Scribblenauts (5th Cell)

Pure Anarchy

Moderador
Staff
Ainda não vi nenhum tópico sobre este jogo por aqui, que é sem dúvida um dos mais inovadores em desenvolvimento para a DS.

Scribblenauts goes by the concept, "Anything you write, you can use." The hero Maxwell has the power to utilize items in levels called Starites which allow him to later spawn material in the real world for his needs. Ladders, tools, weapons ... goldfish, even. If you can dream it, Maxwell can conjure it, and hopefully both of you can use it to solve your puzzles. The game is being developed by 5th Cell, being the third title released for DS after Lock's Quest and Drawn to Life.
Para explicar melhor o conceito do jogo e como é que vai ser possível criar e interagir com todo o tipo de objectos in-game, aqui fica alguma informação interessante:

IGN: OK. Before we do anything else, fill everyone in on what Scribblenauts is, and how in the heck this game will work. It's a really unique one, so feel free to fire away.

Miah: Scribblenauts is about creation and imagination really. It's our biggest DS title to date, and after spending a lot of time on Lock's Quest and on Drawn to Life, we ended up learning a lot. This is the culmination of everything we've learned as far as understanding how DS works, working visually, technically, and everything along those lines from concept to execution.

What Scribblenauts is about in a nutshell is basically "Anything you write, you can use." That's where the concept really came from. It's the idea of "What if you had all these puzzles, and in order to solve them you can write anything; the limit is your imagination." How you do that is through this character Maxwell. As Maxwell you have to grab in-level objects called Starites, and to do that you can write anything you want, and it'll spawn that object. So if there's a Starite in the tree, you could write "ladder" and then a ladder would spawn. Climb up the ladder, and you grab the Starite.

There're more ways of doing it though obviously. You could write "axe", and then cut the tree down using the object you spawned. You could write "shuriken" and throw that at the Starite in the tree and knock it down. It's all based on real physics and interaction, so there's nothing pre-canned. You could write anything though; imagine you write "goldfish" for some reason, well a goldfish would spawn and sit on the ground. It wouldn't help you at all in that puzzle, but you could do it.
IGN: So how in the world can you keep track of that all? It has to be just a ridiculous list of assets, and then on top of that comes all the art, the animations, the info for all these interactions Maxwell has wit them. How do you even go about doing something like that. It's something – when you really think about how limitless the idea is – us unprecedented, and we're not just talking about "on DS" here…

Miah: Our Technical Director Marius Fahlbusch is one of the founders of the company, so he's been with us for a longtime obviously. When I told him the idea from the beginning other programmers would have backed away from the idea and said "How are we going to do this?" or "No, this is impossible." But he was just like "Yeah, we can handle this. We can tackle this concept." So he got started on a system where everything in the game can be data-driven. We've got this tool that we created in-house called "Objectnaut", so now designers can put in any name of any object, and put in all sorts of data. We're talking AI properties, physical properties, attraction and repulsion to other objects, weight, size, where it splits, can you pick it up, is it flammable or how do elements effect it… really all these things that you need. We're spending a great deal of time just imputing tons and tons of these objects, and once we flesh it all out with this Objectnaut system, we have a hierarchy of data.
IGN: Ok so in the trailer – that people need to check out, by the way – you can see that you write down a ladder and can then climb up it, right? Now could you also turn that ladder on its side and instead light it on fire and the tree would then burn, since it's all made of would.

Miah: You could, yup. You can flip objects, you can take an axe and cut the ladder in half if you wanted – not sure why you'd do it, but you could if you wanted – and even if it wouldn't help anything in that situation you can do it. That's half the fun of the game really. You can just do anything. It's all about messing around with these objects and properties and seeing what you come up with and how you can solve problems. That's what's really fun about showing off this game to people so far. They look at it and say "Wow. So wait, can I do this and this and this" and then of course, yes, you can.
IGN: So when it boils down to it – and I know this is sort of the magician revealing what's behind the smoke and mirrors – but how many words can it really recognize, and how many objects do you really have to make for this game? You can say "dinosaur" or "T-Rex" or "Raptor" and it would all be the same sprite then? How many objects are there really available for players to spawn, and how many words can it sense?

Miah: Well, the answer is that if you can think it, you can write it.
Entrevista completa no IGN -/- Trailer

Última edição:
Não conhecia, muito interessante, como têm sido todos os projectos destes tipos; questiono é realmente a variedade "real" de palavras que possam ser usadas (por exemplo... têm sprites para beaver, mas não terão para todo o reino animal), mas de qualquer forma tem muito potencial.

Sem duvida, conceito muito interessante. Já tinha visto sobre o jogo há algum tempo quando apareceu o trailer, mas já não me recordava do nome do jogo.

Realmente a ideia está lá! Quero ver como é que eles a vão conseguir meter em prática e acima de tudo como fica o resultado final.

Fico atento ;)

PS: O que não falta são jogos da DS sem cover por aqui... é impossível acompanhar tudo. Mario e Luigi 3, por exemplo, também não está por cá. De qualquer forma este, pela sua originalidade, era um "must have" por cá. É bem, Pure Anarchy!

Novos screenshots:

scribblenauts-20090106035315870.jpg
scribblenauts-20090106035316995.jpg

scribblenauts-20090106035308183.jpg
scribblenauts-20090106035311245.jpg

scribblenauts-20090106035312808.jpg
scribblenauts-20090106035314480.jpg

scribblenauts-20090106035302917.jpg
scribblenauts-20090106035304464.jpg

scribblenauts-20090106035305699.jpg
scribblenauts-20090106035306839.jpg

Entrevista:

First, the concrete details: Do you have a publisher for Scribblenauts yet? A release window?

Jeremiah Slaczka, Creative Director:
Yes, we've chosen a publisher. We're in the final stages of talks with them now. Our release window is still slated for this upcoming Fall.

Is the secrecy behind the publisher's identity part of the deal with them, or in some way intended to build anticipation for the game?

JS:
It's more of a timing thing -- the publisher has their own time frame when they want to make the announcement.

I can say we're very happy with the publisher we chose. We feel very confident that they're going to do the best for this game out of all the publishers we talked with.

All of the items have a list of attributes that determine their in-game behavior, right? Can you give us some examples of the parameters? What is the difference, for example, between a croissant and a danish, in gameplay?

JS:
Yes, that's correct. However, the difference, just like in real life, between a croissant and a Danish is minimal at best. They're both pastries. I suppose a Danish is round and therefore could roll, unlike a croissant. But other than that, you eat them.

Have any items turned out to have emergent uses in-game that you didn't expect?

JS:
Oh, all the time. Last week someone gave a bazooka to an elephant, who picked it up with its trunk, and then Maxwell threw a rock at the elephant to see what would happen. Of course the elephant got upset and started shooting randomly to defend itself. It wasn't very accurate - it's an elephant using its trunk to shoot a bazooka after all. But after all those explosions Maxwell didn't survive the ordeal. Still it was pretty funny though.

What is the level structure? For example, do you unlock levels one after another, or is there an initial choice? Is everything unlocked like Bangai-O Spirits?

JS:
Yes, completing a level will unlock additional levels.. But it's not fully linear; players will be able to pick and choose the new levels they want to play.

How do you limit the player's capabilities when they can summon anything? Or have you somehow designed the game so that having anything you need isn't that much of an advantage?

JS:
In some levels we limit the player's capabilities, but for the most part the levels themselves are designed so that using certain objects wouldn't help anyway. Think of it like this: a boat won't help you perform surgery. Just because you could write one, doesn't mean it's helpful in every context.

How do the harder challenges differ from the easier ones? Can you describe a couple of example levels?

JS:
We don't want to give anything away too early, but there's a definite ramp up in difficulty as levels progress. As the game progresses levels require multiple steps to solve, and people will need to be more creative to think of a good solution.

Is Scribblenauts as story-oriented as Drawn to Life and Lock's Quest?

JS:
No, definitely not. We do love to add deep stories to our games, but it just didn't fit with Scribblenauts. The story is very minimal.

Have you had any trouble making the concept work within the DS's technical limitations?

JS:
No, not really. We've actually done pretty well in that aspect. People assume the DS as a handheld, is always limiting, which isn't entirely true. Every title is unique with it's technical challenges, but for Scribblenauts, the DS has been great thus far!

Will there be any way to share your crazy arrangements of stuff, or to show it off? Some kind of online integration?

JS:
We can't say anything about online functionality at this time.

Can you give us any hints about future projects?

JS:
Well, honestly we're really focused on Scribblenauts and one additional original title we're working on. We want to get these titles right, so everyone in the company is working hard toward that goal. But console development is definitely in our future.

Is the new project also on the DS?

JS:
Yes, it is on the DS and again it's an original IP, but then all of 5th Cell's titles are. So I guess that's not such a great hint.

Your company has made its name on the DS. Do you have any plans for development specifically for the upcoming DSi? What do you think of the system?

JS:
I think the DSi is a very interesting platform. We had a chance to check it out, and we have some very unique ideas that utilize the DSi's new functionality in innovative ways, but it's just a matter of making a high level, corporate decision on which platform(s) is best for us. So for now, it's a bit too early to say anything.

Here's the obligatory question: are these five items (basically just five nouns off the top of my head): Library, tailor, nutria, ebelskiver pan, pantsuit, summonable in-game?

JS:
I thought nutria was some kind of food, but I looked it up in our list and it's there. Alternatively, it's called a coypu. I mean, honestly we have so many words in the game now, without checking our database, there's no way I'll know what's in there. But everything you said is in the game already. Though ebelskiver pan is a great try!
Fonte: http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/20/joystiq-interview-scribblenauts-jeremiah-slaczka/

Última edição:
Bem... simplesmente espectacular :wow:

Esqueci-me completamente deste jogo... agora vejo tudo isto e tenho o mesmo sentimento. Finalmente percebi como se vai jogar a isto (simplesmente brutal!!!). O replay value neste jogo é... infinito!! E o Gaminger não queria um level editor? Pois bem... aqui tem um, num jogo em que faz todo o sentido.

O developer walkthroug está óptimo, mas o vídeo da E3 (lá no meio tem uns minutos disto) então... impressionante o que se pode fazer neste jogo.

Questão: quando sai isto? Este é daqueles que farei pre-order. Não sei sinceramente se vão conseguir atingir o climax pretendido com este jogo (mas pelo que vi, está no bom caminho...), mas independentemente disso isto é por si só um conceito que quero ver desenvolvido e que terei todo o gosto em apoiar!

THQ definitely delivers with this game!! :)

Eu lembro-me de ver este trailer há algum tempo atrás.

Depois vi o jogo "Drawn to Life" a venda e comprei-o a pensar que era este.

Eu lembro-me de ver este trailer há algum tempo atrás.

Depois vi o jogo "Drawn to Life" a venda e comprei-o a pensar que era este.

Era bm que não houvessem comparações. O Drawn to Life é um conceito engraçado, mas não passa disso. Eu aluguei o jogo e decidi não o comprar. Não que seja mau, mas é muito pouco profundo. Não há dúvidas que este será bem bem mais profundo, e num conceito que me agrada mais.

Um mistura dos dois, com foco principal no deste... poderia ser algo interessante ;)

Vou transcrever isso para aqui... e vejam o vídeo! É awesome!!!!!!!!!!! (teve de ser Deus a derrotar o Kraken... e o Einstein com medo de Deus - vai contra tudo o que acredita - demonstra bem o que podemos obter do jogo).

This can-you-stump Scribblenauts game is getting even more absurd. Einstein? Got him. The Kraken? Of course. We were even told they put Crecente in but cut him at the last minute. Still, Keyboard Cat remains.

Because this entire game is a nonsequitur, it needs an establishing sentence. In Scribblenauts (for the DS), you're given a 2D landscape to traverse, and the seemingly limitless ability to conjure persons, animals and instruments to help you get through it, just by typing in the word. This, of course, comes as close to the Vulcan ideal of infinite easter eggs in infinite combinations as possible.

In the following video, Nintendorks even called on God, who frightened off Einsten (because "God does not play dice with the universe," as they helpfully point out). Cute. But the existence of Keyboard Cat and his brother-in-memes Longcat should show just how deep (and warped) the thinking of developer 5th Cell runs.

Joystiq got pics of both kittehs. In fact, the creative director for 5th Cell - not sure what word summons him - can be seen breakdancing to Keyboard Cat's tunes. This game is going to be bizarre.

in http://kotaku.com/5281507/scribble-off-the-keyboard-cat

Vídeo:
:arrow: God vs. Kraken

alguma info da nintendo power :
  • 280 stages made up of either Puzzle stages (complete an objective to get the Starite) or Action stages (get the character to the Starite).

• -"A par system that challenges you to beat levels using the fewest objects possible and a limit system that prevents you from repeating solutions on subsequent playthroughts add extra layers of playability, while a custom level editor ensures that the game could quite literally be limitless."

• at one point there was a glitch that allowed two bunnies to multiple infinitly until the game crashed and another error that allowed an elephant pick up a bazooka with its trunk and fire it madly
"Well, the game started out featuring an astronaut that traveled to different worlds to help inhabitants by using his writing ability, but the character felt too generic and faceless. Eventually I decided there wasn't a need for a story in the game, and the astronaut changed into Maxwell, the Scribblenaut! The Title was originally a placeholder name, but it was unique and catchy, so we decided to keep it" -- Jeremiah Slackza, creative director
"The game has so many words that I doubt people will find them all. Having rare, obscure, and silly words that are missing from the game is unfortunately inevitable, but we know people will enjoy the amount of words we've put in there." -- Jeremiah Slackza, creative director

Para aqueles que ainda nao tao convencidos:

I had played all the big titles at E3. Private showings of God of War III, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake. But at 4:00 on Thursday, I was wondering around the show floor, wondering what else I had to see. I saw a small little booth for "Scribblenauts!" in the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment section. I mean, who goes to that booth? But I remember hearing about it on GAF, and so I decided to check it out.

Best game of E3? Without a fucking doubt. Anyone who says otherwise did not play Scribblenauts. Best game of all time? Jesus Christ, I don't know, maybe. It's a game that challenges your IMAGINATION. No other game has ever done that.

So listen to this story. I was in the early levels; I didn't quite have an idea of how ridiculously in-depth the database was. I was summoning things like ladders, glasses of water, rayguns, what have you. But I reached a level with zombie robots, and the zombie robots kept killing me. Rayguns didn't work, a torch didn't work, a pickaxe didn't work. In my frustration, I wrote in "Time Machine". And one popped up. What the ****? A smile dawned on my face. I hopped in, and the option was given to me to either travel to the past or the future. I chose past. When I hopped out, there were fucking dinosaurs walking around. I clicked one, and realized I could RIDE THEM. So I hopped on a fucking DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the shit out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES. This game is unbelievable. Impossible. There's nothing you can't do.

Holy fucking shit.
Fonte

Back