Web Graphics Exploit Marching Across Internet

greven

Folding Artist
A new malware has appeared Thursday on several Windows machines. It uses a novel vector (code in web pages). All a user has to do is view a page with this malicious graphic, then the code automatically downloads onto the machine. Once downloaded the program will unpack itself as a keystroke logger. This is an Internet Explorer vulnerability.

Security experts are tracking a new piece of malware that appears to be compromising large numbers of Windows PCs and may be laying the groundwork for the creation of a large spamming network or a major attack in the future. Analysts at NetSec Inc., a managed security services provider, began seeing indications of the compromises early Thursday morning and have since seen a large number of identical attacks on their customers' networks. The attack uses a novel vector: embedded code hidden in graphics on Web pages.

When visitors to a few particular Web sites—including popular auction, shopping and price-comparison sites—request pages that include the malicious graphics, the code automatically downloads itself onto their machines. Once installed, the code unpacks itself and loads a keystroke logger on the PC. NetSec officials said the attack seems to exploit a vulnerability in Internet Explorer. The code then forces the machine to contact two IP addresses—one in Russia and one in the United States. The Russian site is hosted on a broadband connection and is part of a network known for spamming and other transgressions. After contacting these sites, the tool then downloads some other files to the compromised machine. NetSec officials said they are still analyzing the code and are unsure what the exact purpose of the new attack is.

News source: eWeek

Pois é, iE do it again! :|

http://news.com.com/Corporate+Web+s...rs'+PCs/2100-7349_3-5247187.html?tag=nefd.top

This time, however, the flaws affect every user of Internet Explorer, because Microsoft has not yet released a patch. Moreover, the infectious Web sites are not just those of minor companies inhabiting the backwaters of the Web, but major firms, including some banks, said Brent Houlahan, chief technology officer of NetSec.

Researchers believe that attackers seed the Web sites with malicious code by breaking into unsecured servers or by using a previously unknown vulnerability in Microsoft's Web software, Internet Information Server (IIS). When a victim browses the site, the code redirects them to one of two sites, most often to another server in Russia. That server uses the pair of Microsoft Internet Explorer vulnerabilities to upload and execute a remote access Trojan horse, RAT, to the victim's PC. The software records the victim's keystrokes and opens a backdoor in the system's security to allow the attacker to access the computer.

IIS e IE em grande.....e desta vez são sites legitimos e não há patchs.

Mas gostei desta frase.

"I told my wife, unless it is absolutely necessary and unless you are going to a site like our banking site, stay off the Internet right now," he said.

.....Ou então não usar o IE.

EDIT: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5290386/

Thousands of sites affected by mysterious infection

Vamos lá ver quem é que hoje vai abrir o IE para jogar à roleta russa :p

Última edição:
eu só nao uso o mozila porke não me carrega os favoritos do IE. já instalei, desistalei e nepias não me carrega. se alguem souber fazer isso manualmente, sem ter de ir a cada pagina e adicionar aos favoritos do mozila, agradecia..

JMRR disse:
eu só nao uso o mozila porke não me carrega os favoritos do IE. já instalei, desistalei e nepias não me carrega. se alguem souber fazer isso manualmente, sem ter de ir a cada pagina e adicionar aos favoritos do mozila, agradecia..

Do Mozilla não tenho experiencia, mas se não me engano o Moz firefox 0.9, depois de instalares, qd corres a 1ª vez aparece um menu para importação de favoritos do IE ou duma versão anterior dele.
Só vi esse menu uma vez e não o usei, por isso quem tiver a experiencia, que diga.

exactamente, mozila firefox é o ke tb uso,( bem tá instalado apenas uso em paginas ke não tenho nos favoritos) e esse menu ke falas de importar os favoritos, tb já me apareceu e correu tudo bem. nesta ultima instalação do windows instalei o firefox sem ter ainda copiado a pasta dos favoritos do ie. ou seja não carregou os favoritos do ie. a questão é memso éssa, é se dá de alguma forma para impostar agora, ou copiar para alguma pasta do moz firefox...... ou outra forma...( reinstalar não resolveu..)
danke

File->Import

Depois é só escolher para importar o que quiseres do IE. Tanto bookmarks como opções e etc.

Bookmarks = Favoritos

ptzs disse:
File->Import

Depois é só escolher para importar o que quiseres do IE. Tanto bookmarks como opções e etc.

Bookmarks = Favoritos

quem sabe sabe....... muito obrigado era mesmo isso.... as vezes as coisas mais simples, parecem as mais dificeis.........

lah vai o ie para um canto...

Back