Researchers Produce New Kind of PC Game

Sadino

I'm cool cuz I Fold
Dei com este artigo no Slashdot e pareceu-me muito interessante:

AI Researchers Produce New Kind of PC Game

Posted by timothy on Monday June 27, @07:32PM
from the learning-by-killing dept.
Ken Stanley writes "In an unusual demonstration of video game innovation with limited funding and resources, a mostly volunteer team of over 30 student programmers, artists, and researchers at the University of Texas at Austin has produced a new game genre in which the player interacively trains robotic soldiers for combat. Unlike most games today that use scripting for the AI, non-player-characters in NERO learn new tactics in real-time using advanced machine learning techniques. Perhaps projects such as this one will encourage the video game industry to begin to seek alternatives to simple scripted AI."
Welcome to the Project NERO Website
NERO is the result of a joint project between the Digital Media Collaboratory (DMC) and the neuroevolution group at the Department of Computer Sciences at the University of Texas at Austin (UTCS). NERO utilizes state-of-the-art academic artificial intelligence research in order to demonstrate its effectiveness in a game environment. The game uses AI to allow simulated robotic agents to cope with changing environments and situations, and form adaptive tactical solutions. The end result is a game that adapts itself to the strategies desired by the player, while still allowing the AI-controlled entities to operate as autonomous agents. NERO introduces a new genre of video game that is only possible with machine learning technology: The player takes the role of trainer and teaches a team of novice soldiers the skills for battle. When sufficient skills have been acquired, players can take their teams to battle mode where their skills are tested against teams trained by other players.

Back