the bar. What is it going to take to reach it?" And the obvious answer was, "Well, we're going to need more time." And he agreed.

So it's all your fault....

Ha! Well, you'll reap the rewards, I'll guarantee.

As for what we added, that's kind of a tough question. I can't say, from a geometry standpoint, that we added this room or we added that boss. It wasn't a matter of "We have to add this element." We had the foundation of the game, it was more the classic Nintendo scenario of refinements and polish. So what we now have is an extremely polished, extremely tight experience.

Will Metroid Prime 3 have any online modes?

No. It's something we talked about early on, but we only have so many resources. We opted to devote those resources to making a better single-player experience.

Are there any unique challenges to being an American development studio working on a game for a Japanese company?

MK:
Well, let me refine that question a little bit. It should be: Are there any unique challenges to being a Western developer working in the Nintendo development environment? Because, really, that is where the challenge is. The challenge is applying Western methodologies in development and having those fit with Nintendo's expectations as they relate to quality. Which is very, very refreshing because it's never a situation where it's date-driven, it's always quality-driven. It's never, "Okay, regardless of the game's condition, it's coming out August 30th."

But on the flipside of that, we work for Nintendo, we are Nintendo, and the expectations for our games are intense. So meeting the quality standards for a Nintendo I.P. [intellectual property] is exceptionally challenging.

Do you think that they hired you guys, originally, to do these games because first-person shooters are kind of a Western thing? Because as I understand it, Japanese gamers are not as enamored of first-person shooters as Westerners are.

MK:
Yeah, first-person shooters or first-person adventure games don't do well at all in Japan.

Do the Metroid Prime games do well over there?

MK:
Not necessarily. It has nothing to do with the I.P. or the franchise, it's just that this style of game isn't popular. It sells well, as far as the genre is concerned, but it's like how traditional Japanese simulation games aren't that popular over here. So it would only make sense to have a Western developer work on a first-person game.

Corruption has been referred to as the third part of a trilogy, which is something that annoys me. How can the third part of anything be called the third part of a trilogy...until they do a fourth one. But is this the end of a trilogy, and when you started working on it, did you approach it as the end of a larger story?

MK:
We knew from the get-go that Corruption was the end of a trilogy. We knew from a design sense and the story that we were putting the button on the Prime franchise for the time being.

But is the thinking that, if this does well, you're do more of these games but you'll start a whole new story? Maybe call it Metroid Primo or something?

MK:
I don't think that's a bad idea at all. But as far as we're concerned, we approached this as the last of three. It's time to put the breaks on the Prime situation. But, of course, Metroid is a very strong I.P., there's no way they're going to put it to bed.

If Nintendo came to you and said, "We really liked the Prime series, and we want to a boxed set of all three games, but we'd need you to adapt the first two games to the Wii-mote." How long would it take to adapt those old games to the Wii-mote?

MK:
Oh, you're talking about code that's six, seven years old, so I can't answer that without diving into it.

Though for the Tokyo Game Show, a couple years ago, we did take Metroid Prime 2 code and adapt it to the Wii controller, and that took a couple months. But to really do it right, and really incorporate all the features of MP1 and MP2, it would take a while. It's just hard to really answer that without diving into it.

It's a great idea, though.

Well, go ahead and do it. And have them packaged in a Samus helmet.
Fonte: http://www.gamepro.com/nintendo/wii/games/features/119708.shtml

Mt mal jogado, hoje em dia um FPS sem online... que falha. O jogo pode até ser mt bom, mas toda a gent se farta de jogar contra bots.
Bom, Metroid Prime na essencia não é um FPS, é um FPA... A campanha single player não vai ser nada curta e foi claramente esse o focus.

O Prime 1 nem multiplayer tinha, o 2 tinha um só para dizer que tinha; não me admiro que o MP3 não tenha de todo, é um jogo de aventura na primeira pessoa.

Multiplayer Online era um bonus, na medida em há produtos first party da concorrencia nesse segmento, mas de facto Metroid como produto difere deles e não seria positivo haver um shift de prioridades (da componente single para a componente multi).

Última edição:
Não é propriamente o mesmo tipo de jogo. Daqui a pouco uma hipotetica sequela do Montezuma's Revenge/Return não presta porque não tem online.

Mas um modo online refinado seria uma mais valia, nem que fosse algo tipo Metroid Prime Hunters para a NDS (que perdeu um pouco o feeling Metroid Prime), desde que isso não interferisse com o resto, claro está.

Não ter modo online é um bocadito chato mas não acho grande coisa (apesar do jogo ir levar porrada por causa disso nas reviews)

Os jogos online que vale a pena jogar são quase sempre os mesmos e alguns só prestam mesmo para isso (o que não é pouco). A maioria dos FPSs tem um modo online onde praticamente ninguém joga.

Não ter modo online é um bocadito chato mas não acho grande coisa (apesar do jogo ir levar porrada por causa disso nas reviews)

Os jogos online que vale a pena jogar são quase sempre os mesmos e alguns só prestam mesmo para isso (o que não é pouco). A maioria dos FPSs tem um modo online onde praticamente ninguém joga.
Pois e para coisas dessas sinceramente prefiro que se tenham focado no que interessa num Metroid, que como foi dito difere bastante de outros jogos na primeira pessoa.

São jogos com mundos gigantes, por exemplo Metroid Prime tinha uma média de 30 horas de jogo, não estaria de todo interessado em passar para algo na ordem das 8-10 horas em nome de se terem focado num multiplayer (que até podia ser ao nivel do halo) mas que não encaixa realmente no franchise.

Por outro lado se viesse um multiplayer dessa envergadura e o meu single player intacto, seria o melhor para gregos e troianos.

Não sei se leva porrada nas reviews no entanto (mas espero que não), o Metroid Prime e o Metroid Prime 2 não levaram, porque eram essencialmente jogos de aventura, na primeira pessoa.

Última edição:
Multiplayer é sempre um bónus mas acho que para Metroid Prime o que interessa é o single player, e como disseram MP não é um FPS logo não é como praticamente todos os FPS que são lançados, que é só andar aos tiros.

Não gosto do Boxart Americano...muita samus na capa, nada de especial na minha opinião...

Também não gosto...

------------------------

O reflexo da cara da Samus no visor sempre foi uma coisa que eu gostei . :)

119828-12-2.jpg

É o reflexo da cara, não é?

Última edição:
Eu diria que perdeu todo o feeling dos jogos da GameCube. Para ser sincero, odiei o single player do jogo, e o online, por muito bom que seja, (a mim) jamais compensa a falta de um um modo épico a solo, ao nível de Metroid Prime/2: Echoes.
Concordo, mas lá está... quem o fez foi a NST... a Retro Studios não esteve directamente envolvida nesse jogo, que apesar de tudo é um bom shooter, mas para shooter podiam ter usado outro IP qualquer.

De qualquer maneira não seria mal pensado ter metido então duas equipas a Retro Studios no single player e a NST no multiplayer com partilha de assets mas separação das coisas, isto já seria praticamente fazer dois jogos no entanto e não é assim tão fácil ter dois estudios livres (e em ultima análise a tê-los mais vale fazer dois jogos).
Também gosto, mas prefiro certos efeitos como o embaciamento do visor e afins. Muito à frente!
Lembro-me como se fosse hoje, no Metroid Prime em locais abertos quando estava a chover, olhar para cima e cairem gotas de agua no visor. :D

Última edição:
Eu acho que o online n faz falta nenhuma num Metroid, tipo um Zelda com online estragaria a tradição.
Eu em online só jogo 3 jogos, MSC, Cod2 e LOTR BFME II. 2 para pc e um para a wii.
Online mais vale tipo num Red Steel 2, o Metroid sempre foi um jogo mais de aventura daí ser fpa, os tiros são algo secundário, (eu só tenho o 1 metroid) ainda não passei o jogo, emprestei o jogo à séculos e ainda não o revi (nestas férias heide reavê-lo).

Bah, estava á espera do Online. Que m£rd@. >(

Para isso adiem a porcaria do jogo até ao Natal e façam isso.

Dass, fiquei muito chateado.

devo ser dos poucos que nao vai comprar este jogo por nao gostar!! lol

Eu também não o devo fazer, como também não o fiz tanto par ao Metroid Prime 1 como para o 2.
Eu sei que o jogo é baseado em exploração e aventura, mas uma coisa que não me atrai é mesmo ser em first person :/

Bah, estava á espera do Online. Que m£rd@. >(

Para isso adiem a porcaria do jogo até ao Natal e façam isso.

Dass, fiquei muito chateado.

Estás-te a esquecer daquilo que foi dito mais acima. Está planeado este jogo receber actualizações através da internet e uma dessas actualizações pode mesmo ser o modo online. Porque não lançar o jogo agora com o modo single player tal como está e lá para o natal vir o update com o modo online?

Eu duvido muito dessas actualizações sinceramente...a Retro não confirmou nada acerca do online, isso foram apenas rumores lançados por sites ou revistas já não sei...e com a teimosia da Nintendo em não lançar o HD para a Wii então é que duvido mesmo, dado que 512mb não chegam para conteudo extra dos jogos mas os da virtual console, mais os canais...mais o...etc...etc

Estás-te a esquecer daquilo que foi dito mais acima. Está planeado este jogo receber actualizações através da internet e uma dessas actualizações pode mesmo ser o modo online. Porque não lançar o jogo agora com o modo single player tal como está e lá para o natal vir o update com o modo online?

Tá bem, mas eu quero é factos...Não supostas "actualizações" posteriores. E o único facto até agora é que não vai haver online.

Eu não contava com isso, a não ser que o jogo já tenha alguma espécie de multiplayer offline com arenas.

Se nesta altura não têm um multiplayer a correr nem adiado até ao natal teriam um em condições de concorrer; seria sempre afterthought, aliás mesmo que tivessem o focus de desenvolvimento não teria sido o multiplayer e isso obriga a fazer compromissos, tal como eles deram a entender, se optassem por meter multiplayer online isso comprometeria o jogo, arriscava-se a ser um "jack of all trades master of none" (faz tudo, mas não faz nada particularmente bem) ou comprometer e encolher o single player; possivelmente comprometer até na mecanica, para se adequar.
Eu também não o devo fazer, como também não o fiz tanto par ao Metroid Prime 1 como para o 2.
Eu sei que o jogo é baseado em exploração e aventura, mas uma coisa que não me atrai é mesmo ser em first person :/
Se não sofres algum genero de motion sickness com modos na primeira pessoa, aconselho pelo menos experimentar. (casa de amigos, qualquer coisa)

Muita gente aquando o Metroid Prime 1 não acreditava que Metroid ia resultar assim, mas... resulta.

Última edição:
Não vejo ninguém com problemas de motion sickness desde o tempo do quake1 (por aquele 3D resultar de forma uma pouco estranha).

Muita gente não gosta de fps por este estilo de jogo sofrer de um excesso de multiplayer. Desde o quake3 arena que vejo isso, cada jogo que sai, é virado essencialmente para o combate, andar a correr pelo mapa, fragar fragar fragar e pouco mais. Vi alguém dizer que um fps em single player não presta por andarmos a lutar contra bots. Aí está, essa sensação de bots, só a tenho naqueles jogos em que o único objectivo é andar aos saltos pelos mapas ou no máximo, chegar de um ponto até outro sem me apanharem.

Se olharmos mais pra trás no tempo vemos outro tipo de fps, os primeiros completamente diferentes. Recordo com especial atenção quake2, quake1 e duke nukem 3D, os 3 encontram-se entre os melhores jogos que já joguei e são sem dúvida os melhores fps que joguei (duke nukem o melhor e quake2 o menos melhor).

Aguardo ansiosamente este metroid prime, porque me parece que é o mais parecido com este estilo de que falei. Se um dia vier a sair um modo multiplayer melhor, se vierem a saí mais conteúdos singleplayer, melhor ainda. Mas anseio mesmo é pelo modo singleplayer, é esse que me vai fazer comprar o jogo.

Metroid prime 1 e 2 acredito que sejam bons mas neste momento não tenciona comprar nenhum deles. Sou muito céptico quanto a jogar este tipo de jogo com um gamepad...

Back