PC/Mac/Linux Outlast (Red Barrels)

Joguei este jogo até ao fim e está brutal. Gostei imenso do final. Deixo um comentário que vi sobre o final que pode "clarear" algumas mentes :)

Alright, here's the timeline:
-German Scientist is working on nanotechnology, among other things, for the Nazis.
-German Scientist manages to create some form of sentient cloud of nanomachines. Basically, whatever they did alters your own body to make your cells produce additional molecules. Those extra molecules make up the nanomachines. So now your cells do normal cell things, but also produce tiny little robots. They also mentioned something about carcinogenic research, so it's likely that they used the properties of cancer (the part where cells reproduce a lot) to in some way boost the production of these machines.
-Whatever the Scientist created, it killed most of the Nazis he worked for. He let the Nazi survivors believe that it was the "Walrider", some form of mythical beast from German legends that messed with people as they slept. It caused night terrors and such. He allowed the rest of the Nazis to kill themselves in the hopes that it might release some sort of spirit thing like the patient did. Of course, since they didn't have whatever therapy they were giving the patient, all that really happened was their death.
-At the end of WWII, when the US found all the death camps and horrible labs that the Germans and Japanese had set up, they pardoned some of the Nazi and Japanese scientists in exchange for their research. In some cases, the US even hired these scientists in order to conduct slightly more humane extensions of their research. That's not game lore, that's real life. Many of the technologies that we take for granted now really were due in part to the research done by Nazi and Japanese scientists. As horrible as it is, modern medicine was advanced greatly due to the downright evil experiments done by these scientists. Anyhow, this ties into the game because it's really heavily hinted all over that this supposedly dead German Scientist was actually smuggled into the country at the end of WWII due to his research. One of the documents says that it was as much about hiring him for his research as it was hiring him to keep him out of "enemy hands".
-This is where MKULTRA Project (another real thing, you can read the conspiracy theories around the web) comes in. In real life, the project had to do with hypnosis and personality augmentation. The details as far as how successful they were or what the real aim was remain scarce and sketchy, but in the game's lore the Murkoff corporation hires some of the guys from that, heading the team with German Scientist. He names the research "Project Walrider".
-Murkoff corporation buys the asylum and reopens it.
-Project Walrider, headed by German Scientist, takes the mentally ill that Murkoff Corporation provides and uses some combination of "sleep therapy", hypnosis, and medical mucking about to create test subjects for that big machine at the end. The ultimate goal seemed to be a military application. I would guess that they thought they could use soldiers as hosts to create these nanomachine clouds, and then those nanomachine clouds would do to enemy soldiers what the Walrider does to everyone in the game. It's another one of those evil superweapon projects gone wrong, using the mentally ill as test subjects because people don't seem to care too much what happens to the mentally ill.
-The big guy, Chris Walker if I remember his name right, is a failed test subject. Presumably, the carcinogenic part of the research causes him to bulk up like crazy. Murkoff has tons of problems with this guy even before things go off the rails. I can't remember exactly what his backstory was, but we'll touch on that a bit more later.
-Billy Hope becomes the first successful test subject. Unfortunately, this means he creates a scary cloud of sentient nanomachines. All hell breaks loose, by which I mean most of the test subjects break loose while the cloud kills all the staff. Most of everybody dies, either at the hands of the patients or at the "hands" of the nanomachine cloud. From here on out, the patients refer to it as the Walrider.
-Pastor Martin likely already had some issues, but he finally found something to worship in the Walrider. It's invisible, it kills all the guards and doctors that hurt him while more or less sparing the patients. As far as salvation figures go, the Walrider makes a pretty good candidate for something for him to worship as a god.
-At some point, The Naked Twins and a few others join the congregation. They're very much free agents, but they respect Pastor Martin enough to not kill you while he's around and leave you alone after his death.
-Chris Walker, free from his containment, begins killing most of everything. I'm not certain at the end of the game why he was so keen on killing you, but hey, everyone's gotta have a hobby. We see him kill others, it's likely that he just fixated on you because you got away. I wasn't 100% certain of his backstory, he might have been one of the staff originally, which could explain him attempting to protect the secrets of the facility. It's written in the notes that he babbles about "containment". Either way, he's free at this point in the story. You know the rest from there.
-YOU enter the story here. Glorious, wonderful, defenseless you. You're there to record some conspiracy you've been tipped off to.

At that point, you played through the story, so I'll skip most of that. The only person worth mentioning that I haven't yet is Tragor. It's never really certain what his deal is. He's an executive, not a doctor. Either he went crazy from working with the stuff Murkoff had him doing, or he is another one of those insane scientists that Murkoff hired but didn't list on their payroll. Some of the documents cast doubt on both theories. They say that Billy somehow finds out stuff about the corporation and project Walrider through "blood memories" provided by "Dr. Tragor", but the only Tragor they have on file is Richard Tragor, an executive. My own personal theory is that some temporal or spacial anomalies have been created by project Walrider. Somehow, his nanomachine "ghost" breached containment and provided information to him. That could be that the ghost saw Tragor killing people and spilling corporate secrets. The temporal aspect comes in there, as Tragor might not have declared himself a doctor and started messing with people yet. Or maybe he was, and word just hadn't reached the writer of the document yet. Perhaps I missed or misread a document somewhere which mentioned Tragor being one of the patients. Then the ghost would have someone to spy on and get information from. Either way, all you need to know you witnessed yourself. Tragor is a crazy guy, and he cuts your fingers off. It's not likely that he has much connection to the deeper elements of project Walrider. I'd say at best, he'd be a likely candidate for the guy medically prepping the patients for being subjects in Project Walrider. That's if he's a part of it at all. Many of the patients were already crazy and when they got out just started doing as crazy people do. It might not matter much when, where or how Dr. Tragor became what he is, because what's important to you is that he's the guy who cut your fingers off, and he's hell-bent on carving you up some more if he catches you.

-Now we've skipped to the end, and you're meeting German Scientist. Billy has latched onto him, and regards everyone and everything that looks like staff or soldiers as a threat. German Scientist is as murky on the motives as you are, but tells you that you're most likely not getting out as long as Billy is alive. Given that he's already murdered Chris Walker in front of you, you're inclined to believe him. As for why Billy didn't kill you then and there, it's theorized that Billy didn't see you as a threat yet. Meanwhile Chris Walker seemed to have some sort of military background or affiliation. If nothing else, he's a huge, hulking monster of a man, and that'd be a threat to German Scientist. So he kills Chris Walker and spares your life, allowing you to meet up with German Scientist. Once you're done with him, you set off to kill Billy so you can escape

-So you kill Billy, in the hopes that this might shut down/destroy the nanomachines (the Walrider), but in the process of cutting the life support the cloud of nanomachines grabs you a few times and stabs you. The nanomachines disappear, you fall and appear to break a leg, and Billy is kinda, sorta mercy-killed.
-Just as you're about to limp your way back out of the facility, doors open and there's a whole squad of soldiers aimed at you.
HA HA! You've been had! You got in, cleaned up their mess, and you're even holding all the evidence of what they've done! You're the best cleanup agent ever, all by accident! German Scientist is present and watches as the soldiers kill you dead.
-As you die, you hear the screams of the soldiers. Gunfire, screaming and death are the last sounds in your ears. Double Double-Cross! You were carrying the nanomachines in your body when they killed you! Apparently it can jump hosts, who knew? You certainly didn't, and who'd be around who would even know what the machines are capable of? It already killed all the doctors, and they were way into uncharted territory. Looks like the cloud of nanomachines has broken loose again, this time with nobody anywhere capable of stopping it, and nothing keeping it in place.

I loved the ending, I thought it was great. It wraps everything up, and leaves a grim conclusion. The best horror stories have the worst possible outcomes as endings. Hopefully, you learned something you missed and you better understand the ending, the characters, and the Walrider itself. The biggest thing to remember is that it never really was a ghost, and that the patients simply thought that the cloud of nanomachines was the mythical Walrider, based off of superstition and rumors they heard. Hell, for most of the game you might have been right there with them, thinking there was an honest-to-god ghost hunting you down. Nobody really had any way of knowing what the Walrider was until you met German Scientist and he told you about it.

If you understood all of this already, I suspect that the problem is tha tyou just don't like the ending. And that's fine, just keep in mind that this game was all about the journey. You were supposed to wonder throughout the whole game. You were supposed to question, you weren't meant to understand. The designers wanted to keep you guessing as to what was going on. Are these events supernatural? What's up with the patients? How do X and Y fit into the Z conspiracy? Why did character A do this to me? What happened to character B prior to my arrival? You're supposed to keep asking these questions. It's what keeps you going. Looking at it that way, if you still have questions, the game was a huge success.
But, you might be wondering, what happens next? What was the point? ...Why?
Well, those are questions that good horror stories leave you with. If it makes you feel better, hold out for a sequel set in a world plagued by a rogue nanomachine cloud.
In the meantime, I find it more fulfilling to simply sit back and imagine the world we left behind. Come up with some stories on your own, what happens to people? What happened immediately after the protagonist's death, to the German Scientist? What happens to the citizens living a few miles from the asylum, when the Walrider wanders into their town? What's the story of the local law enforcement officers, dealing with this rogue cloud of nanomachines they have no clue about? Who comes and finds the camera you left behind, who watches the footage?

You don't have to like the ending. In fact, you're probably not supposed to. What you can do is appreciate the ending. That means that you understand that the ending did what the creators wanted it to do, and it did so very well. If you left the game feeling empty, or sad, or otherwise upset, and that was the point of ending the story like that, then the creator succeeded. And what more can you ask for from a horror story? Having it upset you is pretty much the point of the whole thing. It would have been a decent ending if you'd stumbled your way out and told everyone the truth, maybe showed them your video. But you already knew that story before you even started. You know that then the law enforcement comes down on Murkoff, the bad guys go to jail, the patients get actual help elsewhere and you live to be a hero. That doesn't really fit the feel of the rest of the story, and it's one you can pretty much recite without having ever seen it. Instead, let's leave you with a thousand other stories of what might be. Let's give you an ending that's horrible, just like the rest of the game's events. You'll walk away and you'll still be thinking about the game after you finish it. You might even come here and discuss it with people.

Este jogo foi realmente muito bom, conseguiu manter o ritmo do principio ao fim praticamente, muito melhor que o Amnesia Pigs que começou a ter bom ambiente quando acabou. :-D

Cada vez sou mais fã dos Indie e este sem dúvida que vale a pena. Às vezes pagamos balúrdios por jogos AAA quando estes Indie oferecem experiências muito superiores, a custar 1/3 do preço ou ainda menos. O problema é que, como não têm o marketing das grandes companhias, apesar da qualidade passam ao lado de muita gente.

Bem, se andam a comparar isto com o Amnesia ..

É que o Amnesia foi o jogo que menos me meteu medo. Honestamente o que mais me fez borrar todo foi o Slenderman , Resident Evil 3 e F.E.A.R.

São estilos diferentes de induzir horror, acho que não dá muito bem para fazer comparação directa. O Amnesia inspira um terror muito mais psicológico, ao contrário do FEAR, Resident Evil e companhia.

A "piada" do Outlast está em o personagem não ser nenhum herói ou rambo, é uma pessoa banal. Não tem acesso a armas de qualquer espécie, não é nenhum soldado super treinado e em super forma física, apenas está munido de uma câmera de filmar. Ou seja, cria o cenário mais assustador e frágil possível, fugir e esconder para proteger a vida.

É um tipo de terror que talvez não agrade a todos, há quem goste de coisas mais gráficas.

Exacto.

Apesar do facto que gostei muito do Amnesia. Apenas não o achei super assustador como o faziam ser.

Já os outros mencionados, gostei muito mas muito.

Vi também o vídeo deste jogo, e convenceu-me. Por isso acho que vou deixar cair a peseta independentemente :)

Eu cheguei a fazer um video de 30minutos.
A atmosfera é brutal, passado uns 10 minutos estava completamente dentro do jogo.
Tanto que no final desse mesmo video mandei um berro tão grande que ia morrendo, isto por causa de um jump scare não scriptado

Já agora, pelo que reparei do jogo é meramente um explorar de cenários, com uma história engraçada por trás, e pelo meio meio vai dando para interagir e matar qualquer coisa. È isto, ou tem algo mais?

Tens inimigos, tens puzzles faceis, tens de abrir umas coisas para ires para outro lado ou assim, mas tens sempre gajos a rondarem-te logo não é nenhum explorador de cenários.

Por falar dos puzzles. Sim são fáceis. Acbam por ser quase a mesma coisa. Por exemplo:

*tens que ir a um gerador para teres luz*

*chegas ao gerador e ele precisa de actives duas ou três alavancas para poderes activar o gerador*

Os puzzles acabam por ser assim e chega a um ponto que não há novidade. Mas devido a atmosfera, o ambiente, o facto de haver sempre alguém pronto a nos matar, acabamos por não nos aperceber muito disso.. estamos mais preocupados em não morrer do que outra coisa :P

Back