[Wii] Deadly Creatures (THQ)

Preview:

Deadly Creatures Preview: Creepy Crawlers

It’s astounding to me that Deadly Creatures, or a game similar to it has never been made. At no point in the past 30 years has anyone ever really attempted to combine two things that ten-year-old boys love so much, creepy creatures and video games. It seems like it would be a sure thing, but, up until now, no one has really attempted it, but thanks to THQ’s Rainbow Studios the world finally has a worthy entry into the arachnid simulation genre. Get ready to be creeped out – Deadly Creatures is not entirely what it seems.

Sure, Deadly Creatures could have been a pretty straightforward game where all you need to do is survive the wilds of the animal kingdom… but when you dig a little deeper there’s a whole lot more going on. You play the game as two of nature’s most dangerous characters (also known as two things you never want to find in your bed), a scorpion, and a tarantula, exploring the desert around their home and unraveling the a mystery of a missing treasure.

The way the levels are set up, you alternate back and for between the two insects, with both characters offering a different skill set for their specific levels – the tarantula is the stealthy ninja, and the scorpion is the bruiser tank. As the game progresses you get to unlock different skills and attacks for each of the animals, allowing them to take down bigger enemies and reach new areas of the levels; both of which are key as the story unfolds.

In an interesting twist, the scorpion and tarantula aren’t the main characters in the plot of Deadly Creatures, they play a sort of a tangential role in progressing the story forward while they fight to stay alive. As you battle your way through the cracks and crevasses of the Midwest’s desert you are privy to the conversations of two treasure hunters, played by Dennis Hopper and Billy Bob Thornton, as they do their dirty work to find what they are looking for. It’s quite an interesting take on what has become the standard narrative for video games, where the story is centered around the character that you are playing as, especially since as a tiny creepy-crawly monster you are privy to information that the two gold diggers aren’t – the dramatic irony is almost Shakespearean. As the story progresses, levels are set up, and the plot comes alive courtesy of overheard conversations between Hopper and Thornton’s characters, and the bugs get to partake in their own level of discovery. But that’s enough about the humans; everyone wants more about the scary things in the game.

The idea for Deadly Creatures originated from the Wiimote’s ideal simulation of a snake’s slithering and attacking. However, once the development team realized that that was pretty much all you could do with a snake, and they decided to change up the idea a little bit, and center the game around the scorpion and tarantula – fortunately for you snake lovers out there, there is still a rattlesnake in the game playing the role of the tarantula’s nemesis. The team settled on their choices for a lot of the elements of the game based on their proximity to the desert, while the desolate setting of the game may be fictional, it’s still a very atmosphere in the desert around Rainbow Studio’s Pheonix office. Every enemy in the game is real, and can actually be found in nature; from the metallic blue wasp with the second most painful sting in the world, to the horny toad that shoots blood from its’ eyes – nature is so freaky, you couldn’t make better stuff up.

Oddly enough, where gamers have become accustomed to exploring vast worlds that span thousands and thousands of miles, Deadly Creatures takes place in less than a mile of space; since the perspective of the game is sized down, the world seems immensely bigger. While it might seem like that means that you’re going to be playing the same area over and over, you won’t, the level design offers a wide variety of different types of levels. There is a gas station that plays a central role in the story that can be seen off in the distance from almost every level of the game, but it takes the span of 10 chapters to finally reach it. Deadly Creatures also features 15 different types of enemies, ranging from bugs to lizards; all of which come in different varieties as well as have their own unique finishing move for the scorpion to execute when it defeats them.
Deadly Creatures is a little boy’s fantasy, and a little girl’s nightmare. While crawling around on the ground battling ripping off wasps’ wings or avoiding attacking lizards isn’t everyone’s definition of fun, there’s a lot of people out there that should let their inner-child run free and squash some bugs when the game hits store shelves next week.
Fonte: http://www.truegameheadz.com/blogheadz/deadly-creatures-preview-creepy-crawlers/

Parece-me muito bom.

Bem malta, estive a jogar á pouco este título.

O que posso dizer?! Pouca coisa, visto que só joguei 15 minutos ... agora tenho aulas :S Sinceramente gostei, e não era um título que me estava a chamar muita atenção. A perspectiva de jogar como um insecto acaba por ser bastante interessante, e a forma como o mundo em nosso redor está recriado está muito bom.

Um promenor que não posso deixar de referir são as animações dos animais, estão muito, mas mesmo muito boas. Joguei como uma aranha e a forma desta se mover está sensacional. A jogabilidade está muito boa, apenas tive uns problemas com a camera mas também exprementei á pressa (infelizmente não dá para controlar a camera - pelo menos não consegui, por isso pode ser que seja possivel - ponto que não gostei).

Cheguei e um boss e posso dizer que embora fácil, foi uma expriência muito fixe.

Por fim, penso que os gráficos podiam estar bem melhores, mas isto já começa a ser uma constante critica a jogos de uma plataforma que é superior ás máquinas da última geração, mas na prática não o demonstra (com a excepção de alguns casos).

Tenho que exprementar mais ...

Última edição:
Mais imagens:

nffc3t.jpg

120mpsw.jpg

281y251.jpg

14csnrn.jpg

rtp5qe.jpg

2n8r7yc.jpg

nqppac.jpg

e80ak5.jpg

O jogo está agora a sair, se puderem comprem que os tipos merecem. Ainda por cima por causa do clima económico a THQ cortou a budget de advertising (não vão haver anuncios de TV), isto num titulo que já era dificil de vender pela temática.

Impressões comunidade GameFAQ's:

PROS
----------

Okay, so to start out right away...if you are interested in this game, buy it. It's a really solid action/adventure game with fighting. Not to mention, the more people who buy 3rd party efforts like this, it will mean more good games like this.

Now with that said, I would suggest reading IGN.com's Review - since I pretty much agree with it and it's a fair assessment of the game. If this game came out "last gen" on the PS2/Xbox/GameCube it would be touted as a great original I.P. It's very formulaic, but that's not the worst thing. I thought I'd try like 10 minutes of it and next thing I know an hour went by. There's a move UPGRADE system that keeps you wanting to see the next thing.

Both the Scorpion and Tarantula are very cool, by the time you play through the 1st two levels you'll be hooked. Scorpion is the tank and his cinematic finishers are pretty great. The Tarantula is the stealth/ranged fighter, my personal fav, but it's close.

Levels bring variety and suprised way more than I thought they would. I was worried everything was going to look like level 1 (the box art look), but the colors and locations are varied enough. It has this Metroid-ish thing where you get powers later in the game and then you can go back and access area you couldn't before. Very cool.

Finally, huge props to the (2) button and the Arrow Pointer. This is a god-sent and this game would be broken without it. Because you can crawl walls and even upside-down getting disoriented is commonplace. The (2) button / Arrow feature fixes all that.

COMPLAINTS
---------------------

My complaints about the game are mostly trivial, which is a compliment to the game itself. The Wii-Mote (like so many other games) is mostly unneccessary. Besides going into 1st Person mode with the Spider to shoot webs via pointer - all the waggle moves just aren't as responsive as a button push. This is frustrating when in a battle with 2 or more creatures. To the developers credit, they put an option in to adjust the waggle response.

This is a pretty polished game, yet on the menu screen the only way to navigate is with the D-pad. You control the creatures with the nunchuck, but that can't select the options. It's not a big deal, but you'll notice how weird it is to needlessly switch. Why no pointer-select in menus either?

The "Extras" are really weak. Bill Bob's Interview in Extras is pointless, he goes on and on about snakes? And it's pretty boring. Also, concept art (while cool to see) sucks as unlockable incentives. A 3rd creature to play as would have been killer, perhaps one of the bosses (they already have the animations done).

The last is, and this is just a "fanboy" wish. They should have had some kind of "Creature-pedia" in the options. There are so many cool creatures and you can see them in the menus and what their worth, but no deeper info. That would have been a nice touch, but obviously if it was between that and polishing the game, then I'd choose polish.

BOTTOM LINE
-----------------------

A very good game, albeit short and minimal replay value. Sorry but collecting all the GRUBS won't make we want to go back and play it again, especially since it's never layed out what you get for it. Which to some then an 8-10 hour adventure might only merit a rental, especially considering the trade-in value of this game will be like $15 in two weeks.

But if you are interested I wouldn't let that detour you from picking this up. It's an original idea that is well done. After playing it you'll already be thinking of all the cool possibilites for a sequel. Let's make sure they make one by buying this game!

SCORE: 7.8/10

I have played through the first 3 chapters and i have to say i am enjoying this game very much. The graphics are really good. the fighting mechanic works really well. You earn different combo moves. you have different things to collect which open up different things throughout the game (not giving to much info. dont want people saying i spoiled anything). I really like the way the levels are made. It takes a minute or two of looking around before you realize what it is you are crawling on or around. In the short time i have been playing I have had two boss battles, which were done really nicely.

Got it, and am about 2 hours in. And so far, am loving it. As mentioned, the atmosphere is done amazingly well. The ambient sound effects / music meld very well, and the graphics are by far the best I have seen on the Wii to date. This game finally proved to me that the Wii does have the potential for awesome, clean graphics. Very original, and very fun so far.

And to answer the question above, you do not pick the animal you want, the game chooses for you. The levels are designed for specific creatures. You do end up playing thru certain levels switching off at certain points to the other bug. There are certain areas only either the tarantula or scorpion can reach, due to them each having different abilities (ie; the scorpion cannot jump, yet the spider can, the scorpion can bash thru weak barriers, the spider can't, ect.)

This game is awesome!

Impressões GAF:

O.k. a few chapters in...

- Visually this game is great, attention to detail everywhere.
- Sound is excellent, really sets the mood for everything.
- Combat is fun, it's a little Wii-basic (move remote this way or that) but it feels nice and the finishing combos are a treat.

and no, I didn't shit my pants.

Damn, this game doesnt waste any time in getting interesting...Im liking the hell out of it so far. I love the sound as well, as its setting the mood and flow of everything very nicely.

Good purchase so far.

To be completely honest, Im loving the hell out of this game, which i really didnt expect to do. I thought it would be a fun little thing to play through during a dry period, but **** that...
Right from the title screen, it sets a very serious mood. Ive gotta go to work, so i cant type up a really great impression yet(im sorry :^/ ) but ill say this....sometimes, this game looks like a sub-60fps metroid prime. The first thing i thought about when i walked into the semi-wide open desert was doing the exact same thing in metroid prime 1, looking at all the details and whatnot. No, its not as intricate, and no its not as technically impressive....but damn, sometimes you catch a certain camera angle while playing and you cant help but stop and take it in for a second. Not only does it look really nice(lots of geometry does the trick), but you actually see some pretty cool things which i wont spoil. Also, the animation doesnt look as "snappy" while you are actually playing it. It still has its issues at times, but for the most part, the animations look pretty decent, with some being a bit too convincing(such as walking slowly with the spider) The jump with the spider could have used a bit more work, as it doesnt really flow consistently, but it gets the job. I also like how the scorpion cant jump, but he can defend(unlike the spider). One more small note...before starting the game, id suggest going into the options and turning the sound effects up a tad bit. Its set at the same volume as the music, so sometimes they get a little smudged together and its difficult to understand the voicework.

Im actually pissed that i have to leave...Id rather sit here and continue playing this gem

:D

Gametrailers não achou nada de especial :/ A nota do gameplay foi fraquinha.
No Gametrailers o que interessa mais não é a nota... (tanto que só agora que li vocês a falarem é que me apercebi da nota) o que interessa ali... é o que eles dizem do jogo.

Por exemplo, se bem me lembro o chibi robo teve 6.7 e é capaz de ser a melhor review do jogo... Mas... 6.7 não reflete o jogão que é, mas a review em si, sem o score breakdown sim.

Um 7.3 devia ser muito bom. O que acontece é que para a maioria dos sites e revistas, incluindo o GT, um 7 em 10 não é superior a um "razoável". O 7.3 deles para mim é um 5.5 ou 6.0, at best.

Este é mesmo daqueles que vou deixar passar. Tem um conceito e uma apresentação fantásticos, mas as reviews que tenho lido vêm confirmar a percepção que tive através dos vídeos. Talvez uma eventual sequela.

Não é uma prioridade para mim, mas não o vou deixar passar, não, gosto de jogos originais :P, acho que não o devias tmb, nem que depois o compres em 2 mão, mais barato ;) e este para além de o ser tem um visual fantástico, e adoro a perspectiva a partir dos insectos, é um mundo completamente diferente...

Eu também acho piada ao ambiente do jogo e dou mérito aos tipos por terem tentado. Pode até acontecer que tenha oportunidade de jogá-lo e que me surpreenda, e aí talvez o compre, agora não me vou lançar num leap of faith quando tenho reservas demasiado fortes para ignorar em relação ao jogo.

Claro, claro, eu estou meio como tu, mas digámos se tivesse dinheiro para dar lol era na boa, mas como não, tenho outras prioridades, The Conduit, Madworld, A linha play on e assins ;)

Entrevistas com os actores:

-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z04IyLjAkYo (entrevista com Dennis Hopper)
-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKo_7Baaf4o (entrevista com Billy Bob Thorton)

Nota: Estas entrevistas são desbloqueáveis no DVD do jogo.

EDIT: Postmortem na GameDeveloper deste mês:

0905gd_cover_200x271.jpg

Postmortem: Rainbow's Deadly Creatures

Original, adult-oriented titles on the Wii are a rarity, and even fewer games possess the rather odd arthouse aesthetic of Deadly Creatures. Rainbow, known for its racing games, organized a small team of developers to build a creepy-crawly, action-adventure, original game for the Nintendo Wii.
Fonte: http://www.gdmag.com/homepage.htm

Back