Rosetta@Home Distributed Folding Coming to Xbox 360?

eyeliner

Power Member
xboxrosetta2.jpg

Last week I asked Microsoft to bring Folding@Home to the Xbox 360 to add a boatload of
computing power to the Alzheimer's fight. Well, Folding@Home isn't the only distributed
protein-folding program around, don't-cha know. There's also Rosetta@Home, a program that
happened to receive over $10 million from the Gates Foundation for HIV research last year.

Meanwhile, Xbox Live has been opened to developers via the XNA Game Developers Framework
for about a year, allowing people to develop programs on their own for the system. Like…
folding programs?

When asked about it on the project's message board, head scientist and developer David Baker
said that "we have been discussing this idea with Microsoft quite a bit over the past several
weeks; I will keep everybody posted."

Iiiiiiinteresting. This quote is from last October, so it's unclear as to what the status of this
project is, but we sure hope this rumor has legs. Of course, any serious distributed folding
program would be developed outside of the XNA framework, but it's interesting that this is how
he responded when asked about XNA specifically. Having legions of PS3s helping to cure
Alzheimer's and legions of Xbox 360s helping to cure HIV sounds like something even the most
diehard fanboys can get behind.

–Adam Frucci
Fonte: Gizmondo

:kfold: mesmo na XBOX 360?

eh lá!!

O rosetta@home! Cheira-me a boas noticias! :x2: Finalmente os projectos BOINC tem novidades boas

Última edição:
Isto já se fala há muito tempo, e também em fazer um jogo com a microsoft em que o objectivo é nós irmos movendo a estrutura das proteinas para tentar encontrar um resultado mais baixo.
Mas em concreto nunca se disse nada, a xbox tem algo como 3 P4 a 3.2 e uma gráfica potente... era sem duvida uma mais valia para o projecto Rosetta@home e também para a microsoft.
Assim não é só a sony a dizer que tem um programa para aquele efeito.

"I just met yesterday with Tony Hey, the corporate vice president for technical computing at Microsoft, to discuss this possibility further. Tony and Microsoft have been incredibly supportive of our efforts so far, and he is going to help us try to make this become a reality in the not too distant future." (David Baker)

Pelos vistos pode estar para breve o rosetta@home na xbox, esperemos que sim.

Back