Wii [Wii] Factor 5 na Wii (Rogue Squadron?)

:rolleyes: será que alguma vez concordas comigo?

:p

o que eu queria dizer era que repararam que pelos gráficos não vão chegar longe por isso tentaram de outra forma

ou algo do género
Desculpa, mas sim concordo, mas quis meter virgulas. :p

Lembro-me por exemplo do Koji Kondo a dizer na GDC que era claro que não dizia não ao Dolbi Digital, concordava é que podia esperar (bom, provavelmente não por estas palavras), mas creio que em tudo à volta da Wii foi nessa onda... Não foram para o "Ok, o que é que queremos" mas sim para "Ok, o que precisamos?"; ninguém diz não a mais poder, e o HD a estar lá seria uma mais valia, eles consideraram foi que eram sacrifícios dignos de serem feitos; no entanto não considero a Wii fraca para o que é... considerando que é SD; não há justificação possivel para algumas aberrações que por aí andam.

Nada de concreto, nem propriamente referente às capacidades da Wii, mas aqui fica:

We recently had the opportunity to sit down with Factor 5 boss man, Julian Eggebrecht, and we asked him whether another Rogue Squadron game might be a possibility. "I would go back to another Rogue Squadron in the Classic Star Wars universe. I still can't relate much to the new trilogy, so LucasArts can keep that. But, yeah, if it would be Classic and if we could find a new hook..."

If the series was revisited in the future, however, Eggebrecht wouldn't simply settle for old mechanics boosted with improved fidelity. "It can't be just to redo it in HD," he explains. "The Star Wars universe being relatively grey was actually represented really well last-gen already and so I don't think the HD step would be a huge jump forward. It would be much more about gameplay. What would probably excite me the most in Star Wars at this point is probably the lightsaber with motion control, things like that. But that wouldn't be Rogue Squadron."

And while Eggebrecht thinks motion-sensing was a perfect fit for conveying the feeling of flying a dragon in Lair, he would be more hesitant employing a similar control scheme for manoeuvring Star Wars' iconic vehicles. "If I was to do a game with an X-wing, I don't know if I'd necessarily use motion control. It might be [analog] stick, because that is how you'd be controlling the craft - it might be more appropriate."

So, there's a glimmer of hope for fans but, unfortunately, while Eggebrecht admits that he would return to the Rogue Squadron series, it's certainly not an imminent project in the Factor 5 development pipeline, saying with a smile that, "there's a ton of other cool things to work on..."
Fonte: http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/ga...ctionId=1006&releaseId=2005138888000000020735

Official: Factor 5 Back on Wii

Company president confirms that it's making at least one non-Virtual Console project for Nintendo's new system.

The maker of the hit GameCube series Rogue Squadron is back. In a phone conversation with IGN Wii this morning, company president Julian Eggebrecht confirmed that the studio is underway with at least one all-new Wii project -- and it's not a Virtual Console game. Beyond that confirmation, Eggebrecht was mum, but he did note that the new title would not simply re-use old Rogue Squadron tech; whatever it is, significantly updated or even completely new tech has been developed to help accommodate it. Factor 5's previous title, Lair, released for PlayStation 3 to mixed reviews. However, it is worth noting that the developer is intimately familiar with the GameCube hardware, whose technology extends to Wii. Not only did Factor 5 work with Nintendo to develop GameCube's audio solution, but it pushed the console harder on a graphics level than just about every other studio, Nintendo included. Bearing that in mind, fans can rest assured that whatever the company's new Wii game is, it's a safe bet that it'll look good and push the hardware.
At one time, Factor 5 was pegged to develop a sequel to Pilot Wings for the then-codenamed Revolution. Nintendo even went so far as to list the San Rafael-based studio as a "partner" in its official E3 presentation. Since that time, though, the company has been busy with the PS3-exclusive Lair and thus, work on any Pilot Wings sequel is thought to have been halted or cancelled altogether. Incidentally, IGN believes Factor 5's Wii title is an altogether different beast.
We'll have much more on the project as information becomes available. For now, though, Nintendo fans who loved the Rogue Squadron games should be happy to know that one of GameCube's best contributors is now lending its support to Wii.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/845/845353p1.html

Mais informações:

A short while ago Factor 5 president Julian Eggebrecht confirmed to IGN Wii that the developer, best known for its Star Wars Rogue Squadron titles, had at least one new project underway for Nintendo's Wii console. At DICE 2008 in Las Vegas last week, Eggebrecht shed some light on the mystery game.

The San Rafael-based developer has always been known for getting the most technically out of the consoles it works on and it looks like it will endeavor to use all of Wii's horsepower, too.

"We want to push the hardware. I think for us it's relatively easy for us to push the hardware. It inherently comes. But a lot of it is about exploiting the uniqueness of the Wii. I mean, on the graphical side, we're going to try and do everything to outdo everything else on the platform, the same as we did for the Star Wars games back on the GameCube," said Eggebrecht. "But one of our main focuses is the innovation around the controls. Everybody is always talking about the motion control, but I think people are overplaying that a bit. I really, really love the pointing aspect of the remote. Although we're going to use everything for what we have in development, I think the pointing stuff is probably the biggest innovation which we're working on right now."

Asked about the Wii game's state of completion, Eggebrecht responded: "We're pretty much at a state where we're almost done with the engine. At the same time, we've also been working on content quite a bit because we had enough running very quickly on the platform that we were able to. But the biggest milestone or mark right now is that we're almost done with the engine and it does everything that the PS3 did and then some, quite frankly. So we're pretty happy with that.

"It's not just what a lot of people were expecting. 'Oh, we're going to cash in on what we had from Rebel Strike.' Which we actually also did. That was a fun experience just to bring that game over and play it on Wii. Nevertheless, we said, well, weighing the pros and cons, why don't we do something completely new based on all the experience we had back then? So, that's almost done."

Before it began development on Lair for PS3, Factor 5 was linked to create Pilot Wings for Nintendo's then-codenamed Revolution system. What ever happened to the project and has Eggebrecht given up on the idea of creating a similar flying game?

"We'd never give up on the idea of making a flying game. Maybe a pure flight game, I don't know about that because it limits you a little bit. Flight can be involved, though -- our engine is strong around it. If it lends itself and the game design to it, it certainly can be an element.

"What happened back then. It was 2004 and I think, quite frankly, it came down to us wanting and needing to move on to the next-generation consoles. Nintendo at that point in time hadn't made up their mind, and I don't blame them, what the next-generation for them meant. We, of course, assumed that it was going to be something in the same vein of Microsoft and Sony, so we were kind of prodding and pushing them a little bit. We were saying, 'Come on guys. The road is pretty obvious. Why don't we get going on developing something in that vein because we all know where it's going to lead?' And they -- now in hindsight, of course, I know why -- but they always told us, 'No, why don't you keep it down? Don't think about 10 million polygons more. We're trying to figure something out here.' It was very mysterious throughout the year. Quite frankly, simple business matters happened. We had to run a studio, we had to pay people. And we had to jump onto something. That something at the time was basically the other upcoming consoles. Those guys were very aggressive as partners and at the time we didn't want to lay off anybody, and we needed the cash. So we happily went along with that also expected that sooner or later we could translate it back to whatever Nintendo came up with. Of course, we were blown away when they said, 'This is it, by the way,' which happened way later. So that's I think also why there were never any hard feelings. I think Nintendo knew what was going on with us and that to a certain degree that the time lapse forced us into how things happened. We never, ever had any bad break up, or anything like that. Which is also the case with Sony, by the way. We love the guys at Sony. So if we have another game which we want to work on with them, we would love to and I don't see any reason why not. Things there are a little overhyped on the Internet where people basically think that we all spit into each others' faces, which isn't the case at all."

Journey backward into Factor 5's history and you will eventually find the Turrican franchise, which will, it seems, be making a comeback, both on Virtual Console and perhaps as an all-new game -- most likely for PS3 or Xbox 360.

"You probably have seen the ESRB Wii ratings. There was quite a bit news going around that last year for Wii, which obviously means Virtual Console. So there might be something brewing there and we hope very, very soon there will be something there," said Eggebrecht. "And in general, what we have working on internally is thinking about how to bring that into 3D. I mean, taking a close look certainly at Metroid -- at what these guys did. Taking a close look at other old franchises from the 2D days which were brought into the future. I don't think we're at a point yet where it's full-blown and we're one-hundred percent set in a direction and everybody on the team is certain that this is the way it should go, but we're making headway. It will come back. It's definitely coming back in the old incarnations -- don't worry about that. But I also think that we will bring it into the future pretty soon."

Does Eggebrecht have any final words for Nintendo fans anticipating the company's Wii project? You bet.

"Whatever we're working on will at least blow you away in a lot of the technical aspects. We're really trying to do everything to squeeze the maximum out of the machine," he said. "I'm also hoping we're going to pay respect to what the console is all about, which is the innovation in terms of controls, in terms of accessibility, new experiences, things like that. We're really, really trying hard. I hope it's going to pay off. In terms of what we're working on; is it for third-party publishers, is it for a Nintendo first-party, what title is it? I won't give you a clue."
Fonte: http://wii.ign.com/articles/851/851287p1.html

:) A ver o que aí vem

A Factor 5 sempre soube dar um bom uso ao hardware de uma consola Nintendo, basta ver o Rogue Squadron II para a Gamecube.
E esse foi "só" um jogo de lançamento feito em 6 meses, eles na sequela conseguiram duplicar os poligonos por segundo sem prejudicar a framerate (e tem de longe o recorde de jogo que puxou mais poligonos na geração passada, até para a das HD não passa vergonhas). E ainda restam os mitos urbanos (mas prováveis) de que eles para fazerem mais shaders já andavam a manipular a TEV pipeline directamente via CPU :p

(as missões a pé é que...)

Pessoalmente... vejo muito potencial na Factor 5 se licenciasse as engines que faz, seriam middlewares óptimos (engine do Lair incluida)

Espero para ver este jogo então, se cumprir o que promete será uma óptima estalada de luva branca noutras third party's pelo menos no departamento gráfico.

Vá lá... terminaram a entrevista prometendo que o jogo não seria apenas para provar como eles são bons a "vomitarem" shaders e polígonos a 60fps… que querem aproveitar as capacidades únicas da Wii.
Por mim até podiam fazer isso, desde que fosse para mostrar a engine e a colocassem à venda.

Factor 5 com problemas financeiros:

Factor 5 Animator Claims Studio is Cutting Projects
Studio may need to lay off employees if funding isn't found.

Developer Factor 5 is facing tough choices due to our bad economy, according to a blog post from Sam Baker, an animator for the company. Baker explains that after a two-week foray to work with California-based animation studio The Orphanage, he came back to Factor 5 and found that none of his fellow employees had been paid in the past month. His team continued on their current project, but then had their health care benefits taken as a cost-saving measure.

Next, the company told employees that they had to shutter the current project due to insufficient funds. "We figured it wasn't a problem, however, because there were still other projects that needed us," he said. But most recently, Baker claims that Factor 5 president Julian Eggebrecht told the employees that they need funding in a week, or employees may need to start looking for other jobs. This is all the word of one blogger, so without official comment from the company we'll file it as a rumor for now. We can hope that the situation isn't as dire as it sounds, but if it is Factor 5 may need to start letting go of employees within the next week.

Baker doesn't mention any of the projects the company had in the pipeline, but we know that the company was working on a Wii title, rumored to be a new entry in the Rogue Squadron series, or a revival of the SNES classic Pilotwings. Factor 5's last big game was Lair, which was received harshly by critics due to imprecise motion controls. The company has been known for pushing hardware, so fans hoped the next game would showcase their skills. Unfortunately, due to the bad economy, they may never get the chance. We'll keep you posted as we learn more.

UPDATE -- As some have noted in the comments below, Baker has deleted all of his former entries, and updated his blog with a new post explaining the situation away as a misunderstanding. We've taken a careful look at the cached version of his original post, and still believe in the accuracy of our first report.
In his new post, Baker claims that the misunderstanding came from the recent loss of Brash Entertainment, and that none of the projects at Factor 5 have been stopped. "This does not mean that we've stopped production on that game, or that it was even in trouble," he said. But in his original post, he stated, "without proper funding on the project I was working on, the company was forced to stop production." He and his coworkers decided to stay at the company despite the canceled project and lack of pay because, "if we left, there would have been no hope in F5 staying afloat."

Regarding the overall health of the company, Baker's new post says that "the other projects currently under way at Factor 5 are doing great." However, in his original post he stated, "the president of the company basically told us that if we didn't receive funding in 1 week, all of us should move on and look elsewhere for another job. ... I have 1 more week left at Factor 5." The "we" here could be referring only to his team and their canceled project, or Factor 5 as a whole.

This is a sensitive subject both on a personal and corporate level, so it could be that Baker was asked to take it down by his employers, but we can't be sure. We sympathize that this likely a hard time for Baker due to the possibility of his studio closing, and we wish him and his coworkers the best of luck if Factor 5 does need to lay off employees or close its doors.
Fonte: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3171691

Isto quer dizer que não vai haver kid icarus para ninguém?

A nintendo bem que podia adquirir a factor 5...

Isto nem se sabe bem se é verdade, se foi engano, se é correcção, etc etc...

Agora... vamos partir do pressuposto que a empresa está mal... é um crime... :( Sim, espero que a Nintendo lhe dê a mão. Independentemente disso, mesmo que eles estejam em baixo, a Nintendo não irá permitir que um projecto como o Kid Icarus fique a meio... ;)

Back