Return of the Mac

Xpirit

Banido
http://paulgraham.com/mac.html

All the best hackers I know are gradually switching to Macs. My friend Robert said his whole research group at MIT recently bought themselves Powerbooks. These guys are not the graphic designers and grandmas who were buying Macs at Apple's low point in the mid 1990s. They're about as hardcore OS hackers as you can get.

The reason, of course, is OS X. Powerbooks are beautifully designed and run FreeBSD. What more do you need to know?

I got a Powerbook at the end of last year. When my IBM Thinkpad's hard disk died soon after, it became my only laptop. And when my friend Trevor showed up at my house recently, he was carrying a Powerbook identical to mine.

For most of us, it's not a switch to Apple, but a return. Hard as this was to believe in the mid 90s, the Mac was in its time the canonical hacker's computer.

In the fall of 1983, the professor in one my college CS classes got up and announced, like a prophet, that there would soon be a computer with half a MIP of processing power that would fit under an airline seat and cost so little that we could save enough to buy one from a summer job. The whole room gasped. And when the Mac appeared, it was even better than we'd hoped. It was small and powerful and cheap, as promised. But it was also something we'd never considered a computer could be: fabulously well designed.

I had to have one. And I wasn't alone. In the mid to late 1980s, all the hackers I knew were either writing software for the Mac, or wanted to. Every futon sofa in Cambridge seemed to have the same fat white book lying open on it. If you turned it over, it said "Inside Macintosh."

Then came Linux and FreeBSD, and hackers, who follow the most powerful OS wherever it leads, found themselves switching to Intel boxes. If you cared about design, you could buy a Thinkpad, which was at least not actively repellent, if you could get the Intel and Microsoft stickers off the front. [1]

With OS X, the hackers are back. When I walked into the Apple store in Cambridge, it was like coming home. Much was changed, but there was still that Apple coolness in the air, that feeling that the show was being run by someone who really cared, instead of random corporate deal-makers.

So what, the business world may say. Who cares if hackers like Apple again? How big is the hacker market, after all?

Quite small, but important out of proportion to its size. When it comes to computers, what hackers are doing now, everyone will be doing in ten years. Almost all technology, from Unix to bitmapped displays to the Web, became popular first within CS departments and research labs, and gradually spread to the rest of the world.

I remember telling my father back in 1986 that there was a new kind of computer called a Sun that was a serious Unix machine, but so small and cheap that you could have one of your own to sit in front of, instead of sitting in front of a VT100 connected to a single central Vax. Maybe, I suggested, he should buy some stock in this company. I think he really wishes he'd listened.

In 1994 my friend Koling wanted to talk to his girlfriend in Taiwan, and to save long-distance bills he wrote some software that would convert sound to data packets that could be sent over the Internet. We weren't sure at the time whether this was a proper use of the Internet, which was still then a quasi-government entity. What he was doing is now called VoIP, and it is a huge and rapidly growing business.

If you want to know what ordinary people will be doing with computers in ten years, just walk around the CS department at a good university. Whatever they're doing, you'll be doing.

In the matter of "platforms" this tendency is even more pronounced, because novel software originates with great hackers, and they tend to write it first for whatever computer they personally use. And software sells hardware. Many if not most of the initial sales of the Apple II came from people who bought one to run VisiCalc. And why did Bricklin and Frankston write VisiCalc for the Apple II? Because they personally liked it. They could have chosen any machine to make into a star.

If you want to attract hackers to write software that will sell your hardware, you have to make it something that they themselves use. It's not enough to make it "open." It has to be open and good.

And open and good is what Macs are again, finally. The intervening years have created a situation that is, as far as I know, without precedent: Apple is popular at the low end and the high end, but not in the middle. My seventy year old mother has a Mac laptop. My friends with PhDs in computer science have Mac laptops. [2] And yet Apple's overall market share is still small.

Though unprecedented, I predict this situation is also temporary.

So Dad, there's this company called Apple. They make a new kind of computer that's as well designed as a Bang & Olufsen stereo system, and underneath is the best Unix machine you can buy. Yes, the price to earnings ratio is kind of high, but I think a lot of people are going to want these.

Notes

[1] These horrible stickers are much like the intrusive ads popular on pre-Google search engines. They say to the customer: you are unimportant. We care about Intel and Microsoft, not you.

[2] Our new site, ycombinator.com, is (we hope) visited mostly by hackers. The proportions of OSes are: Windows 59.8%, Macintosh 16.9%, FreeBSD 11%, and Linux 10.3%. The Mac number is a big change from what it would have been five years ago.

Última edição:
hehehehehe alguem se lembra do filme "hackers" com a angelina jolie?? tudo bem que o filme eh um "fantochada" mas reparem nas maquinas que eles usam :P hihihi pois eh :P isto em 1995 :D
10 anos depois, a Apple volta a brilhar! :D os ibook's novos sao tao lindos e brotam tanto power! *G* :P

tb gostei do texto e da abordagem do homem! fenomenal! e os sun's que ele fala, provavelmente sao o outro processador maravilha, o sparc :)

Artigo interessante.

Não neste mercado, que deve dar mais importancia ao SO que ao hardware/performance, mas se a Apple tivesse cá fora o Powerbook G5, o impacto era ainda maior.

Mas a escolha do BSD parece agradar a gregos e a troianos.

Acho que vou ser a vós discordante.
Li o artigo e pensei: sim o Mac OS está excelente, vi coisas interessantes mas o Mac OS não é "o Mac". O Mac é caro, vem sempre com alguma coisa que é preciso ir buscar à lista de acessórios.

Hà uns dias fui para ai site da apple em Espanha e não consegui ver nada para comprar. Comecei a fazer comparações e nada. O Mac Mini já ia em 800€

Resumindo: Software excelente (não incluo jogos pq não jogo) mas hardware caro e a limitar a quantidade de utilizadores do excelente software.

A Apple quer mesmo atacar o mid-end market...os iMacs/iBooks andam a baixar mto de preço...além de irem todos começar a trazer 512MB nas próximas revisões...coisa que nao era normal na Apple à uns anos atrás.

Eles ou aproveitam o hype do iPod pra venderem macs pra home-use ou entao nunca mais saiem do mesmo patamar.

Só não percebi uma coisa, esse senhor fala no Mac dos dias de hoje como "open and good", no "good" até concordo, agora o "open" não percebo onde vai buscar essa ideia.

Querem-me esclarecer? Está-me a escapar algo?

Pk é das poucas empresas que vende computadores montados, que podes abri-los e mexer à vontade sem perderes a garantia...aliás, a Apple até dá manual de instrucções para abrires as máquinas caso nao seja uma coisa óbvia (o caso dos iMacs G5 por ex). Penso que seja disso que ele fala, pois Dell's, HP's e afins nao têm esta política.

greven disse:
Mas o Mac é isso, Metro. Um OS excelente para "puxar" o pessoal a comprar um Hardware bastante caro. :)

Enquanto assim for terei que passar:(

kidloco disse:
Eles ou aproveitam o hype do iPod pra venderem macs pra home-use ou entao nunca mais saiem do mesmo patamar.

Agree

só para esclarecer uma coisa...

o mac é caro porque não tem a quota de mercado global que a intel ou a microsoft tem (por exemplo)...

porque ali nada é deixado ao acaso, o software é optimizado para aquele hardware, não existem milhentas de configurações possíveis, o que leva a incompatibilidades...

pagas os materias de construção e o design (cada vez mais importante, se para uns não lhes diz nada, para outros diz e como o dinheiro é de quem o paga...)

é preciso não esquecer também que ao comprarmos um mac, pagamos o hardware e o software... ao configurarmos um pc, se quisermos ter tudo dentro da lei pagamos o SO, mais o software semelhante ao bundle iLife'05, o que coloca o preço dos pc's um pouco mais próximo do dos macs...

a apple é cara, mas não quer dizer que não signifique qualidade, e todos sabemos que esta última tem um preço, uns têm disponibilidade para a pagar, outros vão tendo...

@Metro: dude, mini mac's em .pt sao a 499 euros e ja vi lojas a fazer a 485 euros portanto... caro definitivamente nao é! :P eu vejo o exemplo do ibook que tenho encomendado, 1015 euros com 512 de ram .... que portatil compras por este preço com a "tralha" toda que este tras?

@kidloko: LOL mas duvido que o gajo va mexer no darwin... eh open-source mas n eh aos 3 bikeiros que se mexe nisso :D quanto ao facto de abrir o portatil nao dar cabo da garantia.... 8o nao sabia! fiquei preplexo/entusiasmado!!! nao duvido nada que ao fim do 1o mes ja tenha aberto a maquina!

@INRI: mais uma vez... nao acho os apple's caros! para o que eles trazem, nao acho caro, mais uma vez, o exemplo do mini mac

and so on and so on! Fico contente desta zona do forum ser tao "movimentada" :) sempre da para ter ideias e tirar duvidas! sinceramente estou bastante agradado :)

Grande abraço!

Ontem estive outra vez entretido com um PB17
Que coisa bem feita
É como comparar um BMW a um Hyundai. Os dois fazem mais ou menos a mesma coisa mas um é tão mais agradável de utilizar.

É melhor verificares se funciona assim com portáteis tb :p só tenho a certeza nos desktop computers.

iMac G5 parts you can install yourself
Think you need a new part? You can replace many of your iMac G5's parts yourself.

The iMac G5 is designed to make it easy for you to install replacement parts if you need to. The parts you can install yourself are:

* AirPort Extreme Card
* Memory - DDR 400 MHz (PC3200) SDRAM
* Hard drive
* Optical drive
* Power supply
* LCD display
* Mid-plane assembly

ps: pelo menos ram e bateria ensinam-te a meter (disso tenho a certeza)...o resto é melhor verificares.

ptzs disse:
Só não percebi uma coisa, esse senhor fala no Mac dos dias de hoje como "open and good", no "good" até concordo, agora o "open" não percebo onde vai buscar essa ideia.

Querem-me esclarecer? Está-me a escapar algo?

Simples. Começa logo pela BIOS que é Open. É usado tanto pela Sun como pela Apple, entre outros. Passemos para o kernel. Este é open, é o Mach. O core do sistema operativo é baseado no FreeBSD, é o Darwin e é open. Até há ports para x86. A Api gráfica é open. É o OPENgl. O Cocoa e afins, enfim, o ambiente de desenvolvimento é open. De certa forma é importado do OpenStep (ler o post neste sub-fórum, o que é o Mac OS X). Os compiladores usados são open. É o gcc e afins. A Apple até contribui significamente para o desenvolvimento do gcc e afins para a plataforma PPC (o gcc 4.0 para PPC é um exemplo). Penso que o que ainda não é Open é o, digamos assim, o X. O CoreGraphics, o Aqua, os CoreAudio, etc. Quem estiver mais por dentro que corrija e altere. De qualquer forma o post que acima indico é um bom começo. Também eu estou a re-começar a usar esta cena.

Por acaso já li vários artigos do Paul Graham, bem como os 2 capitulos de introdução a lisp e posso dizer que no geral, gosto de ler os artigos dele. Este sobre Macs, não foi excepção :)

Última edição:
Back