Notícias de última hora dos projectos BOINC

PS3GRID:
An article featuring boinc.cat and ps3grid has just appeared in a Spanish newspaper.
LHC

The workunits were coming thick and fast last week. We think that this should continue and we thank you for all your help and patience.
There were some issues with the server but we caught them pretty quickly and think we've fixed them. Hopefully they won't happen again.
After a post ages ago on the forum about myminicity, I thought it'd be fun to have an LHC@home one. So go to http://lhchome.myminicity.com/ and help us build up our minicity.
Wow we're flying now, only thing now is we've no industry so click http://lhchome.myminicity.com/ind if you haven't visited our fair city today. Later days,
Neasan.
Até já ao BOINC chegou esta mania. :P

BRaTS
So you may, or probably may not, have noticed the site go up and down for about an hour. I was upgrading some other things on the server and had to take web services down, unexpectedly. Everything should be fine now.
Milkyway
I've updated the applications for a few versions of the binaries, we should be adding more on wednesday. Let us know if there are any problems with the new binaries. We're hoping these should fix the progress bug, memory leaks, and also report why windows is giving popups -- so we can fix that in the next version.
There was a stray printf in the code that was used to compile the binaries, which might make any of you using the 1.14 version to be seeing a bunch of computation errors. We're recompiling and signing and hope to have a fixed version out tonight or tomorrow morning. Until then i've stopped the daemons so everyone isn't seeing a bunch of errors when they're trying to run milkyway. Sorry about the inconvenience for everyone.
TSP
Ant colony app is progressing well. I did hit one sang in the ACO, and that is the maximum size of the problem it can deal with. It was initially written with a max size of 6000 cities, however, to see how it scales as city size gets larger it needs to deal with far more cities than that. So far I have no plan around this limitation, so the plan will be to work on the other boinc aspects (i.e. validator, assimlator, and work generator) and hope a good idea comes to me
Milkyway:

We've updated the applications again, hopefully these will work for everybody. Let us know if there are any problems.
I'm trying to roll the application back to 1.13 because 1.15 is still having problems. We'll re-update as soon as we figure out what the problem is.
We've updated windows, ppc-apple and 32 bit linux binaries to 1.18 to address the problems people have been seeing. Please let us know if these are still causing any problems.
Spinhenge:
Prof. Dr. Christian Schröder held a talk with the title "Multiple nearest-neighbor exchange constants in the frustrated magnetic molecules {Mo72Fe30} and {Mo72Cr30}" at 72nd Annual Meeting 2008 and DPG Spring Meeting of the Condensed Matter Section in conjunction with further divisions and working groups. The slides you can find under Talks.
PS3GRID:
An article featuring boinc.cat and ps3grid has just appeared in a Spanish newspaper.
LHC

The workunits were coming thick and fast last week. We think that this should continue and we thank you for all your help and patience.
There were some issues with the server but we caught them pretty quickly and think we've fixed them. Hopefully they won't happen again.
After a post ages ago on the forum about myminicity, I thought it'd be fun to have an LHC@home one. So go to http://lhchome.myminicity.com/ and help us build up our minicity.
Wow we're flying now, only thing now is we've no industry so click http://lhchome.myminicity.com/ind if you haven't visited our fair city today. Later days,
Neasan.
Até já ao BOINC chegou esta mania. :P

BRaTS
So you may, or probably may not, have noticed the site go up and down for about an hour. I was upgrading some other things on the server and had to take web services down, unexpectedly. Everything should be fine now.
Milkyway
I've updated the applications for a few versions of the binaries, we should be adding more on wednesday. Let us know if there are any problems with the new binaries. We're hoping these should fix the progress bug, memory leaks, and also report why windows is giving popups -- so we can fix that in the next version.
There was a stray printf in the code that was used to compile the binaries, which might make any of you using the 1.14 version to be seeing a bunch of computation errors. We're recompiling and signing and hope to have a fixed version out tonight or tomorrow morning. Until then i've stopped the daemons so everyone isn't seeing a bunch of errors when they're trying to run milkyway. Sorry about the inconvenience for everyone.
TSP
Ant colony app is progressing well. I did hit one sang in the ACO, and that is the maximum size of the problem it can deal with. It was initially written with a max size of 6000 cities, however, to see how it scales as city size gets larger it needs to deal with far more cities than that. So far I have no plan around this limitation, so the plan will be to work on the other boinc aspects (i.e. validator, assimlator, and work generator) and hope a good idea comes to me
Milkyway:

We've updated windows, ppc-apple and 32 bit linux binaries to 1.19. Let us know if these work. We should be adding some new platforms soon as well.
TSP:
Made some major progress today. ACO builds under windows and linux and I was able to modify the code base to be able to recreate results. Reproduceable results are always good in science! I hope to release a limitted number of new workunits on Monday.
Milkyway:

We noticed a computational error in the code, so we've updated all the binaries to 1.21. This way everyone has the same version number which makes keeping track of everything better. We've also added some optimization to more platforms so you might notice improved performance. Let us know if you're having any problems with the new binaries. We should have a 32 bit linux version soon (this was the only platform not updated yet).
We noticed a computational error in the code, so we've updated all the binaries to 1.21. This way everyone has the same version number which makes keeping track of everything better. We've also added some optimization to more platforms so you might notice improved performance. Let us know if you're having any problems with the new binaries. We should have a 32 bit linux version soon (this was the only platform not updated yet).
We've updated the windows and 32 bit linux binaries. Hopefully this will fix the problem win2k users were having with the apps crashing.
RALPH:
The minirosetta application has been updated to 1.09. This version includes our first attempt at using a separate graphics application. The graphics are very basic but should improve with time. Please report bugs in this thread
The Ralph executable has been updated to 5.95. This version fixes a small bug in the previous version. Please report bugs in this thread.
PrimeGrid:
With the Ides of March just a week away, we wish to offer a challenge. Come join a one day effort in an attempt to push the Prime Sierpinski Sieve to over 50,000 WU's in one day and thus reach the p=2500T sieve depth. For more information, please see the forum thread.
yoyo:
We test Muon as new application, thanks to Cody for coding the wrapper.
Hydrogen:
Started building a new project server this weekend. I've been less attentive to our current test environment.
Leiden:
The Linux 64 bit trajtou apps have been recompiled on an up to date system. The problems on newer Linux systems should be solved by this.
TSP:
I wanted to be done with the app today but I'm not. I'll be beta testing the ACO on the linux side, and trying to figure out why the windows boinc source doesn't build. MTughan in his infinite kindness will be building the app for mac. If nothing else there will be some ACO WU's ready today.
Nqueens:
All project resutls available online for download in CSV format.
TSP:
Ok Ok I know I'm a day behind, but there is good news. I did manage to build a windows app after all!
Cosmology:
If you are experiencing problems with CAMB 2.10 and below, abort those WUs and get the newest version of CAMB, 2.11
Lattice:
It seems that all of the HMMPfam jobs for this massive batch have been submitted, and I will be letting the work trickle out of the system. There are some jobs that need to resubmitted, but I may investigate the results that seem to be stuck in the "Ready to Send" state, first.
TSP:
I got everything working under linux last night. I am starting windows tests right now, will be ready for prime time soon.
PrimeGrid:
Only 3 days remain until the Ides of March. Please check you local time zones to determine the start of the challenge: 15 March 2008 00:00 UTC. For updated information, please see the forum thread.
Rosetta
Minirosetta has been updated to version 1.09. New graphics for windows have been included, and graphics for the mac should be in by the next version. This update also includes a variety of new experimental protocols for fullatom minimization. Please post any issues/bugs in this thread.

TSP:
Well I have to apologize once again. I have been in touch with the original author of the ACO code and I'm still unable to create identical runs. Hence I cant validate any workunits I send out. I'll keep on it today, and let you konw as soon as I make any progress

Última edição:
Faltou-te este Mr. Brightside: :)

Escapou-me. :P

Isto também explica o facto de eu estar neste momento com o Sudoku a todo o gás. :D

Eu já te apanho outra vez. :P

On-topic:

Rosetta:
Rosetta has been updated to version 5.95. This version includes a new method for searching beta sheet topologies. For details, see this thread.
PrimeGrid:
Less than 10 hours until the Ides of March. There has been an unprecedented run-up before the Challenge. We can sense the impending doom for 1000's of k/n pairs. For updated information, please see the forum thread.
TSP:
First off ACO still isn't ready. I was working on the validator and realized that the results were only consistent across a platform. This is due to the random number generator having different implementations on different platforms. So where does that leave ACO, well its kind of suspended, I have two new PRNG (pseudo random number generators) to test out. That is the good news. The bad news is that I'm going camping and diving over the weekend, and have some real work to do early in the week. So I promise SOON it will be done. Give me a break at least I'm working on it and I live on a island in the middle of the pacific you can't expect too much. As a consolation prize for the credit hounds. Lesson learned, slackers and open source rule. The BF had a bunch of room for optimizations in the code. I was too busy with ACO to care, call me a slacker. Anyway Palo M. took it upon himself to make all the little tweaks I should have made and a few more. He is getting massive improvements on the BF app. He was kind enough to share his source. He could have kept it all to himself, but no he didn't which I think is great! Its really in line with the sprit of the TSP. So I'm going to make his source available for download in the optimized dir of the svn repository. PaloM Rocks! You may ask why not just release an app? Well I'm busy, and can't build all the apps I need to, so its up to you. sorry for the delay, Markus
Cosmology:
CAMB 2.12 has been released and now correctly resolves the output filenames to prevent "cannot rename output file" errors.
Milkyway:
Good news everyone! The paper we submitted to the GECCO 2008 conference was accepted, this paper is all about results we've gotten using the genetic search/simplex hybrid on BOINC -- so we couldn't have done it without you :) for more information on the conference: GECCO 2008.
PrimeGrid
First 12 hours of the challenge have gone well! 186.1K WU's have been downloaded so far. Our original goal was 50K and that was hit 1 hour 35 minutes into the Challenge. Quite AMAZING!!! For an updated status, please see this forum post.
Congratulations everyone on a job well done. The participation was well beyond our expectations. We exceeded our initial goal of 50K WU's and our advanced goal of 250K WU's downloaded. Additionally, we completed well beyond the sieve depth of p=2500T so a GREAT milestone for the Prime Sierpinski project and Seventeen or Bust. For more details on results, please see this forum post.
Cosmology:
The server is back up after cleaning out the old versions of CAMB that are no longer being used.
yoyo:
yoyo@home jumps in to #33 in Muons team stats.
The server and mysql crashes in the past are now solved. The CPU fan was broken. Everytime the system gets high load it was to hot for the CPU and the system crashed. Mysql was the first part which crashed.
Superlink:
loadd for Linux ***** 32-bit optimized.
WEP-M+2:
12-digit factor of P2203 has now been found by the project 1353 times
TSP:
LOL the best laid plans of mice and men.... I thought people would be happy to know they could get a optimized app for the BF, and get a killer rac. I thought it would be good to reward people for taking advantage of the open source nature of the TSP project. I was very happy that someone took the time to make the updates I never got around to doing, as well as the things I had not thought of doing.
Cosmology
We are suspending WU generation until the "Rombint" errors are solved and a new generator is up and running.
Lattice:
I am in the process of rolling out some system enhancements, which should have a dramatic impact on the number of simultaneously running HMMPfam jobs we can allow, for example. We will mostly likely scale up this capacity gradually, but if you notice anything odd please don't hesitate to report it. Thanks!
Milkyway:
We're running a purge on the database to try and get things sped up. During this time we wont be generating any new work, but this should be completed sometime tonight and there will be new work after that.
Malaria:
The project will be offline for an estimated one to two hours today, starting now.
Milkyway:
I just upgraded the BOINC server software. The database is a little shaky right now as we're trying to upgrade to PHP5 to facilitate it better. Therefore the forums will be down until we can get PHP5 up, hopefully it won't take more than a day. However, the assimilator problem seems to be fixed with this release and hopefully so will the freezeups.
Cosmology:
The project is now back up and running. The generator will be down for a bit until we run down the available WUs, but then the new generator will kick in.
Hydrogen:
If you live or work in metropolitan New York City; Washington, D.C.; or southern California, you may be eligible to test-drive an Equinox Fuel Cell vehicle, or share your opinions directly with The GM Fuel Cell Team. You must be at least 21 years of age, a U.S. citizen and have a valid driver's license. http://www.chevrolet.com/fuelcell/checkzipcode/
Milkyway:
I've updated the assimilator to deal with some of the performance issues we've been having with it. You should see more work availability and hopefully we wont have results piling up that aren't assimilated. I've started up a bunch of new searches and hopefully the work will keep flowing faster than before.
Cosmology:
It seems that the WUs in the queue right now will not run correctly, so we are going to cancel all of the current WUs and give credit to the WUs which have already been completed. Then, we will enable the new WU generator. Make sure to update your BOINC client so that you don't accidentally crunch WUs that have been canceled.
TSP:
The only way get past negative junk is with positive stuff. Zombie67 was the proud owner of the very first ACO task. The test didn't work as expected, there were some differences between resluts on different platforms. This may have been due to an version mistake on my part. I have "fixed" that and running a new test. For the curious, this app uses the new boinc api two_credit function for granting credtis.
TSP:
Yup all is well with the ACO, and as soon as I get ahold of MTughan again I'll have some mac apps ready. Workunit id 739657 confirms I'm getting identical results accross platforms (thanks PieBandit and VidVidmar). Currently TSP lacks a certain rigor, and that needs to change. The BF is useless from a scientific pint of view. The entire reason for the heuristic class of algorithms came about because of the short falls inherent in the brute force approach. I applaud PaloM's initiative in fixing the BF and hope he takes a crack at the ACO some day. Unfortunately, as Zombie67 pints out, there is very little merit continuing with the BF app as it is, hence it will be discontinued on Monday. So all you credit hounds, should start pumping out as many of those BF WU's as possible. I can see you are doing that as the "ready to send" queue is almost always empty. Work will slow down to a trickle until I figure out a work generator. Given the nature of the ACO experiments I can't just set up a generator like I did for the BF. Anyway I hope you all stay on and crunching with TSP, and if not, thanks for you help so far.
DepSpid:
During the last weeks, the spider application and the server performed very well and together with the help of the participants the project activity has exceeded the amount of 5.5 million visited domains and 2.5 Terabytes total network traffic within half a month. The new spider application v5.27 performs much better than previous versions and has reduced the average memory usage to a fourth. The next steps will be to update the web code of the project server and start with internal testings of the phase-2 application. To do some preparations for this, the project server will be offline for the next two weeks.
PrimeGrid:
The aftermath of the Ides of March Challenge has taken its toll as the database has been experiencing issues since 20 March 2008. Conditions are slowly starting to improve. For more information, please see this forum thread.
TSP:
Work generator was down due to a boinc bd update I failed to notice. All is well and there should be plenty of work in the queue for everyone.
Neuron:
Project Stage - Beta. This project is now closing down. The person doing the analysis has be deployed elsewhere and there are not going to be any replacement resources. The site will remain as will the database so stats sites can continue to get data but no new units will be produced. Hopefully the system will be around for as long as this server runs but it is due for replacement within the next 4 months and there are no guarantees after that date. It was intended to finish after a maximum of 2 years if you recall so this is on time as it were or perhaps just a little early. Hopefully a final report will be produced to add to the results already reported. Thank you all and good luck finding other projects.
Milkyway:
Due to the fact that the application has been highly optimized in the last few versions, most people agree that the granted credit is way too high for the project by a factor of 3. We've scaled credit down to keep it in line with other projects, so if you notice reduced credit this is why.
Lattice:
A couple hundred HMMPfam cleanup batches are in the process of being submitted. This will be the first major test of the new file caching code, but hopefully no one notices!
Milkyway:
Due to many complaints that the reduction in credit was a bit too severe, we've increased the generated credit a bit. It should be around 4 credit per WU now. Please feel free to keep complaining about credit on the forums and we'll eventually get it right. :)
RieslSiev:
Please abort any version 5.64 and 5.65 workunits. There's a problem in the result file that causes the app to not return factors properly.

A new version has been released (5.66) for Windows x86 and x86_64 that corrects the problem.
PrimeGrid:
We are back up and running. For a detailed explanation of the events that caused the outage, please see the forum thread.
Cosmology
Until we fix CAMB's lensing component, we will be temporarily lowering credit granted to all WUs from 100 to 80.
It seems that the WUs in the queue right now will not run correctly, so we are going to cancel all of the current WUs and give credit to the WUs which have already been completed. Then, we will enable the new WU generator. Make sure to update your BOINC client so that you don't accidentally crunch WUs that have been canceled.

Hydrogen:
I increased the iterations of genetic algorithms from 1 to 10. Our workunits should run over an hour on most CPUs. -Jack

PS3GRID:
Tomorrow Friday, there will be a general shutdown in the PRBB server room which will affect ps3grid.net. The server will remain down for approximatevely 4 hours. Everything should get back to normal after the server is booted again.

Última edição:
TSP:
I got side tracked for a couple days with a BF problem, but the ACO work generator is operational. Due to the nature of the DIMC and the ACO the steady stream of work you are used to with the BF will not be easy. I'll do my best to stay ahead of the workunit generation.
PS3GRID:
The master url of the project has changed to the simpler http://www.ps3grid.net. Previous master url will still work, although the boinc client will notify that you should use the new one.

Neuron:
Project Stage - Beta. This project has now closed down. From the Cafe - the winner of the Last Person to Post thread was Cori.
Project Stage - Beta. This project has now closed down. All work units have now been completed and returned. Credit has been awarded as appropriate.

Última edição:
RCN:
There are no W6 anymore. We've canceled them in order to do an interim analysis. The remaining work will be splitted into smaller parts to increase the efficiency of the project. You can choose to crunch down (within 2 days) or cancel the W6's you have. For the next few days we will crunch rCross. Then the W7 series will start.

RieslSiev:
I'm currently working on the database, so the database-driven parts of BOINC are down at the moment. I plan to have services restored at about 9:30pm eastern.

EDIT: I'm changing over to 2G workunits, so I'm going to hold things off until 9:30. What will happen is: we'll run through the last 45,000 or so 1G workunits, then we'll switch over to 2G workunits.

SIMAP a 31 de Março:
New workunits: The calculation of similarities and features of the approx. 350.000 new sequences, that were imported from the databases PDB, RefSeq and Uniprot in march 2008, will start in the evening (UTC) of march 31st.

Hydrogen a 31 de Março:
We had an unfortunate database mishap. My workunit generator interface was not sending tasks to hosts. I used my backup script but it did not work. When I restored to a snapshot I lost about two weeks worth of data including some new project volunteers. I your account is gone, please join again. I am terribly sorry.

PS3GRID a 31 de Março:
Server is up.
Server is up again after PRBB server room maintainance.

Cosmology:
We are experiencing some problems with our mysql server which started at some point over the weekend. I am currently working on it and will post as soon as I have it up again.
The database appears to be up and working again. To learn more about the issues, read this post.

E agora a partidinha do dia: :D

Pirates:
The Primates@Home Project is testing the reaction of primates to a disturbance in their accustomed environment.

Última edição:
Cosmology:
Due to the flux in workunits that has been taking place recently, there's quite a lot of strain on the database. So, until the validator and the other daemons are caught up on their work, we aren't going to send out any more WUs. We'll restart the scheduler as soon as it's done. Thank you for your patience.
Hydrogen:
I created an advanced workunit generator for AutoDock4 workunits. This provides a more powerful interface for custom docking. In addition, we have a mailer that optionally sends results to initiator, and our sample results file will temporarily provide the results in a directory. Thanks to Nicolas, we can represent these files as 3D structure models. -Jack
RCN:
20 workunits named ''test_*'' are online now. The new series will follow soon.

SETI:
Last night the BOINC database server crashed - it's recovering now and the project should be up shortly.

Última edição:
Back