Xbox WWE Raw 2

Korben_Dallas

Zwame Advisor
Out of all the THQ World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) games, the Raw series has been the most visually impressive. Its graphics made it seem like you were controlling a television broadcast of the WWE's flagship show Raw. Its detriments were a lack of match types and several little details that still made it decidedly feel like a videogame. The next installment of Raw aims to address its precursor's shortcomings, making it one step closer to the real deal. Though it's a ways off, what I was able to see at E3 showed tons of promise. With any luck, the game will hit your harder than Rob Van Dam's five-star frog splash.

To show off the new graphics, I was shown a match between Triple H and Rey Mysterio Jr. (pronounced Raymond Stereo Junior). Right from the ring entrances I could tell that the developers at Anchor are adding more of the little details that make the wrestlers come to life. Triple H walked to the ring in his slow, methodical, and arrogant manner (you'd walk that way too if your nose was that big). His shoulders were tensed, he sipped from his water bottle, and spit a spray of water into the lights -- just like he does in real life. Rey on the other hand, popped up from a low platform and athletically ran to the ring as fires were blazing. One of the game's producers said, "The wrestlers don't all walk like they have a cob of corn up the butt anymore." Well said.

In the ring the wrestlers displayed improved animations and a wider variety of moves. Gameplay is being augmented similarly to what's going on with the WrestleMania series on GameCube; there will be a wider variety of grapples and strikes, plus ways to counter them. Gone is the tug-of-war like momentum meter, replaced with an EKG like indicator. When a wrestler is pumped and has the crowd going, his meter if wildly fluctuating. After a few Stone Cold stunners and bash with a chair, the meter will flatline.

More match types have been added to the game. The final list includes Triple Threat, Fatal 4 Way, Battle Royal, King of the Ring, and TLC (Tables, Ladders and Chairs) matches. The create-a-wrestler mode is also being enhanced, but I was not able to see it at the show.

The beefiest addition is the new career mode. Up to four players can participate in a season. In addition to the wrestling -- which, let's face it, is only a fraction of what goes on in the WWE -- you'll need to participate in all kinds of deeds, both dastardly and noble. Heels (the bad guys) will go around stealing the belts of champions or trying to run over a competitor with a vehicle. Faces (the good guys) will come to the aid of a wrestler in need and defend all that is sacred in the WWE (i.e. Stacey Kiebler's lower body). Since four players can participate in a season, you can swerve, aid, betray, befriend, and do all sorts of things with your buddies.

My personal favorite addition is the game's ability to use songs from your Xbox hard drive. Coupled with the create-a-wrestler's custom ring entrance functionality, I can at last make a burly man march to the ring to the sounds of Britney Spears' "Oops... I did it again."

Originally slated for a spring release, WWE Raw 2 is now scheduled for a September date. With its improving action, graphics, and presentation, the game might be the perfect companion for those crisp autumn days.
fonte: gamespy.com

wwf258.jpg

Back