Wii [Wiiware] World of Goo (1500 pontos)

Posso dizer que sinto exactamente o mesmo que tu Cigarro Rosa! Vou a meio do terceiro capitulo, cada nivel me surpreende cada vez mais.

Só lhe falta mesmo um editor poderoso e possibilidade de partilhar niveis. Com isto seria concerteza o jogo do ano (para mim).

Excelente!A banda sonora lembra um filme do Burton!Esta óptimo o jogo,algo realmente tão simples funciona tão bem!
È o melhor jogo wiiware que já joguei ate agora.

exelente, so e pena nao dar para aumentar um pouco a resolucao..

atrovia um bocado tar a jogar no monitor 24" a 800x600 :)

Por isso é que preferi esperar pela versão Wiiware. essa resolução fica bem na TV.
Mesmo assim, o Gamefaqs diz que podes modificar manualmente a resolução da versão PC.
--------------------------------------------------------
Program Files -> World of Goo -> properties -> config.txt
Isto se o teu problema for estares a jogar numa janela, não deve aumentar a resolução dos sprites.
Compro este para Wii de certeza, para já é que não porque tenho outras prioridades :p

Acabei de terminar o jogo. Acho que não tenho paccência suficiente para tentar obter OCD em todos os níveis. A torre ma alta que fiz tinha 30 metros. Foi um jogo fantástico, muito divertido. A ideia foi muito boa e original.

Por isso é que preferi esperar pela versão Wiiware. essa resolução fica bem na TV.
Mesmo assim, o Gamefaqs diz que podes modificar manualmente a resolução da versão PC.
Program Files -> World of Goo -> properties -> config.txt
Isto se o teu problema for estares a jogar numa janela, não deve aumentar a resolução dos sprites.
Compro este para Wii de certeza, para já é que não porque tenho outras prioridades :p

Eu jogo em modo janela ^^.

Última edição:
Já tenho o jogo para PC, mas como queria jogar a 2 comprei-o para a Wii também. É uma experiência diferente, está muito bem adaptado para os controlos da Wii, mas se fosse hoje não sei se voltaria a comprar. Para quem já jogou no PC não introduz grande novidade.

Wii domina revenue do jogo:

2D Boy's Carmel On The Goo Route To Indie Success

In a keynote at the Independent Games Summit on the Monday of Game Developers Conference, 2D Boy co-founder and World Of Goo co-creator Ron Carmel presented a forthright talk about how to succeed as an independent developer.

One of Carmel's key points for success? "What you need to remember is that you're not starting a company, you're making a game."

Along the way, he revealed a lot of specifics, including exactly how much money his two-man company spent making the WiiWare and PC hit. He revealed that they spent $4,000 on hardware, $1,000 on software, and $5,000 on QA, plus $5,000 for localization and $5,000 for legal fees.

Including living expenses of $96,000, it cost $116,000 for the two years they spent making the game. Even with $60,000 in pre-orders for the PC version of World Of Goo, the 2D Boy duo were each $28,000 out of pocket when the game launched.

Basically, Carmel explained, it's as simple as this - you need to "make a good game" and have something unique about it. But as an astute businessperson, he launched into some very helpful sales specifics. He revealed, via a chart, that 25 percent of all World Of Goo sales in 2008 came from 2D Boy's website, and Steam was a smaller slice.

Retail was only responsible for between 2 and 3 percent of their revenues, and WiiWare was a majority, around 55-60 percent -- though he did note that Steam was a much larger percentage in 2009. Interestingly, on 2DBoy.com thus far, 65 percent of paid PC downloads were for Windows, 25 percent for Mac, and 10 percent for Linux.

Carmel then asked the question -- why go with a publisher? He doesn't believe that publishers are that important for digital distribution, and for 2D Boy's publisher relationships, they started out okay, but after time, "the wedding band started to look something like this," Carmel said, showing The One Ring from The Lord Of The Rings.

He listed his publisher offers -- starting with an $180,000 advance on 10 percent royalties, though the unnamed publisher said it was "not original... a niche product." Then there was a $225,000 advance, then a$425,000 advance on 20-24 percent royalties, and finally a $700,000 advance on 30-35 percent royalties.

But the cost of goods, shipping, and marketing would be deducted from the royalties. That offer also came with the publisher holding rights to DS and XBLA versions, and right of first refusal for sequels. A final offer ended up being $700,000 advanced on a 15 percent royalty rate.

So the 2D Boy duo worked out whether they could beat the $700,000 with a combination of their own site, Steam, and WiiWare, thought they could, and decided to "dump publishers altogether." Carmel concluded, when it comes to pairing with publishers, "don't do it," and suggested a flat-fee upfront deal for regional retail publishers. He also noted that for digital distribution, you should focus on the big guys to get your game into a prominent distribution area -- PSN, XBLA, WiiWare, and Steam.

(...)

The 2D Boy co-founder then showed a graph of direct, WiiWare, and Steam sales over time, although not with exact numbers. He particularly noted that a Steam 25 percent-off sale quadrupled the revenues for that week.

Interestingly, total 2D Boy website sales on the Linux release were double that of launch day -- even if you can't make money just from a Linux port, "publicity from the community is huge" for major Linux titles, he noted. The final, insanely large bump was due to the 75 percent off sale on Steam.

In the Q&A section at the end of the talk, Carmel explained that the title had no design document, and a "very iterative process" overall. He claimed that not having a design document "allowed us to create lots more positive things with the game."

He also commented, "Our philosophy was to value design over finances," although this created stress in the game's second year when the two were running out of money.

So what is 2D Boy's next title? According to a comment at the end of the lecture, it's going to be The Sophomore Effect: An Intentionally Mediocre Game.
Fonte: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=22866

Versão Wiiware responsável por 55/60% dos lucros totais gerados pelo jogo :eek: e saiu depois, muito bom.

EDIT: Entrevista na Nintendo Magazine UK:

Making Of World Of Goo
The development of a WiiWare Classic

In a gaming year that brought us high-profile blockbusters like Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Bros, Wii Fit and Professor Layton, two men from San Francisco managed to shake the games industry to its core by releasing a little downloadable game about sticky balls.

It scooped countless 'game of the year' awards and saw its creator, 2D Boy, hailed as leaders of a brand new independent gaming revolution. We loved it too, and proclaimed it to be the best WiiWare game ever released. And we meant it. This is the amazing story of World of Goo...

Acceptable In The 80s
There are plenty of TV shows and websites out there that poke fun at the '80s and, to be honest, they're mostly right. Having lived through them in our formative years, we can tell you from experience that they were pretty grim. We're not sure if it was actually the law at the time, but it seems any photo from an eighties childhood had to feature at least one bad haircut and horrendous item of clothing, or worse, a bum bag.

But the '80s are fondly remembered in gaming circles. For these were the days when bedroom coders ruled the world and a game created for next-to-nothing could break out with ease and make its creators and publishers plenty of cash from practically nothing. We suspect that these are in fact the only people that remember the '80s with any genuine fondness.

The slightly over-elaborate point we're getting to is that, back in the '80s, low-budget games carved out of nothing but love and devotion ruled the gaming world. As the industry grew, these days came to an end as development teams grew and consoles took the initiative. It became impossible to make games unless you had a proper job at a proper studio with a proper publishing deal.

Then the internet happened. Independent developers now had a chance to create and distribute their creations with ease, and, like everyone else, Nintendo saw this as a fantastic opportunity. WiiWare was born.

With a means of distribution and the right tools readily at hand, we're gradually seeing the return of the bedroom coder, and leading the revival is a charming, inventive and frankly brilliant title developed by two men. Just like they used to make 'em.

They are Ron Carmel and Kyle Gabler, and the game is World Of Goo. We caught up with the team collectively known as 2D Boy after our glowing 95% review...

What are your backgrounds before starting up 2D Boy?

Ron Carmel:
I've been toying around with making games since I was 10 years old, but only started doing it professionally in 2004 when I got a job at EA's pogo.com

Kyle Gabler: I tried to make a 3D engine in QBasic a long time ago when I was a dumb kid before I found out that 3D actually hurts games and 2D was the future.

How did the idea for World of Goo come about?

Kyle:
World of Goo sprouted out of a very small game prototype called Tower of Goo that I had made back in grad school as part of the Experimental Gameplay Project. The whole game was a little green hill with 100 globs of goo who wanted to build higher and higher. The basic goo construction mechanic turned out to be fun to play with and the goo balls were very ambitious, so Ron and I decided to give them a whole world to play in!

How long did it take to perfect the physics engine in the game

Ron:
At first we wrote our own physics engine. It was pretty limited but very fast. After a few months we swapped it out with an open source physics engine called ODE (Open Dynamics Engine), which was slower but allowed us to do a lot more with the game. It took a couple of weeks to do the swap but it took a lot longer to tweak it so that everything felt right.

The art style is utterly charming. What influenced the overall look of the game?

Kyle:
Thanks a lot! The art style, especially the bushes and trees, were mostly inspired by Dr. Seuss. I'm not a very good, or fast, artist, so I decided early on that the art had to be more iconic than detailed and that every piece of art must serve the level in a meaningful way - so no ornaments or detail if they were not useful for gameplay or the story. It was also important that the levels and maps felt cheerful on the surface, but grounded with slightly sinister undertones, since the big theme of the game involves excited, eager Goo Balls colliding with the cold, ambiguously evil World of Goo Corporation. The music followed similar rules as well.

There's also plenty of humour in World Of Goo. What inspired this, and do you feel that games made by large corporations are often missing this sense of fun?

Kyle:
We just had a lot of fun making the game! And it never takes itself seriously. I'm not sure how big corporations operate but I know if I had a lot of muscles and carried a big gun and a world weary scowl painted onto the 3D mesh of my face, I wouldn't be able to stop laughing and feeling all my muscles.

How difficult was it to get the game out? Are there particular people that helped you out along the way?

Ron:
Winning awards at the Independent Games Festival was a really big turning point for World of Goo. After that, everything seemed to happen on its own. Darren and Corbie at WiiWare World and the boys over at Rock Paper Shotgun gave World of Goo a ton of love and I think that really helped get the ball rolling.

Kyle: Also Matt and the guys at IGN have been wonderful and brave to champion us - a weird indie game amid a more hardcore readership, from the beginning as well. Chris Evans is an indie journalist who has gotten us to leak info more than once. There are a bunch of people who we are extremely grateful to, since the only reason anybody knows who we are is through word of mouth and journalists who take a chance on strange little indie games.

Your website speaks of the 'indie revolution'. Do you think WiiWare will be a key part of this?

Ron:
Yes, WiiWare is certainly a part of it, and so are other digital distribution channels, but the core of the revolution is more game developers taking more risks and making strange and wonderful new games that none of us can even imagine until we actually see them.

Have you been taken aback by all the acclaim World of Goo has attracted? Do you feel it is merited?

Kyle:
It wasn't too long ago that I thought we'd never actually finish the game. When we finally did release it, we had no idea what people would think of this thing we had built. The reception so far has bowled us over. It's been surreal, and it's allowed us to meet people from all around the world. On the other hand, there are a bunch of Super Smash Bros. fans who want to get all melee on us, so I suppose it balances out. (wut? smash?)

What next for 2D Boy? Can you give us an idea of what you're working on next? Or a sense of what you hope to achieve in the future?

Kyle:
It's still really intimidating thinking about what the next big game will be. So, to make the process fun and lively, currently our plan is to prototype lots of little game design experiments and possibly discover something brand new. If that doesn't work, we'll just get old and think about that time we made that game about little sticky goo balls.

Finally, we have to ask, have you made buckets of cash from World of Goo yet?

Ron:
So far we've made 3.7 buckets of cash and we plan to use it to make more weird little games. And maybe one day build a base on the moon.

Kyle: I think I'm going to go ahead and put moon rocks in my bucket.
Fonte: http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=7551

Mais uma Entrevista:

How successful has World of Goo been? Has it fared best on the PC or on the Wii?

Kyle:
It’s been about 8 months since we released World of Goo, and our heads are still spinning. Now that we are really old men, we have taken time to reflect that quitting our jobs to make an indie game was not entirely a horrible life decision our parents and friends thought it would be. The little goo balls did change our lives though, and now nothing we ever do will ever be received as well, so nobody should ever buy games from 2D BOY anymore. WiiWare is responsible for about 60% of revenue. Windows/Mac/Linux versions account for 40%, with retail accounting for less than 2% of revenue so far. Ron compiled a bunch of good numbers into his gdc talk if anyone is curious.

Obviously World of Goo was a big project for yourself and Ron to complete, looking at your recent series on the 2D BOY site we can see and even play the game at various stages of development. What has it been like going back over these old builds?

Ron:
Those were the good old days, the days of blue sky brainstorming and 30 hour weeks. The days of playtesting and experimentation and prototyping. It was like putting together our own episode of This Is Your Life and laughing at our youthful shenannigans. The second year of development was very much a desperate race against time, with one leg missing, clawing our way to the finish line, and it left a bitter aftertaste. It’s good to remember the infatuation phase that gave us the determination to finish this thing.

This seems to be a standard question in any interview after a game has been released, but is there anything you would change about World of Goo?

Kyle:
There are tons of curious little mistakes and quirks in World of Goo. Sometimes Goo Balls suicide themselves off cliffs. Sometimes players can squish balls past the giant red robot head in that one level to rescue almost everyone in the level. Some levels allow clever players to win with zero moves, using sneaky ball-flinging tricks. But I think I like that unusual things happen here and there. We are not a big shiny game studio with dozens of layers of QA. Players seem to enjoy discovering tricks, and hopefully the slightly rough edges show that our game was duct taped together with love.

What do you think of all the fan made World of Goo things like the claymation video?

Kyle:
The claymation video, and other fan art we’ve seen, like stuffed goo ball pillows, and Fisty the Snow Frog, and Electric Lady Generator Thing with Real Glowing Eyes, makes us the happiest 2d Boys that we possibly inspired things, and we choose to ignore that gametrailers and nintendo had a bunch of electronics and tickets to E3 for whoever made the best World of Goo stuff. For anyone who hasn’t seen the claymation video, it’s on gametrailers here. She really nailed the mood, and even added to the fiction of World of Goo.

What was your intention behind the Rapid Prototyping Framework you released recently?

Ron:
The framework was already there for World of Goo and we thought it might be interesting as a learning tool to game developers who are just starting out, or interesting to more experienced developers just to see how we structured the code. It was also a relatively small task with a clear goal that made it easier to transition from "I’m totally burnt out and can’t touch any code" to "OK, maybe I can play around with some code without having a seizure."

Do you have any plans to restart the Experimental Gameplay Project? You recently told me you were working on something with Kyle Gray of Henry Hatsworth fame, what is this all about?

Kyle:
Yeah! I’m working to bring back the Experimental Gameplay Project with Mr. Gray and our other friend from grad school Allan Blomquist. It is a Think Tank for us and other indie developers who just want to have fun, force us to be creative, and a direct competitor to Will Wright’s Stupid Fun Club. Watch out cute robots. The goal for right now is to run monthly competitions with other indie friends – each month, everyone makes a game, based on some theme, and each person is allowed to spend only 7 days of the month. Our first competition ends at the end of this month – the theme is "unexperimental shooter". So get ready for a bunch of really bad shooters. We’re just getting our new site at experimentalgameplay.com up and running, but it should be online next week for our first round of games.
Fonte: http://thereticule.com/2009/06/a-quick-chat-with-the-2d-boys/

Back