[Wii] Overlord Dark Legend (Codemasters, Climax)

Muito boa essa entrevista, tinha acabado de a ler. Já se torna aborrecido ver esse tipo de atitude por parte dos entrevistadores, a resposta do Dean Scott foi mais que apropriada.

O Overlord original é um bom jogo, vamos ver como é que sai este Dark Legend.

Conversa com a Climax:

[Development status, time] - Jim Walker, senior producer, Climax: It’s going very, very well, we’re on track for a summer release. The game is looking spectacular. We’re very happy with the content, so very well. Developing it for 13 months. A little bit more to go. Don’t have a release date from Codemasters yet.

[Development issues with the Wii] - Walker: have we had problems with the Wii? No, it’s an interesting platform, fun to develop for. Technically it’s also an interesting platform to develop for code-wise. Also, you can have lots of different types of games. No issues to mention, it’s a fascinating platform, so much go to think outside the box, which makes the development exciting.

[Graphical effects they’re using?] - Rudi Perilli (Code Lead): the advanced effects are custom. Our main focus was to have a lot of enemies and a lot of minions. In complex shading we had to low it down a little bit. We’ve got a lot of things going on at screen, we think the game needs a lot of visual feedback to the player, specifically with the Wii remote. When you fight an enemy, it needs to get some feedback to the player, whether that’s some special effects or vibrations. We “went to town on” adding lots of “global” effects, not necessary making individual effects.

[Visual effects] - Rudi: There’re a couple of things that we did to help, they’re separate processes like the really good shadowing system on there. It would go, generally, with "HD" hardware, but we matched to get it working on the Wii hardware. We’ve tried to make it pretty much for the environment, to give that rich and luster feel. (Shadows from trees and leaves)

Walker: yes, our real-time shadow system, that’s exciting, different; it gives us a really nice look. We’ve got bloom effects, 20 minions, 10 enemies on screen. We’ve worked to push the hardware, and there’s a lot going on.

[Use of the TEV unit, we saw advanced effects on GC, nobody using on the Wii] - Rudi: Yeah, we did use the TEV stages, which is essentially the graphic hardware of the Wii has. We did that quite a lot, especially to integrate: we had some real time code which generates them, so the shadows could work with that material like on the fly. That’s it, the way that we managed to get our interesting shadowing system was by manipulating the hardware with the TEV stages. (From scratch) It’s designed very much for the Wii hardware, it’s a custom code written specifically to get high performance out of the hardware.

[More on tech] - Ric Turner (Art Lead): The level of detail that we’ve got on Wii is probably unparalleled at the moment. It’s thanks to the engine that we’re using, but it also is thanks to the techniques that we’re using, as well. We’re using a lot of instant shading, we’re doing visual calling, so when you go around corners things are added on the fly. We’ve managed to pack in an abnormal amount of data in only 64 MB around, so it’s quite an accomplishment.

[Artistic aspect] - Ric: We had to respect the line of Overlord one. We’ve come with a vibrant, maybe more caricatured style than the original Overlord title.

foto_2.jpg

[minions, Overlord customization] - Phil Mansell: We have hundred different hats and weapons from the minions side. They can pick them up from enemies that they kill, they get special unique ones from bosses or from quest rewards, or from finding special minion moments. You get weapons and the upgradeable armour, which helps their performance. You can also find to melt it. They let the Overlord craft new armour, new weapons like a fire sword, ice hammer, different axes. You can upgrade his armour in about ten different types, different elements to affect, and you can also upgrade each of the minions face armour as well. Every time you get a new minion out the ground it’s already got power, they are already powered up. So there are a lot of different ways: you can find stuff around the world and you can craft it yourself, as well. And you see it, yes, the minions are running around with very funny weapons: pieces of wood, flowers, mushrooms... they pick them up from around the world. Same with the Overlord armour.

[Physical map w/game?] - Phil Mansell: We’ve got a world map, which shows the Dark Legend world. I don´t know if there is a physical map in the pack yet; I guess it’s the publisher who decides. Then we got a map of each level and a minimap on screen at the same time.

[Wiimote features, more uses, puzzles] - Phil Mansell: This is a fantasy game and magic is involved, spell is important, so you’ve got a whole range of spells that you can aim and target and use with the pointer. It is kind of a shooter element in there. With the spells you have, you can shoot them straight into the world at the same time you’re commanding your minions or running the Overlord around. The pointer is important to the core gameplay, ordering the minions, you can run the pointer over things in the world, it shows you what that thing does… it has a lot of uses.

In terms of the other stuff the Wii Remote does, it’s got the accelerometer in there. You can pick up a minion and shake it really hard and it turns into a living bomb and you can guide them around. Each different type of minions has its different explosion effects.

Dean: Secondary, we’ve got the melee attacks on the Nunchuk as well. Also, we use de accelerometer for another use: shake up the minions, the Overlord can kill them any time and sacrifice to get manner and health.
No WiiMotion Plus, not available in the devkit, yet. Most of the game is already done, it would’ve meant a delay at this point.

[Voice acting and translation] - Dean: Spanish subtitles but the only VA is in English. Main reason: to keep the personality. Talking to territory offices in Germany France and Holland, those players responded more to having the VA in English than having it in their own language. I don’t really know how that kind of works in Spain. Suddenly, it works in Germany and Holland People go to cinema, they traditionally don’t watch the original English Language Version.

[What or how much is "good expectations"?] - Dean: We’ve just focused on making the best game we can make. If we make a game that we are all proud of, that reviews really well, we can assure the deal. This is the balance involved that we get with the PR and marketing side right now. If we kind of get distracted with this “you need to sell X amount of units, we’ll be taking a while of what’s really important” We know that, ultimately, if we make an Overlord game that is really good, then it will find an audience. Games that is good tends to be the game that sells, that’s all we can focus on from the development side.

[new stuff about the game] - Dean: We know the game plays really well, but that’s not something that we can kind of show to people at this point of time, but what we can show people is the game looks amazing. Because you’ve seen it, you’ve played it, we need to get the message out there as well.
Fonte: http://www.revogamers.net/articulos-394-Dentro-de-Overlord:-Chat-con-Climax-------3.html

Pelo que li, parece-me que a versão Wii do jogo vai acrescentar várias coisas novas ao jogo, em vez de se limitarem a alterar o sistema de controlo. Assim sim.

muito interessante.

e fiquei surpreendido que os alemães queiram VA ingles. sempre que sugero a amigos ver filmes em ingles eles recusam-se

Quem vai gostar de jogar este jogo vai ser o CoolMaster: ..." yes Master!..."

Já joguei o Overlord e expansão para PC e sobretudo fartei-me de rir. É um jogo simples mas tem piada comandar uma carrada de monstros.

Esta bonito o jogo, bom uso de Bloom e a parte da vegetação está com bom detalhe. Infelizmente não dá para verificar no que toca aos inimigos e a outras áreas nesses vídeo (deviam dar mais tempo ao pessoal para jogar :/)

O vídeo está realmente fantástico, mas pareceu-me haver muitas paragens na imagem, sobretudo tendo em conta que havia poucos personagens no ecrã. Outra coisa que não gostei, mas está para ficar, foi o aspecto gráfico da hud - não percebo porque não mantiveram a original. Mas isto é estar a ser picuinhas, claro. No geral o jogo parece excelente.

Mini-entrevista:

Why make Overlord for the Wii?

Dan Robinson, Brand manager:
This is our first time out on the Wii, and we realized quite early on if we just did a port of Overlord onto the Wii, we’d get slighted. And it wouldn’t work because you have to make sure that the game works with the control system. You have to make sure that it hits all the buttons that Nintendo fanboys want. And if it doesn’t, then you’re kind of dead in the water before you’ve even started. So we made sure that the game itself worked with the nunchuk and the Wii remote. The nunchuk controls the Overlord and the Wii remote controls the minions.

Are you concerned that third-party hardcore games haven’t sold as well as Nintendo IP's?

Robinson
: Part of that would be the marketing spending. If it’s a Nintendo game, they put a lot of money behind it. But also, I think fans have got a lot of faith in titles from first-party, and being a third-party, it’s been important for us to get Nintendo on our side and get them really behind the game. They’ve seen it, and they think it’s great because it’s something different. With the original game, fans saw it and they thought they knew what was coming, but then they saw it and thought, “Hang on, this is something different.” It got viewed as “Fable” mixed with “Pikmin.” That was how it was seen, which is no bad thing from our point of view! So I think you’re right, in that first-party titles tend to be more successful, but they tend to get more support. They get on TV, that helps. But I think this title’s got a chance! It’s a good game, it’s something different, and I think if we do it right, it will attract the right sort of audience that will buy it.
I mean, people like it because it’s like “Pikmin” and they’ve got the different colors, different abilities and you can send them off to do different things. But it’s also totally different. The minions are evil. They kill things and set fire to things; you don’t find “Pikmin” doing that!
Fonte: http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/02/09/codemasters-new-overlord-wii-game-is-for-the-hardcore/

Impressões:

One of the more pleasant surprises of New York Comic Con '09 was the appearance of a playable build of Overlord: Dark Legend. When I came upon the game, it was sitting unattended, with no one around to demo it, or no controllers to play it with. I had to sneak some controllers out in order to play the game, but since it's in pre-alpha mode, I couldn't even get the thing out of debug mode. I had to cry for help to Dan Robinson, Marketing Manager for the game's developer Codemasters, in order to get the game running.

What I saw is not likely to be fully indicative of what we'll get from the game when it's released later this year. Still, I probably know more about how well Overlord: Dark Legend is coming along than most people on the planet, so I figured it would only be right to tell you what I know.

For those that don't know, Overlord: Dark Legend is a prequel to the original Overlord. Just like the original, Overlod: Dark Legend is about a stereotypical "dungeons and dragons"-style villian parading around the countryside with a horde of minions behind him. You can direct your minions to do your biding for you, as well as control the Overlord himself, all on a quest to establish yourself if the most powerful villian in the land.

At times it looks better than The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, at times it looks about the same. But probably the coolest thing about the game's visuals is the fish-eye lens effect on the game's camera. Not only does it add some flair to the otherwise standard visuals , but it provides the player with a much wider view of the game's environment. Being an action/RTS hybrid, it's important for Overlord: Dark Legend to show you as much of your surroundings as possible. The camera also stays relatively far away from the action most of the time, which like in most Wii games, helps to keep you from seeing how ugly some of the game's textures are.

The camera does zoom in for a close up occasionally, like during a new attack where you grab one of your minions and shake them until they become explosive. This move is unique to the Wii version of the game, and requires you to first select a minion, then violently shake the nunchuck; simulating the act of strangling a midget. Shake the nunchuck for too long and you minion will die from the trauma, but shake them just enough and they'll run from you in terror, only to explode a few seconds later. These exploding minions can be used to destroy walls or attack enemies from a distance. I'm told that this is just the first of many new features that will be exclusive to the Wii entry.

Using the pointer on the Wii remote makes it easy to quickly direct your minions. In this early build of the game, there wasn't that much to direct them to do other than attack some sheep, a few giant beetles, and some ninjas. "Ninjas?" I asked Dan, who had yet to tell me much about the game's storyline. "Yeah, ninjas" Dan whispered "they're new for this version of the game as well." He went on to tell me that the game's script, written by "the Discworld guy's daughter" Rhianna Prachett, was to be a lot more in the parody vein than the original game.

This time, the Overlord is sort of an "evil Cinderella", a teenage boy who is regularly abused by his evil two brothers (who may end up being his step-brothers in the game's still-evolving script). This abuse leads to brooding and anger; an anger that serves as the perfect motivator to start an evil army of magical killing machines. Along his quest for power, the Overlord will meet a bunch of generally loved characters from Grimm's fairy tales, and find them to be a bunch of jerks. Little Red Riding Hood is apparently something of a two-faced bitch, and Gingerbread men are angry little fuckers who'll see you dead before they let you take a bite out of them. (WANT!!!!!! Emo Overlord!!!)

Overlord: Dark Legend was the fourth Wii game I played at the New York Comic Con that would reportedly use "laugh out loud" comedy to win over "casual and hardcore gamers alike" (the other three being House of the Dead: Overkill, MadWorld, and Ready to Rumble: Revolution.) It's great to see comedy becoming a more dominant force in gaming, but it's also a little scary, because nothing is more annoying than a 10-15 hour game that's totally un-funny.

At this point, Overlord: Dark Legend could go either way on the comedy front, but when it comes to gameplay, everything is looking pretty solid. The controls are much easier and more fun to use than on the original, the graphics look good, and the Pikmin-meets-Shrek scenario is well at home on the Wii. I'm not sold yet, but I've got high hopes, which is all you can ask for from a game that's this early in development.
Fonte: http://www.destructoid.com/ny-comic...ly-build-of-overlord-dark-legend-120992.phtml

Última edição:
The camera also stays relatively far away from the action most of the time, which like in most Wii games, helps to keep you from seeing how ugly some of the game's textures are.

The controls are much easier and more fun to use than on the original, the graphics look good, and the Pikmin-meets-Shrek scenario is well at home on the Wii.

Como é que ficamos? Decidam-se...

Este jogo despertou a minha atenção. As premissas prometem. :P

Preview:

'Overlord: Dark Legend' Impressions From NY Comic Con 2009

Dark Legend serves as a prequel for the original Overlord title and sets up the origin story of the titular character from the first game. Codemasters charged the Climax development team to bring out the personality of the game’s signature minions. “People just identified with the minions the most,” said Robinson, “so we wanted to give gamers what they wanted.” By bringing out the personality, Codemasters meant throwing sombreros and feathered caps on the imps that carry out the Overlord’s bidding and even giving players the ability to turn individual minions into a kamikaze bombers. How’s that for personality?

Gamers will control the Overlord with the Nunchuk and use the Wiimote to manipulate the minions. The categories of minions are limited to four, which is based on the Wiimote’s D-pad that you use to select between the red, brown, blue and green minion types. The different colors denote different abilities, strengths and weaknesses. Robinson cited Pikmin as an influence on the minion-color-to-minion-ability scheme. Simply select the type of minion you want, point the Wiimote at an enemy to attack or a lever to pull and send them on their way. As for the aforementioned suicide bombing, the Overlord can select individual minions, grab’em by the throat and shake the little bastard til it starts to glow and smoke. Drop the minion, point at the target and off trots the happiest little suicide bomber this side of the jihad.

Strategy and RPG elements come in to play in Dark Legend as you put together your posse of minions at various spawn points. The number of minions you can select fluctuates throughout the game, forcing you to make some tough choices. The overall content of the game stays true to Overlord form. Gamers will face cuddly sheep, small dwarves, animated gingerbread men and get the chance to rip them all a new one. “We wanted to make a statement with Dark Legend,” said Robinson, “We wanted to show that the Wii can do proper games, with depth and great graphics.”
Fonte: http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/6...g4tv&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=TheFeed

Não o acabei no pc :( shame... Mas ainda o vou jogar é na minha wiizinha, sentadinho no sofazinho :D

Os gráficos estão de louvar sim senhora :)

Última edição:
Fiquei deveras interessado.

Vi este jogo quando este tópico ainda só tinha 1 página e não liguei muito ao que vi ... mas estes últimos videos deixaram-me WTF :O

Back