1. Este site usa cookies. Ao continuar a usar este site está a concordar com o nosso uso de cookies. Saber Mais.
  2. Consulta o Portal de Jogos da ZWAME. Notícias, Artwork, Vídeos, Análises e muito mais.

Remover anúncio

Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness Preview

Discussão em 'Jogos - Discussão Geral' iniciada por Korben_Dallas, 15 de Janeiro de 2003. (Respostas: 44; Visualizações: 2871)

1. Korben_Dallas

Korben_Dallas Zwame Advisor

In the modern era of videogames, no leading lady is as iconic as Lara Croft. Making her debut in 1996 in Tomb Raider, Lara thrilled PlayStation, Saturn, and PC gamers with a fresh exploration adventure. From her modest video-game beginning she has burst onto the mainstream, with a movie based on her adventures and more recently gracing the cover of Entertainment Weekly. Although Lara the star is shining brighter than ever, her last few digital outings weren't as well received. Core Design aims to change all that by bringing her back with modern gaming sensibilities and a darker story. The result is Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness and it's shaping up to be Lara's most thrilling adventure yet.

As the title implies, the game's undertones put the beautiful leading lady in a more sinister setting. Although full details haven't been revealed at this time, the new game will have murder, cabals, occult, and all sorts of cheery elements. To kick things off, Lara goes to Paris at the behest of her mentor Von Croy. Upon her arrival she finds him dead -- clearly a victim of murder. Unfortunately, the authorities have pegged her as the prime suspect, so she's on the run. This inauspicious beginning is a far cry from fending off some bear in a cave.

The developers maintain that this is what gamers were crying for. "That decision was made more by the industry than by us," said Jeremy Heath-Smith, managing director of Core. Adding, "Two and a half years ago we were looking at the market and where it was going to go. We knew she had to do something different, but we weren't sure what. Do we send her to space? Do we do something completely different? After some research we found that people wanted an edgier character. So we made this mysterious storyline involving the cabal and involving this cult. It brings together this sense of darkness, which is where we ultimately wanted to take Lara."

While circumstances are more difficult for Lara, the gameplay should be anything but. I got to play the Paris level for a bit and was surprised at how smooth the transitions in movement were. Perhaps influenced by Lara's mainstream stardom, Core is putting a strong effort into making The Angel of Darkness flow more like a movie and less like a game. Any object Lara can interact with has a large lock-on area; if she walks up to something she can interact with, the proper action will occur accordingly. This makes things more convenient for the gamer -- especially casual ones -- as they can focus more on the game's challenges and less on fighting the camera.

Changing the controls was another tenet for the development team. "The Tomb Raider games set the standard of controls for third-person games. I'm not convinced that's a good thing, because I thought the controls were only okay. We went back to the drawing board with the controls and asked, 'How are we going to make this easier to get into?' The first thing we put in was walking up to objects that Lara can interact with and letting her use them without hitting an action button. So straight away, the gameplay flow is very, very smooth," said Heath-Smith. He's also fully aware that the new control scheme -- like anything else new -- is a bit risky, noting, "I still don't know if we have it 100 percent on the pad, but we have a far more intuitive control because of the fact that she can go to things and grab on when she's doing things like climbing up a drain pipe or walking up stairs. She just goes up to them and it flows smoothly. You don't have to press circle to start an action. We've spent a lot of time on this."

As I continued through Paris, I was forced into many situations that required stealth. For a second there I thought Solid Snake sprouted bosoms. I started to wonder if old-school Tomb Raider fans would dig all this creeping around. Heath-Smith sensed what I was thinking and remarked, "Initially there is more of an emphasis on stealth, but we went back and tuned the game and balanced it out. Now there will be more stealth in beginning -- in the Paris stage where she has no weapons. Yes, she can do all the new and cool things, but first and foremost, this is a Tomb Raider game. Although she can do all these cool and new things, it shouldn't change and it doesn't change what the game is all about. And that should keep longtime fans happy."

After I was done gallivanting through Paris, the producer took back the controls and showed me a bunch of Lara's new moves. She's definitely not the stiff-armed shooter I remember on the PSone, that's for sure. She has a new array of side flips, jumps, and rolls that would make a gymnast jealous. The most impressive thing was when she was climbing a rock wall; the animation was really smooth and natural. It really looked like a person was climbing on a jagged surface rather than some polygon model floating on a texture.

Heath-Smith is very proud of his girl's new moves, stating, "We needed to make Lara bigger and better. Anyone can increase polygon count by a thousand times, but we needed to go one better. Lara's always been known for her animation. She has always been beautifully animated. She's always had a lot of moves, but realistically, what we needed to do was add features that go further. For example, the rock climbing -- free climbing on rock faces or on walls where she can get a handhold or a foothold -- that took a lot of research and a lot of pain because we weren't prepared to put that in unless it felt awesome. Up until three months ago, that wasn't going in, because we couldn't get it. We just couldn't get it. But after a lot of time and a lot of effort we nailed it."

Another new addition is power-ups. Throughout the game Lara will find various power-ups for her lower and upper body. In one sense in makes the game more of a fantasy, but the way it's integrated makes it more realistic. "We're using this concept of power-ups: upper-body and lower-body power-ups. This is something Lara never had to do before. She always had unlimited ammunition and could hang onto things forever, Heath-Smith commented. "We're making things more realistic. For example, if she had to shimmy around a building while hanging on by her fingertips, she can't do that for 25 minutes. She's going to have a limited amount of time to do that, but what you can do is get a power-up. This will let her hang on a bit longer. It was natural progression for the Tomb Raider experience to go that way."

My demo ended with a brief tour of the game's other stages. There was a town in Prague, catacombs in Paris, and something called the Bio Dome. As all manner of Pauly Shore jokes raced through my head, I got it back together to notice the game's graphics. Obviously with the power of the PS2, this will be the best-looking Tomb Raider game ever, but this is where the last few months of development will be vital. I see what Core is trying to do; it's attempting to make the game more like an interactive movie than a traditional videogame. "It has a more interactive feel to it for sure. We've brought the levels in quite tight. We've made the levels extremely detailed, so you really feel like you're in that room or in that environment," claims Heath-Smith.

Like its leading lady, Core Design is in a dangerous new world. It's trying to do new things with its most famous property -- experimenting with new controls, graphics, gameplay mechanics, etc. Nobody is certain if it can pull it off, but masses of people are watching and waiting. We'll see if Lara can duplicate her success or not, but for now Eidos and Core have brought back some of the excitement of superstar Lara back to video-game Lara. •
    fonte: gamespy.com
  2. JCmendes

JCmendes Power Member

quando sai..quando sai..quando sai...???????????

Minha larinha :D :D :D :D
  3. possessed

possessed Full Throttle BOINC Roller

será que não vai ser mais do mesmo com graficos melhores e mais 2 ou 3 passos de dança por parte da lara?
  4. [siLciR]

[siLciR] Power Member

acredito que assim seja .......... bem mas como n gostei dos outros n vai ser desta que vou gostar.....
  5. Fivewin

Fivewin Power Member

Ou umas novas medidas??
  6. Korben_Dallas

Saca uns vídeos do jogo (especialmente o promocional) e apercebes-te logo que muita coisa mudou. Pelo menos a nível de história agora quanto à mecânica do jogo só quando lhe puser as patas em cima. Tenho pena é de ainda não ter ouvido falar de veículos... os do Tomb Raider 2 RULARAM.

PS: Tomb Raider 1 é para mim um dos melhores jogos de SEMPRE. O Tomb Raider 2 também.
  7. possessed

para mim o jogo do género que ainda não tem rival é mesmo o Shadowman, a história é pura e simplesmente espectacular, foi mesmo um dos maiores videos.

"For we are many!"
  8. Caveira

Caveira Power Member

vamos la ver, se os graficos forem so um bem melhores, mais actualizados, ja mete as coisas diferentes pois todos nos sabemos k os graficos do jogo foram sempre Minimos! Agora, se eles estao a fazer do jogo, um autentico filme de fantasia, epa, pelo o k li, acho k vou adorar, eu gosto do jogo +/-, mas desta maneira... tenho a impressao k Core Design aprecebeu-se k o jogo tava a morrer e agaro vai sai sair com qualidade, pelo menos, ai uns 82% vai merecer quase de certeza, eu espero...:)

olhem so pra os movimentos do corpo dela na imagem... ?? realisticos ñ?

FELiYCORA 1st Folding then Sex

épa ja se vêm movimentos nas fotos? LOL tava a brincar... é pa pelo ke parece os graficos tao melhores e fisicamente a Lara esta mais real... os tais movimentos...
  10. Caveira

Caveira Power Member

o detalhe na personagem ta pra ai 3X melhor, agora, os mapas, ja nao e akela porcaria nojente cubica!!!:D
  11. Korben_Dallas

Me exigentes são vocês... o 1º jogo para o seu tempo estava EXCELENTE e o 2º também a partir daí é verdade que continuou na mesma :(

Eu pessoalmente fiquei de boca aberta com o Tomb Raider 1 (joguei em todas as plataformas) e para mim é dos melhores jogos de sempre.
  12. Caveira

Caveira Power Member

tens ai muita razao Korben, mas o facto e k o jogo nao evolui la grande coisa ate o Tomb Raider 5, mas pra dizer a verdade, nestas ultimas tenho andado a jogar Chronicles (k 1 amigo meu m emprestou) e a tentar apanhar todos os Secrets...}> lol. tb ñ tenho quase nada pra jogar!:D
  13. Baía

Baía Power Member

Tomb Raider é um SHOW! O Jogo já está imortalizado! Quem é que não se lembra dele quando foi lançado para Saturn e PSx?
    Que outro jogo conhecem vocês que tenha chegado a uma 5ª versão???? É um dos jogos mais envolventes que já alguma vez joguei!!!! E nem que a diferença deste para os outros seja só a Lara a coçar a xoxa... de certeza que me vai roubar muitas horas em que poderia estar a fazer coisas úteis!!!
  14. Korben_Dallas

O Last Revelation também merece reconhecimento porque é GIGANTESCO e tem níveis bastante interessantes. No entanto não conseguiu deixar de ser algo repetitivo...
  15. possessed

ora bem deixa cá ver, podemos começar pelo série NFS, que dos 6 já existentes (sem contar com o 2SE) evoliu quase sempre mais do que somente os gráficos, à grande excepção do NFS4 que para mim mais valia a pena não ter saído.
    Podia ir tb para muitos jogos de desporto mas não era muito bom pois podia-se falar em que era necessário ser actualizado todos os anos (se bem que a o fifa em certas alturas chega a sair 2 vezes por ano). AH, quase que me esquecia, o Final Fantasy já vai na 10a versão, a caminho da 11a (ou é na 11ª a caminho da 12ª?? ??) uhm?

Mas isso tb pode não ser bem assim, Existem jogos que têm uns 2 pares de anos que ainda são jogados por milhares de jogadores por esse mundo fora. Chama-se a isso longevidade e é aí que peca muito o TB, é que uma vez chegado ao fim perde um pouco a piada ter de fazer tudo de novo só para não ter de arrumar logo o jogo na prateleira e ficar lá a apanhar pó.
  16. Baía

Baía Power Member

Não tem nada a ver uma coisa com a outra...

Há quanto tempo jogas NFS????
    Há quanto tempo existe FF????? (há tomates de tempo mesmo)
    Há quanto tempo já rola o FIFA, NHL e NBA's e parecidos???? (é óbvio que estes jogo têm que ser actualizados, acho que não tinha muita pica estar actualmente a jogar FIFA com o Pelé no Brasil e o Eusébio em Portugal, ou NBA Live com o Magic Johnson nos Lakers)

Compara o tipo de jogo que era o TR (o primeiro) com o que é actualmente... são bastantes "semelhantes" a nível gráfico (dentro do possível, claro)!!!

Compara um NFS, um FF ou um FIFA (os primeiros) com o que são actualmente (é a mesma coisa que comparares um "pudim com um cagalhão")

Desculpa mas acho que aí a opinião é unânime... qual é o jogo que dá pica jogar quando chegas ao fim????? (tirando aqueles em que te podes picar em rede com os teus amigos!)
  17. possessed

é pá "o meu primeiro NFS" foi 2, o 2SE era lindo na minha voodoo2. E tanto o NFS como o TB são da mesmo altura pois compara os dois para ver qual foi o ponto de evolução tomada por ambos. Se te pegasse no exemplo do Test Drive é que já terias mais razão, mas não é o que se passa.

consigo assim de repente arranjar-te alguns, Grim Fandango, Recoil, Carmageddon, os Metal Slugs, Quake.....
  18. Baía

Baía Power Member

Foi qual???? o quê???? o 2....??? ahhhhhhh o 2....

Chegar ao fim de Quake e jogá-lo outra vez???? dscp lá... mas quem faz isso tb joga TR outra vez dps de chegar fim...

Isso já é amor ao jogo...

Qualquer jogo que se chegue ao FIM é óbvio que perde todo o interesse em ser jogado... a não ser que, claro, tenhas "amor" ao jogo!!! Mas isso acho que não devia entrar em discussão... pk gostos não se discutem
  19. Ocirgam

Ocirgam Suspenso

20. Baía

Baía Power Member

Por acaso até que me parece que o NFS (o primeiro) não dista assim tanto dos tempos de TR (o I).... mas mesmo assim não tem comparação possível... um é um jogo de carros, mais que batido!!! Quantos jogos de carros já não havia na altura??? E quantos não foram lançados dps???? Isso já está mais que visto e batido...

Agora TR??? Quantos jogos do mesmo género é que haviam na altura??? Quantos é que ainda há actualmente???? É indiscutível, Tomb Raider é um JOGO ÚNICO e imortalizado?!?!?!

Partilhar esta Página