Wii Okami

Estou neste momento a terminar Okami na PS2, realmente é dos melhores jogos que joguei nesta geração que passou:) é simplesmente espantoso. Quem ainda não o jogou e tem uma Wii não o pode perder por nada! Até eu que tenho a versão PS2 se encontrar uma versão Wii sou bem capaz de comprar uma:)

Vídeo do Anuncio/conferencia:

-> http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26653.html

Tidbits de como aconteceu:

Capcom had been looking for someone to bring Okami to the Wii in the hopes of reaching a wider audience. Christian Svensson, senior director of research and strategic planning at Capcom, happened to bump into some Ready At Dawn folks at GDC in March, who expressed great admiration for the game. Capcom made them an offer within the week.
Fonte: http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/10/ready-at-dawn-h.html

O presidente da Ready At Dawn, Didier Malenfant, numa entrevista ao IGN UK, revelou que o port de Okami para a Nintendo Wii será exactamente igual à versão originalmente concebida para a PlayStation 2.

No entanto, os controlos serão obviamente reformulados, sendo que as pinceladas artísticas e recheadas de magia, serão agora reproduzidas recorrendo ao também “mágico” Wiimote.

Segundo Malenfant, adicionar novos conteúdos ou aprimorar os visuais seria uma decisão profundamente errada, pois correria o risco de descaracterizar o jogo, e decepcionar os fãs da obra.

Fonte: PTGamers

Intervista oficial: http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/828/828620p1.html

Última edição:
Resposta de Christian Svensson(Capcom's senior director of strategic planning and research) sobre os comentários feitos em vários fóruns que apontam a um possível lazy port de Okami:

A few points here... I get the issues, I really do, but people seem to be missing a few things.

We selected Ready at Dawn to do the port. These guys are all ex-Naughty Dog and ex-Blizzard, and they have already shipped their own titles that have ridiculously high review scores and sales (and have more on the way). Their attention to detail and technical prowess is among the best of any team I've ever worked with.

If we wanted a cheap and dirty port, I could have turned around and picked any one of 50 houses and gotten it done for less and perhaps more quickly. Clearly, that wasn't the approach we sought for a variety of reasons (for the fans, for the reputation of our company, for the potential of the product, etc.).

Lastly, if this were a quick cash in, let's face it, there's TONS of other products that had higher sales on other platforms we could have chosen to port, quickly and cheaply. Okami, as great as it was, wasn't a huge seller on PS2 such that its quick and dirty port would be assured "sales success" on a new platform. We picked a huge game (read: expensive, especially on testing costs), with a ton of moving parts.

So, on the contrary, we have a lot to prove with this game and I know we, and RAD are up to the task. I apologize if I bristle at the accusation that this is a cheap port, but I do.

Given that the only port we've done to date was RE4, which has a 90+ gamerankings score and provided AMAZING value for the platform, has this really been Capcom's modus operendi such that this allegation should be leveled at us? Zack & Wiki is getting better reviews than just about anything you'll see this year on Wii, except possibly Galaxy. Shovelware is not what we do.

As I've said in prior interviews, we're getting the game up and running first. The game is enormous. If after we have everything working correctly, cleanly and as desired so as not to "break" the amazing experience that is Okami, we will worry about potential enhancements. As we are NOT at that point in the process yet, we are loathe to even mention any potential changes or enhancements for fear of disappointing the fans/media.

So for now, if you MUST assume the worst, assume that you will have an amazing 40-60 hour adventure that is one of gaming's most impressive pieces of art to play in fantastic new ways. If you want to hope for the best, well, perhaps we'll have more to say in a few months, but for now we're going to have to ask for your patience.

Fonte:IGN

Fico um pouco mais descansado depois do que li neste comentário/desabafo do sr.Christian Svensson.

O único defeito, como já disseram, é ser um bocado repetitivo, mas batalhas com bosses são do melhor, e quem nunca quis um jogo onde se pode pintar um sol? :D

Retrospectiva do projecto, pela Capcom:

Bringing Back the Wolf (or How Okami Wii Came to Be)

Here’s a fantastic behind-the-scenes on how a game idea becomes a real-live development project, from Capcom’s own Vice-President of Strategic Planning & Business Development, Christian Svensson!

Bringing Back the Wolf

It’s not a mystery that Okami is a much loved game by its fans and the media. It’s won just about every award you can think of. It’s a testament to Clover’s unwavering vision and attention to detail.

That said, it’s also not a secret that the game in its first outing didn’t fare as well sales- wise as a game of its quality deserved. There are many reasons for this, and I’ll touch on at least one, a bit further below.

Your Opinion Matters (No, Really)

But before I do that, I want to talk about feedback Capcom has received from our consumers and how we’re trying to be responsive to it. Okami Wii specifically exists because of that direct communication, especially those we receive on our message boards (even if they’re sometimes mean to us).

Even before the Okami’s PS2 release, the media and Capcom fans would constantly ask us if it was ever going to come to Wii, citing the interface as being ideal for the brush mechanics. Hell, even in the week prior to the Wii announcement, there were questions in our Ask Capcom section, requesting the game (and some hot fan-created Wii packaging too… I’ve already challenged our marketing group to make sure ours is better).

The Lifecycle Factor

After seeing the repeated requests, we started thinking seriously about some of the factors that had gone into Okami’s prior performance (at least in the West, I can’t speak for Japan). One of the major ones (and certainly not the only one), as we saw it, was where Okami arrived in the PS2 lifecycle. Having done the analysis in the past of in which years new IP performs best (and worst), it’s not surprising that it’s not later in the hardware lifecycle, where the active consumers tend to be more price and brand sensitive. But here we were shipping a beautiful, but new and creative title on the PS2 in a year where the 360 had already been on the market for many months and the PS3 and Wii were about to launch. It’s unfortunate that beauty and creativity aren’t always rewarded by the market, but that’s the reality.

The bulk of our core audience was thinking about new platforms. And while there are standout new IP successes like God of War that released that same year (albeit 9 months earlier than Okami), it’s was still an uphill battle no matter how you sliced it.

The Second Shot

So at the same time, we started thinking of several “what if?” statements. What if we took a second shot with Okami’s content on another console? A platform people were repeatedly asking for it on? A platform that could help with some of the core mechanics of the game? And now that it was already semi-known and loved for sure by the media, it’s no longer technically a new IP. It really deserved a second chance. Thankfully, others in our organization felt the same way.

Our team at CEI started putting out feelers to the powers-that-be in Japan to see if this would be something that that wouldn’t trod too heavily on anyone politically. True to form recently, our executives in Japan were supportive of the concept. To set the framework, this was back in January 07 where we first started seriously exploring this project. Wii had shipped about six weeks earlier and I think it’s fair to say, it was exceeding our expectations at the time (though that really wasn’t a major factor in the decision).

We started to see what assets were archived in Japan and what shape they were in. Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, if this was going to happen, we had to find someone who could fill Clover’s much-beloved shoes. This was no small task.

So Who’s Going to Develop This Thing?

We needed a talented developer with a track record for quality for the sake of the title, the sake of the fans and for the sake of our board of director’s approval. This was never going to be a quick turn and burn cash in and some of you may have read my response to those who alleged it was. The project was far too important to do anything other than applying the utmost TLC if we were going to be successful.

Now I’m not our front line dev relations guy, but I do have a fair set of contacts in the development world from my prior career, and I do a lot of business development, so from time to time, I get involved in these searches and almost always in the contract negotiations.

All the same, arriving at Ready at Dawn was really a serendipitous coincidence rather than a brilliantly planned strategy.

It went down like this.

The Power of Beer

I was drinking late night at Jamil Moledina’s suite at GDC (I’ll pick that name back up in a minute), when a friend of mine introduced me to Ready at Dawn’s Co-Founder and Creative Director, Ru Weerasuriya. After he learned I worked at Capcom he began to gush, unbidden, about his love of Okami’s artistry. Obviously, given that this was the work of Clover and Capcom Japan, I certainly couldn’t say much other than to agree with his assessment of the game’s charm. The credit was certainly theirs. This was mid-March 07.

That same evening, RAD had picked up an IDGA award for their work on Daxter, a game that I had respected greatly for its execution. And I was well aware of the team’s heritage and contributions to their prior employers at Naughty Dog and Blizzard (Ru hailed from the latter and you’d probably recognize a lot of his work on some of their biggest games).

We talked for quite a while over more beers and by the end of the conversation, I really liked the cut of Ru’s jib. The things that RAD was really interested in, dovetailed well with where I saw CEI placing its priorities with our fledgling product development operation. I thought that if the rest of the RAD team shared his passion, maybe there was something here? I didn’t mention anything about Okami Wii that night but slyly suggested we touch base the week after GDC regarding a potential opportunity. Ru was intrigued and we agreed to set something up. Truthfully, I wasn’t at all sure they would want to be handling a port given their success with Daxter and their current high-profile project, God of War: Chains of Olympus. I had also heard they wanted to pursue their own IP on future projects. But these things are always worth a chat to explore.

The Pitch

When we had that conversation the following week, I met Didier Malenfant, co-Founder and President at RAD. After some small talk and probing to see if his views of the world were like Ru’s (they were), there really wasn’t any graceful way to broach the matter with Ru and Didier, so I just blurted out “How would you guys like to bring Okami to the Wii?” I don’t quite recall the next thing they said. I think there were a few moments of silence on the other end of the phone as the question sank in.

We ended the conversation with them taking some time to evaluate whether they were interested in taking on the project and if so, what resources they would have available to do the job. I was cautiously optimistic about the prospects of a deal.

The a couple days later, we sorted out mutually agreeable basic terms and we started moving Capcom’s internal green light process forward. Didier himself was going to lead the project (his background is in programming) which gave me a great deal of comfort.

On to Green Light

Our green light process is a bit lengthy. We have multiple levels of approvals internally, numbers have to be generated, project specifications created and in this case, we wanted to have the RAD guys come up and have a look at the assets to see if it was even technically possible. That happened a few weeks later, in April 07.

Again, this is someone else’s code and neither CEI nor RAD was going to be getting any assistance from the busy folks in Japan on the project. It’s not a slam dunk by any means.

The first thing we found that day: the assets were commented in Japanese (duh!) and incomplete (doh!), but the guys were able to figure out the basic structure of things and thought they’d be able to pull it off eventually (even if they had to reconstruct some assets). We managed to put some feelers into Japan and a few weeks later, they found another hard drive with some Okami assets which were sent to us. This was the bulk of what was missing in the prior drop.

I think it was somewhere in May when we received permission to move forward with the full project by our board of directors. Some weeks after that, the team had established technical feasibility and both RAD and Capcom were up for moving to the next level.

Current Status

As it stands today, the team has the game assets converted (quite the laborious process), up and running in a ported version of Clover’s engine. There are still several systems getting set up properly but there’s most definitely a Wii-driven Amaterasu running around Wii-rendered environments as we speak. We’ve got the home videos to prove it (and no, you can’t see them yet, sorry).

As we’ve stated before, Okami is such a huge game (40+ hours to complete isn’t at all uncommon), we aren’t currently planning any additional content but we’re exploring a few possible things on the technical side of things that might make for an improved Wii experience (no promises yet though). Obviously, the biggest change to the game will be the introduction of the Wii motion controls, the details of which we’ll also share at a later date.

In the mean time, the game is on schedule for release in Spring of 2008 and I’m sure you’ll be hearing more from Capcom and Ready at Dawn as we bring new updates closer to release.
Fonte: http://blog.capcom.com/archives/565#more-565

Longo, mas gostei de ler.

Adorei , melhor amei este jogo para a Ps2, imagina para a Wii...
Recomendo a todos vocês comprarem o Okami para a Wii mas se quiserem compram também para a Ps2 , porque para Ps2 é do melhor.

Back