Wii Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros

Entrevista C3:

Adam Riley: First of all, can you tell us how long this project has been in development and how large the team working on it is?

Hironobu Takeshita-san:
We began researching the concept around autumn time in 2005, just about 2 years ago. During the largest phase, our team was about 50 strong. But now that we’re into the final stage of development there just under 30 people.

AR: What made you choose a traditional adventure style that people normally associate with the PC?

HT:
The reason we went with this style might have something to do with the fact that our director is a huge fan of PC style adventure games. The extreme simplicity of this style of game makes it very approachable to just about anyone. Also, the Wii Remote is extremely well suited to the traditional adventure game system.

AR: What was your inspiration for the lead characters? And where did the general idea of the game’s theme come from?

HT:
The game’s “pirate” theme had already been decided beforehand. We really wanted players to enjoy going on all types of adventures. And adventurers are upbeat, high-spirited, and sometimes a little naughty. With that in mind, we thought that a young boy would fit perfectly in a pirate setting. A characteristic of Zack’s design is his head. His bandana, hairstyle and captain’s hat were all designed to give the feel of a young boy who dreams of being the big captain of a pirate ship.

AR: The Press has been overwhelmingly supportive of Zack & Wiki with the likes of IGN campaigning for readers to buy it. Does this put any added pressure on the team in the final stages of development?

HT:
The support of the press from early on has been a great encouragement to us and the team is working very hard to meet their high expectations.

AR: How come the name changed from Project Treasure Island Z to Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros’ Treasure?

HT:
The original working title “Project Treasure Island Z” was more or less a direct translation over from the Japanese title “Takarajima Z”, as no one outside of Japan would be expected to know what Takarajima meant. However, we thought “Treasure Island” conjures up too many images from the famous work of the same name. We wanted to make a break from that and give this new game a new and fresh image, so we decided to make the names of the main characters the title. The “Treasure” in the sub-title is a vestige of the working title “Project Treasure Island Z”.

AR: Do you have estimated sales projections for the game? And if these figures cannot be released yet, despite adventure games traditionally being strongest in Europe, do you have any thoughts about which region the game will appeal most to?

HT:
We do have some rough estimates. Unfortunately, those numbers aren’t public. As you’ve pointed out, in Europe adventure games are extremely popular, and we have high expectations for that market. In North America, action and first person shooters are the dominant genres, but with the support of the media, we are very optimistic about the North American market as well.

AR: Have you found it hard to work on Wii? There has been much praise for the artistic style of Zack & Wiki – was this different approach anything to do with the Wii’s inferior power when compared to PS3 and Xbox 360?

HT:
Thank you for the compliment. In this game, we are aiming for a consistently good level of graphics. Recently, as hardware performance has improved, game graphics have become more detailed. Consequently, often this invites situations where there is so much information on the screen that the player doesn’t know where to look. Or, characters that look beautiful when static can look muddled when in motion. So, this time we set out with a clear purpose to design simple characters and backgrounds, emphasising silhouettes to give a warm, uncomplicated, 3D feel. Clear, fun characters that when they move feel good to the eyes. Basically, pure graphics for gaming.

AR: It has been mentioned a second player can get involved in the game, but could you elaborate on this function, please?

HT:
This game is, in principle, a single player game. But, it may help to call on friend or family members when you get stuck on a puzzle. I think it would be great to have everyone gathered around their Wii all excited. Watching your friends try stages that you’ve already cleared can be just as amusing. More than a function, I’d like to think of it as just another way to enjoy the game.

AR: It has been said that the game will last around 40 hours. With adventure games generally being around 1/4 of that length, are you concerned that people may grow tired of the experience after such a long playtime?

HT:
Well, it should take somewhere between 16 and 20 to play through the main game. To completely do everything possible in the game, like collecting all items and extras will take a while longer.

AR: Has any thought gone into including WiiConnect24 features for new updates to the game or releasing new puzzles via the Wi-Fi Connection to extend the game’s longevity? (If not, please explain why)

HT:
We won’t be using that function this time around. This type of network function can be very useful for expanding the main storyline, however it also presents the paradox of limiting how much of the game can be played initially. We were more concerned with allowing the users to fully enjoy the game straight out of the box than with expandability.

AR: Zack & Wiki seems ideal for becoming a big name franchise for Capcom. But do you have plans to turn Zack & Wiki into a full-time series with future instalments coming out on Wii?

HT:
Personally, I am very optimistic. But, in the end, it’s the user that determines the fate of a game. By all means, give us your support, so that one day Zack & Wiki may become as successful as other Capcom franchises!

AR: And given the touch-screen capabilities of the DS being extremely suited to this genre, what are your thoughts on the idea of a portable Zack & Wiki in the future?

HT:
The idea of a portable version of Zack and Wiki seems like an interesting one. The touch screen could have a lot of puzzle-solving potential. If there is a demand, I’d definitely like to give it a try.

AR: Finally, what games (other than your own) have been taking your interest lately?

HT:
That would be the Wii version of Mario Kart that was recently announced at E3. I’m especially interested in how the network play will work.
Fonte: http://www.cubed3.com/news/8483/1/Capcom_Talks_Zack_&_Wiki_Wii,_DS_Version,_Sequels_&_More

Imagens:

173.jpg
172.jpg

171.jpg
169.jpg

Entrevista:

Interview: Zack and Wiki Producer Says It's Your Fault If You Suck

Wired News: I would really like to know about your history with Capcom, the first games you've worked on.

Hironobu Takeshita:
The first game I produced was in 1995, Breath of Fire III. After that, I did BoF4, Dragon Quarter. I produced the Capcom-made Disney titles like Magical Mirror on GameCube and the Nightmare Before Christmas game on PS2 and Xbox. After that I worked on a game called Beat Down, and then Ultimate Ghosts N Goblins. This year I'm working on Zack and Wiki and Wii Love Golf.

WN: Where did the inspiration for Zack and Wiki come from? It seems very similar to older PC games that I used to play about 10 years ago, although I really don't see people making games like that anymore...

HT:
That's exactly it. The director of Zack and Wiki is a really big fan of PC point-and-click titles. He played those for many years. After he joined Capcom, he was always saying that he wanted to make one of those adventure games himself. So when we decided to make this adventure game, we were able to combine some of the elements of PC point-and-click games and also use the Wii remote control motion system and put them together into a sort of action/adventure/puzzle game, which really allows us to create a new experience for players.

WN: What's the name of the director? What else has he done at Capcom?

HT:
Eiichiro Sasaki. He did Resident Evil Outbreak, and before that, Power Stone.

WN: Did he ever mention specific PC games that were an inspiration?

HT:
[Extended sigh in which is conveyed the meaning "this is going to be a really difficult question"]

All: [Laughter]

HT: Princess Tomato In The Salad Kingdom, and Dezeniland. Also Spelunker, which is that game where you die really quickly.

WN: Speaking of which, Zack and Wiki really seems opposed to the usual ideas about how games have to hold your hand, you're not going to die, and it's going to be easy for you, by just killing you really quickly. Sometimes you'll start a level and just die because of the first thing you touch. Has it been difficult to push this by the powers that be, to make a game that's really cute but also very difficult as well?

HT:
It was initially pretty difficult to get people to believe in us and believe in this game. Capcom had decided rather quickly to make a new type of game on the Wii, so that itself wasn't difficult. But even though the development team knew it was going to be a very interesting game, it was a little bit more difficult to explain to the sales and marketing divisions. After all, it is a more minor genre, and Capcom is known for publishing a lot of Mature-style games. So to create this kind of game that was designed for everyone, it was a little difficult. But getting to play it at events like here or at E3, the reputation of the game really improved and a lot of people started looking forward to it. And that gave us a lot of confidence in the product that we had.

WN: How does the final design of Zack and Wiki diverge from those classic old PC games? What did you decide was bad about those games that you could do better with Zack and Wiki?

HT:
In terms of the PC point-and-click adventure games, I feel that those are quite a simple genre, they are complete as a genre, there aren't many problems within that genre. They are games that anybody can pick up and understand how to operate them rather quickly. So I didn't think there were many things that needed to be changed. But one of the major things that we changed was, when we first started making this game, the rules of the game that were when you died, you had to start over from the beginning of the puzzle again. But after focus testing the game in the US, there were many people who complained about this rule, and who wanted to be able to start again from the point where they died. So one of the major things that we have changed, that is different about this game, is that there's a system where you can buy your way back to life after you die.

WN: But what's interesting is that sometimes that can add a little bit more difficulty to it, because you can get to the point in a level where you cannot complete it, die, and bring yourself back to life, but you've already arranged it so you can't complete the level, so you're wasting a token.

HT:
There are many different puzzles that we want users to enjoy in this game, and one large part of that are "chain puzzles," where you need to solve things in a certain order, and if you mess up the order, you are no longer able to solve it. So in that case, if you mix up the order and you fail or you die, the god who comes down and brings you back to life, he will come down and tell you that you have failed and that you have to do it from the start again. But needing to understand that you have to redo the puzzle from the start, that in itself is a part of the puzzle as well.

WN: Another puzzle I found really interesting is that there are puzzles like where you have to keep track of a bunch of colored soda bottles, and if you don't keep track of them mentally, the game's not going to help you...

HT:
There are puzzles where, if you don't look properly at the hints in the start, you're going to be in trouble. But one of the main ways to play this game is to look at the screen. You have to look at the screen -- all the answers that you need to solve the puzzles are there on the screen. There are some people who say they don't understand the puzzles, but really, they're not paying enough attention. All the answers to the puzzles are right there if you're able to solve them.

But if you are really unable to solve the puzzle or if you're stuck, you can press the 1 button on the controller and the god who gives hints will come down to help you.
Fonte: http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/09/interview-zack-.html

Muito bom mesmo, este jogo foi considerado por muitos como uns dos melhores da E3 deste ano e está cada vez com melhor aspecto.
Compra obrigatória.

Este jogo surpreendeu-me desde as primeiras notícias/trailers, e cada vez tenho menos vontade de esperar para o comprar... mesmo que tenha de desembolsar 50€ +/-.

IGN Review

Mais um jogo espetacular para a Wii!
9.0, o IGN tb deu 9.0 ao outro jogo da Capcom: RE4
Parece que a Capcom acerta com todos os seus jogos.

Última edição:
No inicio que estava um bocado céptico em relação a este jogo, mas estas reviews só me vêm surpreender :) talvez seja mais uma para juntar ao metroid e ao mario neste natal :D

Já agora o preço previsto é de quanto?

Adorei a review, mas quando chegaram as notas... podiam ser um pouco mais elevadas.

Repararam no que ele disse mal do jogo? Quase nada, só apontaram um defeito devido á vozinha japonesa e irritante.

Realmente...falaram tão bem no video mas depois nas notas podiam ter sido mais elevadas mas deu para ver que o jogo está muito bom...dizem que depois do Wario é o jogo que melhor uso dá ao Wiimote e que em termos gráficos está lindo.
Como disse antes, este é compra certa!

Back