[nova LCD]:Philips Cinema 21:9

We've already seen Philip's potentially industry changing Cinema 21:9 aspect ratio TV, but yesterday afternoon the company kindly unveiled it to a small group of the UK's top tech press (yep, I was there too).

In short: wow.
In long: caveats.

But let's go for in medium. Now officially dubbed the 'Cinema 21:9', its remarkable aspect ratio treated us to a truly wonderful cinematic-like experience. For the purists, the name is a mathematical approximation for marketing purposes but it will enable films shot in 2.39:1 to completely fill the screen - though Philips was a touch sketchy on whether there may be the smallest amount of pixel mapping.

9963-rimg0010.jpg

At 56 inches this form factor is incredibly striking (the shot below is alongside a 42in Philips 16:9). Its native resolution was to be revealed but we managed to discover it will be 2,560 x 1,080 pixels and 16:9 content (typical widescreen) will display without any pillar-boxing. 4:3 on the other hand will feature these horizontal black bars (less invasive than horizontal 'enveloping' in my opinion). Home cinema fans will also be chuffed to know that according to Philips more than 60 per cent of DVDs and Blu-rays already on sale allegedly support 21:9.
Interestingly, Philips is also skipping LED backlighting in this first iteration, so straight CCFL backlighting will be used instead. But from what we saw, the Perfect Pixel HD Engine was still jaw dropping and home cinema fans will be treated to no less than five HDMI ports plus DLNA, WiFi and Ethernet.

9963-rimg0013.jpg

Controversies? The new version of Ambilight Spectra employed is sadly only three sided (the bottom edge misses out), no further specs were released and physically - at about 20cm deep - it isn't one for those hunting out an ultra slim model. Pricing was also a thorny topic with Philips not even prepared to indicate to the nearest thousand GBP - some speculate the aspect ratio will actually help reduce costs but if the Cinema 21:9 is less than £3,000 I'd be amazed (£4k-5k seems more likely to me).
Arrival timeframe? Loosely given as Q2 and we were told the version we were seeing wasn't final (the 16:9 and 4:3 scaling tech was absent). Why show us the Cinema 21:9 so early, then? Simple, there was a constant reference to how Philips was first with this product and the company even admitted it expects others to announce 21:9 screens soon - even though word is, it has exclusivity on panel production until August/September. It wants to be known as the leader here and that seems fair to me.

So, Philips may well have had the first word on the 21:9 form factor but don't expect it to be the last.

LINK

2-20-09--cinema_21-9_06_lif.jpg

1. Availability
This is the good part (yes, I'm sending preparatory vibes) as Philips has admitted the 21:9 will be available as soon as June - little over three months away for those of you who've noticed we're near the end of February. So get saving.

2. Price
Here's the tricky one because - and here I blame the exchange rates - it's going to be 4,000 euros. Now could we turn the clocks back 12/18 months that would be in the £2.7/2.9k range but sadly in this banker made recession of ours that now translates to north of £3,500. On the other hand - and I say this with some reservation: it could have been worse.

So if you've still got the cash to splash on a 56in behemoth designed to recreate your local cinema aspect ratios then feel free to start rubbing your hands with glee. Everyone else feel free to hunt down these people and set the hounds loose...

Também gostava de saber se alguém o tem.

Para filmes deve ser uma experiência extraordinária.
Gostava de saber como se comporta com as outras proporções.

Back