Optimus Maximus Keyboard Priced & Dated

greven

Folding Artist
4488-optimax114.jpg

You remember the Optimus Maximus OLED keyboard, I remember the Optimus Maximus keyboard. It has been the subject of some of our sweetest dreams and – during quiet moments – made us tingle in all our most sensitive places... and now it has a price and a release date.

I feel bad writing this because I know I'm going to be breaking hearts much in the mould of debunking the Easter Bunny and Father Christmas, so I'm just going to blurt it out:

$1,536!!!

I know, it's a shock. Much like the fat man in the red suit, I'm sure you'd had your doubts for a while – but that doesn't soften the blow. Worse still, first models won't arrive until November 31 November, the development team bizarrely states) and even then only 200 units will be made for the first two months. In January this will be ramped up to 400 units.

hile I'm saying all this I think I might as well blurt out that cartoons aren't real, stories rarely end up happily ever after and all the bands you love will make rubbish follow up albums while your favourite movies will be butchered and trivialised by anaemic, financially motivated sequels.

For what it's worth – the RRP has been blamed on the high cost of OLEDs, with each key rumoured to cost in excess of $10 to make. On the bright side this should come down quickly over the next 18 months. In fact, by 2010 it'll probably only cost about $600 which will translate as £600 over here!

Sorry... I'm being cruel again...

http://www.trustedreviews.com/peripherals/news/2007/04/30/Optimus-Maximus-Keyboard-Priced-Dated/p1

Back